CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

STS Blower Control Module

petrov

My interior blower fan is continously on and I expect that I will have to replace the blower control module at $212CAN. I have already removed it (three screws) from the duct beside the blower close to the firewall. At this cost I thought that if I could swap it out with another 93 STS owner for verification. Would the faulty module create any issues (ie. cause damage) to a known working system or just exhibit the same symptoms I have in mine??

Thanks,

Petrov

I just had my blower control module go on my 92 Deville (4.9) at the cost of $83.00 from www.gmpartsdirect.com, I would just plug yours into someone elses without removing theirs and it should tell you if it is bad. I would not worry about it causing problems to the other guy's system. If it is bad it will do the same thing it did on yours, stay on until the battery runs down.

I'll bet bottom dollar that is what it is. Mine did the same thing, only the blower stayed on with the the key off and out of the ignition (Ihad to pull the blower fuse). I bought a new module at a dealership for $ 160, and it took 5 minutes to replace, and cured the problem. These things are known for burning up over time as they shunt the power over a resistor for lower blower speeds, which sends the resistive heat to a big aluminum heat sink attached to the module.

However, I think B. Bobinski once stated the module changed design in '95 or '96, you need to find a like year model car if you are going to test.

Its the blower control module. Common failure mode is 'blower on all the time.'

In '94...the seperate module went away. It is now part of the actual brushless blower motor... $300+

Archived