CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

How did i hang on a SS camaro!!!!!!!

well i was out in ontario,CA tonite..just got back, its 2:38am

well the only race i was in was with a camaro SS

if your from So cal you know ontario is a ghost town at night...thats why everyone goes out there to race...

well 2 camaros..late Z28 and a early model SS camaro...Firebird and some old V6 stang turned into this one street not too far from where the actual street racing was going on...So i decided to follow

they pull over to the side and i pass them giving them a quick rev..(basically i just hit the gas pedal and let off quickly)

i turn around not expecting any response and pull over on the opposite side of where they were.

the SS follows and lines up with me...and his buddy comes out of his Z28 running towards the middle of our cars yelling out

"OOO we got a race!" note the cars i mentioned above were the only ones on that well lit industrialized looking wide open street...

Well in my car there is too other people including me! only the driver was in the SS..

Anyway the Z28 driver yells out to us

" you ready"

And me being so excited and anxious of what might happen i try and drop the gear shifter to 1st...but for some reason you have to press down alittle bit but i had trouble doing so, happenes alot...so i said the hell with it and i brought it back to "D"

I rev up leaving my foot on the brake and so is the SS. The Z28 driver throws down his hands yelling GO!

For a quick second i let the car roll first, then mash it... now i already knew i would get smoked but i apperenly I launched better because i got the jump and was on this guy for 2 seconds! :o:o

After that he passes quickly, but only leads by 1/12 cars !

he shuts down right before some fat speed bump in the middle of the road...i kik the E brake and quickly catch up to him since he stopped and turned first...

i get on his passanger side and ask to roll his window down and the expression on his face :huh:

Mine and his exact words:

Me: Hey man is that a real SS?!

SS: yeah its an SS, you were quick man !

Me: EXACT WORDS: N* power doode!

we then dirve back to the the street from where we started the race and where his "club members" were at.

That same Z28 driver who said " OOOO we got a race" came up to me and was telling me how he told the SS driver to race me because I would be a challenge…we had a quick conversation about the cars and they asked me if I wanted to join their club

“Team punishment”

I accept the card and tell him I will think about it…I go back to the car and I tell my friends

“ I think these guys are just busting my balls…I think they just want me to join there club right, so i can pay that sytupid monthly fee!?”

Both friends that were in the car currently drive s13s (Nissan 240sx) and didn’t have a clue about what just happened… why I almost beat a SS and such….

And another thing I forgot to mention is that the SS driver told me his car is stock and doesn’t really need any mods because it has “350hp”

I tell him “ isn’t it 320hp” he said naw ..I left it at that

i then went on thinking about it after i droped both friends off later that night and now im thinking about it now...so what do you guys think of all of this? Should i put up the BS flag or what? i need rest now

Should i put up the BS flag or what?

I don't know -- you were there and we weren't. They do low 5s 0-60 and low 13s quarter mile. Stock mid-90s STSes do high 14s quarter mile and high 6s 0-60. He's 1.5 seconds quicker and at least 10 mph faster in the quarter than you. You know what your car does and what his car does; now you can decide if he was playing with you or didn't know how to drive, etc.

Jason(2001 STS, White Diamond)

"When you turn your car on...does it return the favor?"

There's a Camaro here where I live that's got the 5.7 engine and he takes the car to Englishtown to race every so often.

If you really want to make people safe drivers again then simply remove all the safety features from cars. No more seat belts, ABS brakes, traction control, air bags or stability control. No more anything. You'll see how quickly people will slow down and once again learn to drive like "normal" humans.

the reason im asking you guys is because i don't know whether or not i should be happy i hung on...oh hell he was messin' with me :angry: never mind

Well, if it was a real race, of course you should be happy! You hung with a 13.2 second car in the 1/4 mile. Our point is, you'd have to HEAVILY modify a Seville to get into the 13s, so if you guys were dead even, my suspicion is he wasn't extracting the full potential of the car, for one reason or another. ;)

Lots of things happen in the street. All it takes is him assuming he did not have to try hard, or spinning overlong, or missing a shift. One of the advantages of practicing with an accelerometer or at the track is that you learn how to drive the car well.

Bruce

2023 Cadillac CT4-V Blackwing

Follow me on: Twitter Instagram Youtube

Lots of things happen in the street. All it takes is him assuming he did not have to try hard, or spinning overlong, or missing a shift. One of the advantages of practicing with an accelerometer or at the track is that you learn how to drive the car well.

I keep on telling this kid he should take it to a track. He just doesn't understand the advantages and the LEARNING experiences of driving at a track meet.

If you really want to make people safe drivers again then simply remove all the safety features from cars. No more seat belts, ABS brakes, traction control, air bags or stability control. No more anything. You'll see how quickly people will slow down and once again learn to drive like "normal" humans.

I don't know what to thinmk of this anymore...maybe i have a 13 second STS??? :D

I doubt it. Like Marika keeps suggesting to you, take the darn thing to a track and find out. You'll NEVER know what your car will do unless you take to the proper venue, and the street is not a proper venue. Safety considerations aside, there are so many variables on the street where even if you're measuring with a G-tech, you probably won't get repeatable performance. The track has a groomed surface and they know the altitude there. The surface at the track will be a good launch pad (unlike many places on the street), and they know the altitude there so they can correct the time back to sea level for you.

Archived