CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

SO61 Right Front Position Sensor Fault Important or not??

jamesg

I replaced CV Axle, Bushing Sway, Stablizing Ba,y replaced both tie rods and a front end align. We checked the connector wires for the sensors in the wheel wells. All are snug and tight. Code will not stay cleared. We even checked the tire pressure. I suspect the Position Sensor wire is bad and need to be replaced. When driving the front ends vibrates as if the tires were shaking. A must fix or not? You certainly can tell the difference.

v/r

James

Did you have this code before the job? If not, check the position sensor carefully. Make sure the link did not come off and that the connector is not damaged and it is fully seated.

Did the front end vibrate before? Did you tighten the axle nut and flange nuts to spec? Check the CV flange for a flush fit. Torque the wheels to 100 ft. lbs.

post-2998-1140294115.jpg

Pre-1995 - DTC codes OBD1  >>

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

The SO61 code will only cause the strut to go to and remain in the firm mode until the code is no longer valid. It should not be a factor in all of the frontend shaking you are describing.

Kent

The Code SO61 was there before the work was completed today. The Shop Mgr was a little shocked the code came back, because we both were out there in the shop with the car on the lift checking the wires and connetion above the wheels in the front and rear. All wires on the right front side seemed fined. As a matter of fact for $292 bucks with taxes, I got front rotors, metallic pads, a right tie rod, right CV Axle and a front end alignment, simply because the Service Ride Control Msg came back on after the Mechanic test drove the vehicle, at this time he waved the labor, deciding the right position sensor was bad. So I cannot complain for that price, going into the shop at 0750 and out by 0930 on a Saturday morning, one of my few days off from work. In the morning when the temps are in the 40's, the code will reset clear and go away, until I reach about five miles from home and the code will return. The left tie rod, bushing sway bar and links, new michelin tires and a front end alignment were completed on 01 Sep 2005. The Current Code SO61 showed up late Oct 2005. The front end really doesn' t vibrate, it feels like the tires are rumbling or or shaking if I travel below 40-45. However if I pick up speed the front wheels will smooth out.

v/r

J

93 STS

• 1 month later...

The Code SO61 was there before the work was completed today. The Shop Mgr was a little shocked the code came back, because we both were out there in the shop with the car on the lift checking the wires and connetion above the wheels in the front and rear. All wires on the right front side seemed fined. As a matter of fact for $292 bucks with taxes, I got front rotors, metallic pads, a right tie rod, right CV Axle and a front end alignment, simply because the Service Ride Control Msg came back on after the Mechanic test drove the vehicle, at this time he waved the labor, deciding the right position sensor was bad. So I cannot complain for that price, going into the shop at 0750 and out by 0930 on a Saturday morning, one of my few days off from work. In the morning when the temps are in the 40's, the code will reset clear and go away, until I reach about five miles from home and the code will return. The left tie rod, bushing sway bar and links, new michelin tires and a front end alignment were completed on 01 Sep 2005. The Current Code SO61 showed up late Oct 2005. The front end really doesn' t vibrate, it feels like the tires are rumbling or or shaking if I travel below 40-45. However if I pick up speed the front wheels will smooth out.

v/r

J

93 STS

Call the junkyard and order the LF height control sensor. I had the same code and I replaced it w/ one from a junkyard. No more S061 problem.

I believe with out the ride hieght sensor not in place, the system will then go more in a passive mode so to speak. which would cause the damping in the sturts not to work. in that event you would feel more vibrations and such.

Michael

v/r

J

93 STS

Call the junkyard and order the LF height control sensor. I had the same code and I replaced it w/ one from a junkyard. No more S061 problem.

Thats the same way i solved my problem.Its been three years now since i put it in and the code still hasnt returned.(Knocks on his wooden shift console :lol: )

Archived