CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

The Pilots are on.

Rickster

Got the Pilots today. Here's my feed back.

Looks - 8.5 outa 10 (if they wern't the A/S 10/10)

Quiteness - 8.5 outa 10 (still quitier than the Badyear RSA that came off)

Agressive handling - F**k me. 10 outa 10 (posted 40mph corners easily at 65-70mph)

Ride - 8.5 outa 10 (tires a little harder than some softes out there)

Wet weather - (rains comming tomorrow)

Snow - (maybe snow as well)

Price installed - $1225cdn/$870usd

Now a couple comments and questions.

When I picked up the car, I went for a quick juant before going back to the office. "Check Tire Pressure" up on DIC. They had 48psi in the tires. Too much? The ride was pretty rough. Could probibly hold on to your dick and jerk off it was so bumpy. Before I headed up the Squamish Highway, took them down to 40psi. Way better ride.

Now I know there was a fair bit of disscusion on tire pressure a while back, but being of advanced age, it's not too clear on the best pressure for the Pilot and the STS. These are the 235/55/ZR17. Suggestions welcome for the best milage/ride/wear.

Thanks in advance.

Rick

2001 STS Mettalic Otter Grey, Black Leather, 213,000 kilometers - miles - ? Still running strong!

Thanks Jim. But I wounder, would that low of pressure cause cupping of the tires?

Rick

2001 STS Mettalic Otter Grey, Black Leather, 213,000 kilometers - miles - ? Still running strong!

Hi Rick

I don't think so Like I said cold when you drive it they will heat up and go up a few psi. so say 32 cold will be somewhere around 35 36 psi it all depends on outside air temp and many variables. I always play around with tire pressures but on mine best overall is 30 to 32 psi cold I ran at that pressure with michelins and the coopers I have on now I'm sure a little more pressure better mileage but the harder ride too.Tire shops usually put way too much in the tires.

You will figure out what pressure you like the best just do some trial and error to you find what pressure suits your driving.

Good Luck

Jim

Hi Rick get a good pressure gauge that tire pressure monitoring sys is ok but on mine it's 2lbs. off from the tire gauge. If the gauge at the tire reads 32 the system reads 30 ..SInce you just had new tire check that they put the wheels in the same positions other wise it will read them from the last calibration. Mine was in the AFU mode when I would check it on the dic say the l/f was actually the r/r.I figured it out and the sys. had to be recalibrated not a biggie but it happens.

Cheers

Jim

Thank you for you insight Jim.

Rick

Hi Rick

What I have done on some cars is take some pics of the tire at diff. pressures and check how the sidewall looks if it looks overlapping too much add some air here is a pic i found on my harddrive from when i did that not that good but it gives you an idea. The pic is the cooper tires i have on mine now..

Cheers

Jim

picture.JPG

I installed the Pilots sport A/S on my car with only about 30-32 PSI in them and they started cupping. The discount tire guys suggested replacing them after 15,000 miles because he said they were so bad. Anyway I bumped the fronts to 38 and the rear to 34 and that seems to have helped, hope to get at least another 10,000 out of them.

30....38?....psi? WOW.

We run about 28psi....if you dont...you will feel every bump in the road. Maybe this is why all the Devilles seem to have vibration issues. Yeah at 38 psi.

Hi Logan

I hear ya. When I had this set of tires put on the jack *smurf* at the tire shop had 42 psi in them when I pulled out I thought what the f--- it sure made the car ride hard it was bam just going over the small joints on the pavement I have had good luck at 30 psi cold on the deville. no vibrations with a soft ride.Here in Michigan with the tempeture swings in the winter you can really notice the tire pressures when I air the tires say if it's zero outside then in a week or so it's 40f the car rides hard you sure notice that 4 or 5 psi.

Cheers

Jim

I've been running the Michelin Pilot XGT Z4 225/60-16 for three years now (55k miles+) on my 93' STS.

I keep them at 30 PSI, no sign of abnormal tire wear and they still grip like a tiger.

Higher pressure is not necessary and will defintely make the car ride very hard.

I have been using a digital readout air pressure gauge. Easy to read; reads out in 1/2 lb increments. I paid about $7 for it a Walmart.

-George

Drive'em like you own 'em. - ....................04 DTS............................

DTS_Signature.jpg

30....38?....psi? WOW.

We run about 28psi....if you dont...you will feel every bump in the road. Maybe this is why all the Devilles seem to have vibration issues. Yeah at 38 psi.

Is this with the Pilot Sport A/S tires or just tires in general?

Just mounted Pilot XGT 235/60/16 HR tires today. The shop said to run them between 35-36 psi. I said the door sticker shows 28. They said thats for the original Badyear (ZR) LS tires. I will get better handling and wear at 35...

So far so good....

The new Pilots have now eliminated the weird rubbing noises I used to have and the funny modulation during braking (although I suspect I still need to turn pmy rotors - partially warped).

These tires are very quite and seem to handle well in the rain. The sidewalls could look a little better, but I will post my findings after 1 month of use.

Also, I was worried about downgrading from ZR to HR. but I haven't noticed anything of note yet.

Tom R.

1998 Cadillac STS with 102K Miles

Hi Jim,

Ya, I have them at 35psi now. Much softer ride. Will probibly drop them a little more in a week or so and try that. Just gona play with the pressure for a while to find one that feels just right. Feed back after a few days? I am very pleased with the performance and ride. It also seems the tires have corrected that darting feeling on seams and bumps in the pavement. Still a small vibration at 65-70mph though but that's probibly not the tires. Still waiting for a test drive in a good rain and I am sure I wil be impressed. Also, with a WOT from a stop, the grip seems to be much better than with the Goodyears. Can still set off the traction control but it is much less severe. Overall, they seem to be a very good tire.

Rick

Archived