CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Strange Thing Happened.

Marika

I was driving to work a few weeks ago in that bad snow storm when suddenly it felt as if there was no heat coming through the vents into the car. At the same time, I noticed the engine temperature starting to rise rapidly from the usual 196F to about 237F. I pulled over, put the car in park and stepped on the gas a few times gently to rev the engine which made the heat come back and the temp dropped rapidly back down to around 200F. It's happened again a few times since but seems to be resolved by accelerating the engine gently while in park.

Was the belt slipping, or the tensioner causing a problem or is the water pump going bye-bye. I also hear some rattling noising coming and going from the passenger side of the car in the front near the engine. Any ideas?

If you really want to make people safe drivers again then simply remove all the safety features from cars. No more seat belts, ABS brakes, traction control, air bags or stability control. No more anything. You'll see how quickly people will slow down and once again learn to drive like "normal" humans.

Sounds like the serp belt is slipping. Could be the tensioner pulley going. With the car off, pop the hood and inspect the serpentine belt for frays, splits, and other abnormalities. Then start the car and listen and see if you can isolate the cause. The tensioner pulley will rattle and wobble if it's crapping out. Do visual check on the other pulleys as well. One more thing, check your coolant level. If it's low it'll do that. The rattling sound might be completely unrelated.

"Burns" rubber

" I've never considered myself to be all that conservative, but it seems the more liberal some people get the more conservative I become. "

I would check the coolant level also.

Water pumps on the 4.9 give little if no warning when the self destruct. Start the car and look at the water pump pulley, if its not wobbling, its probably ok.

Watch your temp the next time you start you car cold, your temps should get to about 215 and then drop to 170 when the stat opens and then go up to 195-205... Mike

Pre-1995 - DTC codes OBD1  >>

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

Thanks for the info!! I'll keep an eye on it and let you know what I find.

If you really want to make people safe drivers again then simply remove all the safety features from cars. No more seat belts, ABS brakes, traction control, air bags or stability control. No more anything. You'll see how quickly people will slow down and once again learn to drive like "normal" humans.

Archived