CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

98 Eldo 63,000 Miles - Moonroof & A/C

flatback2

Happy New Year to all! You have a great forum & I should visit more often.

My moonroof motor will not shut down when in the closed position automatically. I have to lift my finger to stop the roof when it looks closed (then I get out and check). It does this in both the full open mode or when the back side is up.

Dead of winter, information panel flashes "Low A/C Refreg A/C Off" and message on heater says A/C Off. Ok I need an A/C charge (and check for leaks). If I drive it will it hurt the car ? I really don't need AC right away. Would it be normal to need an A/C charge on a 98 with 63,000 ? I did notice it got weaker at the end of the summer.

Thanks for any reply

Your car probably needs some refrigerant added to the system. This is not uncommon for a car that's pushing 8 years old. Look over the lines and see if you see any greasy areas - that would indicate a leak. If the compressor clutch is all oily/greasy, the shaft seal is probably leaking. A shaft seal can be replaced with the compressor on the car in most cases. The problem is finding an A/C mechanic that is not a parts changing monkey....

If the body/case of the compressor is all oily and greasy, the case seals are leaking and it is best to replace the compressor.

If it were my car, I would add a can of R-134a and keep an eye on it. Use regular R-134a - not anything with sealers, o-ring conditioners or other snake oil in it.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

Happy New Year to all! You have a great forum & I should visit more often.

My moonroof motor will not shut down when in the closed position automatically. I have to lift my finger to stop the roof when it looks closed (then I get out and check). It does this in both the full open mode or when the back side is up.

Thanks for any reply

Some info here that might help:

http://caddyinfo.ipbhost.com/index.php?sho...ic=6220&hl=roof

EDIT: I can't find the post, but I seem to recall someone here posting that he paid about $150 at a sunroof servicer for this repair.

Regards,

Warren

Posted Image

There is no means of avoiding the final collapse of a boom brought about by credit expansion. The alternative is only whether the crisis should come sooner as the result of a voluntary abandonment of further credit expansion, or later as a final and total catastrophe of the currency system involved. - Ludwig von Mises

Re: Your moonroof problem.

It sounds like the timing of your operating mechanism is off. This is not a difficult repair to make. The info scanned into the post above should be helpful. The problem is, the timing is hard to figure out without the Factory Service Manual. I had the same issue, took mine apart, couldn't figure out the timing, put it back together and marked the track so I can see when it is in the proper closed position. I later aquired the manual and found it contains a step-by-step method for setting the moonroof timing. If I ever have mine apart again, I'll be able to set it up correctly.

photo-36.jpg

Happiness is owning a Cadillac with no codes.

Archived