CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

2000 deville engine mount

bjaworski

I have a 2000 Deville that had its engine replaced by Cadillac due to a cracked block at 29K miles. I recently had to have two crankshaft position sensors replaced and was told that my front engine mount was jumping on acceleration which I have never noticed and that the mount was split. I questioned this as I have never experienced any jumping. I questioned that the splitting could have happened as a result of having the engine replaced. I was told this was not a warranty item and would have been caused by wear and tear. The car currently has 68K miles on it and the replacement was done in June 2002. They are quoting $500 for replacing the engine mount. The car has only been serviced mechanically the the local dealership except for oil changes. Should I take the car to another Cadillac dealership or mechanic for another opinion? Any input would be of help as I am moving from this are shortly.

I have a 2000 Deville that had its engine replaced by Cadillac due to a cracked block at 29K miles. I recently had to have two crankshaft position sensors replaced and was told that my front engine mount was jumping on acceleration which I have never noticed and that the mount was split. I questioned this as I have never experienced any jumping. I questioned that the splitting could have happened as a result of having the engine replaced. I was told this was not a warranty item and would have been caused by wear and tear. The car currently has 68K miles on it and the replacement was done in June 2002. They are quoting $500 for replacing the engine mount. The car has only been serviced mechanically the the local dealership except for oil changes. Should I take the car to another Cadillac dealership or mechanic for another opinion? Any input would be of help as I am moving from this are shortly.

You can check the engine for excessive movement yourself. Open the hood, start the car, put it in D or R, and with your left foot FIRMLY on the brake pedal press the gas pedal with your right foot. Watch the engine. Any movement of the engine more than some 1/2" should be considered excessive. This is called "powerbraking". Be careful, car can move if you do not brake properly.

The saddest thing in life is wasted talent

• 8 months later...

Your repairs sound just like mine!

I own a 2002 Deville and just replaced the front engine mount and the two crankshaft position sensors as well. $800 for both repairs at my Cadillac dealer. What troubles me a great deal, and perhaps some of you on this forum can help is the fact of having to replace those items to begin with. My car has only 44K miles, I don't drive it much (that many miles in four years), and it seems to me odd and troublesome to replace items such as the front engine mount at such an early mileage. The mechanic at the Cadillac dealer explained how the engine moves up and down and gave me all the details about this problem. It just seems to me that this repair might point to a design flaw perhaps. I have owned other cars, certainly not as nice as my Deville, but never heard of this type of repair especially at a relatively low mileage.

How common are these problems, i.e., replacement of front engine mount and crank position sensors? I don't want to part with my Deville, but have started having the feeling that perhaps this cay may turn into a bottomless money pit.

I spoke to a manager a the Cadillac dealer about my displeasure and deep concern with these repairs and that I felt that I should not have to pay for these repairs. I have not heard back from them, yet, but I do intend to take this all the way to the top at GM if I can. Meanwhile, I thought I would mention these repairs on this forum and would appreciate your comments a great deal.

Crankshaft position sensors were a known problem from 2000 thru early 2003. The new replacement sensors are not problematical.

The motor mount can be replaced by a competent mechanic for considerately less than $500. Motor mounts are a rare problem for folk here, many of whom have way over 100K miles on their Cadillacs.

Likely the Crank Sensors (CKP) can also be replaced by a general repair shop for less than dealer price.

Regards,

Warren

Posted Image

There is no means of avoiding the final collapse of a boom brought about by credit expansion. The alternative is only whether the crisis should come sooner as the result of a voluntary abandonment of further credit expansion, or later as a final and total catastrophe of the currency system involved. - Ludwig von Mises

The crankshaft position sensors are very common. GM had a bad supplier from '00 til early '03. They all fail sooner or later. My '02 SLS failed somewhere around 20K, but it was still under warranty.

Your repairs sound just like mine!

but have started having the feeling that perhaps this cay may turn into a bottomless money pit.

Only if you continue to have it serviced by the dealership ;)

Cadillac dealerships a notorious for "creating" problems that need to be fixed. Consider yourself lucky if you take it in for an oil change and walk out without spending $400. If you suspect something is wrong with your car double check with us first...Caddyinfo has saved owners untold thousands in repair costs. If you got a problem, post, don't let the dealer diagnose :lol:

A.J.

Some thoughts I have owned many cars from various makers & they all need repair & maintenance some more than others.

Cadillac's are no different than any other car as far as repairs & general maintenance. All cars need something from time to time. As far as engine mounts it's a heavy car with a lot of power if you accelerate hard and the mounts are old they are going to give & fail. On every car I have ever owned has needed engine mounts I run them hard sometimes and it shows Sometimes the mounts just get old the rubber dries out and cracks or fail just the nature of mounting systems. If they made a mount that did not give to cushion the vibrations & give a comfortable ride the car would ride VERY hard. Crank sensors maybe GM had a bad design bad vendor I don't know about them other than they have an updated sensor which I have them Most of the cars people complain about on this forum are old cars and all old cars need maintenance in one form or another Cadillac's are better than most cars and offer a lot of bang for the money.

As far as Cadillac dealers they are no different than other makers dealers some are good some are bad Hopefully you get a good one I have nothing but praise about the Cadillac dealer I deal with from the sales dept. to the service dept., body shop & parts dept. I'm always more than pleased when they repair my cars, they just have very good mechanics some real top shelf mechanics When I go in the service garage I'm always impressed by their skills. They have a few Guys who can do 80 to 85 hrs of work in 40 hrs & turn that week in & week out every year. I'm just lucky to have a dealer like that near by. OK I'll give them an ATTABOY the dealer is RINKE CADILLAC..

Jim

Crank sensors maybe GM had a bad design bad vendor I don't know about them other than they have an updated sensor which I have.

The issue I have with the 00-03 cranky sensors is that GM knew that they had a problem on their hands with these sensors as early as fall 2001.

IMO GM is doing a disservice to these cars and their owners... From what I have read ALL of these sensors will have to be replaced, a few under warranty, most at 50-60,000 miles, or just off warranty...

GM should be replacing these for free.

caddy.jpg

Easin' down the highway in a new Cadillac,

I had a fine fox in front, I had three more in the back

ZZTOP, I'm Bad I'm Nationwide

Greg

Are you talking about the "wish bone" shaped top engine mounts?You can get one at AutoZone for less than $60 and takes 1/2 hr. to replace it.Too bad they don't sell the bushings for it only.Most of the time the bushing goes bad but you got to buy the whole thing.But $60 is not bad. <_<

Are you talking about the "wish bone" shaped top engine mounts?You can get one at AutoZone for less than $60 and takes 1/2 hr. to replace it.Too bad they don't sell the bushings for it only.Most of the time the bushing goes bad but you got to buy the whole thing.But $60 is not bad. <_<

No, I think in 2000 GM stopped using the top "dog bone". The mount in quetsion is a coffee can sized, oil filled, hydraulic mount that is down at the engine bottom, by the crank sensors. It is about $180 at the dealer for the part...

caddy.jpg

Easin' down the highway in a new Cadillac,

I had a fine fox in front, I had three more in the back

ZZTOP, I'm Bad I'm Nationwide

Greg

Archived