CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Headlights not working 97 deville

mhinchley

Well I just bought this 1997 Caddy Deville last night with 74,000 miles. And wouldn't you know it, the headlights do not activate. Doesn't matter if the twilight switch is on/off. They will not turn on automatically and they won't turn on with the pull switch. The parking lights come on (with the pull switch) but no headlights. Even with the pull switch pulled out all the way (which obviously should turn on the headlights), no headlights are on, and the message center reads "headlamps suggested". Odd I thought, with the pull switch activated, you would think the computer would think the headlights were on and not send that message. If I pull back and hold the dimmer switch, the brights do come on, but as soon as I let go of it, they go off too. And I don't hear a click when I pull back on the dimmer switch. Maybe dimmer switch broke??? I had to drive with the running lights and hazards on for the 80 mile ride home. ANY IDEAS??? By the way headlamp fuse is ok and bulbs are ok as well.

Fuse?

Guess I should read the entire post first. I see fuse is ok. :blink:

2001 STS Mettalic Otter Grey, Black Leather, 213,000 kilometers - miles - ? Still running strong!

Well so far there is no power at the either dim headlight fuses. The circuit must run in series because if I jump either fuse with a hot wire both headlights come on. So now I am thinking headlight switch as mentioned, or dimmer switch. Try the headlight switch first if I can get to it to get it out. Looks much easier then dimmer switch. Think I need to run down and try to find a service manual on this thing before I did too far into it.

ANY OTHER SUGGESTIONS ARE WELCOME AS I AM NEW TO CADDYS AND KINDA SHOOTIN' IN THE DARK HERE.

Well so far there is no power at the either dim headlight fuses. The circuit must run in series because if I jump either fuse with a hot wire both headlights come on. So now I am thinking headlight switch as mentioned, or dimmer switch. Try the headlight switch first if I can get to it to get it out. Looks much easier then dimmer switch. Think I need to run down and try to find a service manual on this thing before I did too far into it.

ANY OTHER SUGGESTIONS ARE WELCOME AS I AM NEW TO CADDYS AND KINDA SHOOTIN' IN THE DARK HERE.

This is not specifically Caddy problem. You will need to remove the wheel to get the switch. Disconnect the battery and remove the airbag fuse before. And I would check the condition of wires inside ignition lock cylinder while you are on it as well. A Factory Service Manual (not a Chilton or something) is a must if you are going take care of the car yourself.

The saddest thing in life is wasted talent

Ok, I got done going through the circuit and checking all fuses-relays, etc. All were good. Finally, I pulled the headlamp switch. When I unplugged the switch whalla..........the headlights-parking-etc all came on.........and the dimmer switch funtioned correctly. So I am guessing it is the switch shorting or something. Don't have a diagram of the switch to check it. So gonna buy a new one or get one from a bone yard and try that out. Otherwise I could always just unplug it when I want the lights on..........haha. Update for future reference once I locate a switch.

Well I just bought this 1997 Caddy Deville last night with 74,000 miles. And wouldn't you know it, the headlights do not activate. Doesn't matter if the twilight switch is on/off. They will not turn on automatically and they won't turn on with the pull switch. The parking lights come on (with the pull switch) but no headlights. Even with the pull switch pulled out all the way (which obviously should turn on the headlights), no headlights are on, and the message center reads "headlamps suggested". Odd I thought, with the pull switch activated, you would think the computer would think the headlights were on and not send that message. If I pull back and hold the dimmer switch, the brights do come on, but as soon as I let go of it, they go off too. And I don't hear a click when I pull back on the dimmer switch. Maybe dimmer switch broke??? I had to drive with the running lights and hazards on for the 80 mile ride home. ANY IDEAS??? By the way headlamp fuse is ok and bulbs are ok as well.

[/q

Sort of had the same problem, had to replace relay in the trunk. I believe its behind rear passengers seat.

Was indeed the headlight switch. Should have went that route first and saved some time. All is well with the lights. On to the coolant change and O2 sensor change now.

Archived