CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

1990 Deville LIVES -- Pass key problem?

sixtires

BWAHHHH!!! IT LIVES! :lol:

I replaced the PCM this morning (it's still hanging under the dash). Had to charge the battery back up because it's sit for so long while I've been working on it with the doors open, etc. Tried starting it and it hit a few times, then died. I poured some more fuel down it's throat (once again) and it roared to life! It's sitting in the garage running as we speak (I'm afraid to turn it off).

I've cleared the original error code (BCM/PCM communication error). So maybe there really was something going on with the PCM. Now I've got two new codes. E58 (pass key control problem) and E90 (cruise control PRNDL switch problem).

The pass key really bothers me. Is it possible it's been the d*mn key all along? I don't really know how this pass key stuff works. Will it allow the car to turn over but just not start? Or, will it not work at all (assuming the wrong chip in the key). I know that's a theft deterrant, but do not know how it really works.

Marko

With passkey, if there's a problem, the engine won't turn over at all. You'll get messages telling you to wait 3 minutes and try again and also get codes that will indicate that the power has been cut to the electrical system.

It's pretty much an ignition kill.

You will have to turn it off eventually, may as well do it now and see what happens.

If you really want to make people safe drivers again then simply remove all the safety features from cars. No more seat belts, ABS brakes, traction control, air bags or stability control. No more anything. You'll see how quickly people will slow down and once again learn to drive like "normal" humans.

Well, it's getting stranger. The PCM I replaced had the same part number as my original, but now I've got something stranger. My speedometer isn't reading correctly. From 0-30 it appears about right on, but man when I'm doing 45-50, it says I'm doing 80.

On the plus side, the car is running great. :P

Marko

I replaced the memcal and all is well. I wasn't aware that even though the part numbers matched, there was another part hidden inside the PCM. All my codes are clear and I'm getting no service engine telltales as I was previously.

BTW, did you know that running the 90 with the 92 memcal I got INCREDIBLE gas mileage this morning? I averaged 36.9 on the way to work. Of course, the speedo said I was going--well, who knows, the needle was buried :lol:

Marko

did you chck the fuel economy while idling? i belive with new PCM you get a positive fuel economy even when you stay at the same place! :lol:

The saddest thing in life is wasted talent

Archived