CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

92 seville STS in shop

wcperki

My wifes alltime favorite car ever has intermintant starting problem. When I get it to my mechanic the car will not duplicate the problem, so on to the Caddilac dealer that says caddy needs a starter. I asked them to check the grounding ect. The mechanic says he had some ont turn the key while he was measuring votlage at the starter and voltage ok. I agreed to replace the starter and asked for the old part back. Now I get a call back. The mechanic found a broken bolt on the maniflod, says this needs loosened to install starter, but that it is quite common for these manifolds to crack during the starter replacement. Should I be alarmed?

Thx

Warren

My wifes alltime favorite car ever has intermintant starting problem. When I get it to my mechanic the car will not duplicate the problem, so on to the Caddilac dealer that says caddy needs a starter. I asked them to check the grounding ect. The mechanic says he had some ont turn the key while he was measuring votlage at the starter and voltage ok. I agreed to replace the starter and asked for the old part back. Now I get a call back. The mechanic found a broken bolt on the maniflod, says this needs loosened to install starter, but that it is quite common for these manifolds to crack during the starter replacement. Should I be alarmed?

Thx

Warren

The starters on these cars may be removed without touching the exhaust manifold. One needs just unbolt the starter, push the "nose" up and pull its "bottom" down. That's it! The factory service manual does recommend removing the exhaust manifold though. Who damaged the bolt? Probably they want to have the exhaust manifold replaced to charge you more.I would get the car back and hand it to a mechanic you trust.

The saddest thing in life is wasted talent

Hi

You need a new mechanic. I had my old 91 apart to put new brushes in it. At 90K miles it was like new. Gm startmotors are very solid compared to Ford.I also replaced my exhaust manifold on my 94 with the 4.9 engine.I cannot see any connection between the startmotor and any manifold. This sound just like a Midas shop to me.Good luck and let us know how you made out.

Runar

Thx

Warren

Could you please provide us with more details? What exactly happens when you start the car? Cables, contacts, battery terminals are a common cause of starting problems. BTW, if the starter really needs to be replaced a remanufactured ACDelco starter is $120 plus core at Advance Autoparts. I am afraid the stealership will charge you much more.

The saddest thing in life is wasted talent

TELL that 'mechanic' to leave the manifold alone, the 4.9 manifolds ARE prone to cracking!!! I personally have been involved with having 3 manifolds sent to members here, one in Amsterdam! Keep his hands off them. I DO NOT believe that it is necessary to remove the manifold to get the starter out!

If he has removed the manifold he has to use new manifold gaskets and they must be torqued to spec. Did he break the bolt or did he 'find' a broken bolt..... seems very hard to believe that a bolt broke on its own.

Pre-1995 - DTC codes OBD1  >>

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

TELL that 'mechanic' to leave the manifold alone, the 4.9 manifolds ARE prone to cracking!!! I personally have been involved with having 3 manifolds sent to members here, one in Amsterdam! Keep his hands off them. I DO NOT believe that it is necessary to remove the manifold to get the starter out!

If he has removed the manifold he has to use new manifold gaskets and they must be torqued to spec. Did he break the bolt or did he 'find' a broken bolt..... seems very hard to believe that a bolt broke on its own.

Thanks All,

My wife has proclaimed the problem fixed and is happy. After talking with the dealer again, the

Mechanic found a broken bolt and a cracked left manifold. Said he was able to RR the bolt.

I have the old starter core which I plan to have tested. What president was it said Trust but Verify?

So now I will have to add this item to the "honey do" list along with

* heatercore flush ( no heat and slow to warm now that it is winter)

* inspect waterpump & belt tensioner

* figure out why the sulfer smell when accelerating up a hill also sometimes "sweet smell" too.

* replace the inside plastic paw on the shifter which keeps falling out

* replace bad Bose gold CD player

* maybe spring for updated wheels, front grill and LED rear panel lights last.

Is there anything else that is prone to go bad or that I should inspect and or replace as long as I am R/R the manifold or two?

Warren

Archived