CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

trunk pulldown latch/motor

blubird

Hi - My trunk pulldown latch has been on the blink for a while, and then it finally died...it closes, but then doesn't pull down completely.

After reading through the archives about this problem, I decided to try to trouble shoot it myself. I thought if it was the fuse or the latch, maybe I could get it working myself. These seemed OK, so I started to look at the motor.

I pulled the whole thing apart, and I can't get it back together properly. (Please note that I am a female with limited car knowledge, tools, and $$$, but I like to try myself and get some experience before I just take in to the mechanic)

Specifically, I pulled the silver metal piece with the long crank part (motor?) out of the plastic piece with the gears, and when I tried to put it back in, there were 2 small metal cubes blocking it from going back in all the way. In order to get it back in, I "un-did" the 2 springs which were pushing the cubes in toward the center and blocking the crank from going back in. So now it is back together again, but the springs are not "set" or "loaded" (sorry not sure the terms to use). Needless to say it is still not working.

My question is whether or not it is possible for me to put this piece back together properly or if I broke it permanently.

I am taking it to the dealer on Wednesday to be fixed, but if possible I want to fix the part that I broke before I take it in, in case that isn't the problem.

Thank you for any help or advice, hopefully I explained clear enough to understand...

Charlene

My trunk motor also died on me. I too took it apart but realized there was a cracked piece inside. I replaced the motor for about $60.00

"Cadillac, it's not a car, it's an obsession"

-W.Kingdon

They sell used ones on eBay for pretty cheap. Next time try putting it back in by depressing the metal tabs and sliding it in that way, it can be done if you try it a couple of times. I think they are on eBay for about $20. I'm not sure about putting it back together.

Good luck

My trunk motor also died on me. I too took it apart but realized there was a cracked piece inside. I replaced the motor for about $60.00

Probably not worth the hassle of trying to put it back together. I replaced my trunk motor on my last Caddy for about $60 as well and it was a pretty easy install.

Brad

----------------------------

1999 Deville Concours [sOLD]

Blk/Blk w/gold package

The little cubes you are discribing are the brushes. It will go back together easily. It is much easier if you watched how it came apart. I have done it a while back but can't remember exactly how tell you to do it without seeing it. Basically as I recall you need 3 hands :D

You need to push the brushes back into the slots against the springs as you push the armature back in. It is a little tricky. The dealer probably won't fool with it. They just R&R. Nobody fixes anything anymore. It realy is very easy once you figure it out. It can be fixed.

Thanks everyone for the replies. I am checking around on ebay, and tomorrow I will again attempt to put it back together properly. For now, I covered it with a shower curtain weighted down with rocks, since I don't have a garage and it's supposed to rain tomorrow...just my luck.

Thanks again, Charlene

PS - You can see my Caddy on the thread with pictures of people's cars !!!

Check the plastic gear on the end of the motor. On mine I could hear the motor turning but it wouldn't hold the trunk down. I pulled it apart and replaced the gear-cost $3.59 plus tax. I'm sure the dealer would have charged one hour shop labor plus parts to fix. Looks like one of those mechanic's boat payment jobs.

Good luck getting the motor back together.

The springs holding the brushes (metal cubes) will pull back and clip on the plastic case (there is a notch for it) so you can slide your armature (shaft) back into place. Once it is in place release the springs. Now the tricky part, you then slide the metal cover over the armature making sure it does not pull the armature out of place as you slide it in. If the armature slides back out and releases the brushes then it will not work and you have to start all over again. Larry is right it does require 3 hands.

I got my motor working but it only wants to turn the latch up. When the lower switch (attached to the motor that the latch controls) is down the latch is raised by the motor until the latch trips it up thus stopping the motor, but I can not seem to get it to pull the latch down. I suspect the upper latch. Anyone else with this problem?

post-3-1078225176.jpg

If your motor will not work and you do not have the funds to fix it, just rotate the armature until the latch height lets the trunk close tight manually. This may take some trial and error until you get it just right, then put the cover back on the motor, unplug it and put electrical tape over the plug to keep it from blowing fuses, and your done. No need to buy a new motor unless you want the pull down feature.

Oh boy, you guys are great, thank you soooooo much for all this great help.

I took the whole thing off again, into the house to sit down and try to fix the brushes. I think I can do this if I take my time.

Meanwhile I e-mailed a guy on ebay who is selling a motor for $65 and claims it will work on 92 - 97 GM models.

Also, got these estimates over the phone from Herb Chambers:

labor - $164

switch - $25

motor - $380 :o

So I cancelled my service appoitment with them for now.

In the end, I guess I don't care about the pull-down feature so I will probably just try to do what Paul T said...so I might come back with some questions on how to do this if I can't figure it out.

I can't thank everyone enough...all this info really makes me feel empowered and free me from being at the mercy of the mechanics. At a minimum I gain some knowledge and experience.

Did anyones trunk motor break, because friend/family member slammed the trunk down? Happened to me several times on my STS.

"Cadillac, it's not a car, it's an obsession"

-W.Kingdon

The upper switch usually breaks after multiple slamming of the deck lid. It is easily replaced and relatively inexpensive ($14 at the dealer).

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

If your motor will not work and you do not have the funds to fix it, just rotate the armature until the latch height lets the trunk close tight manually. This may take some trial and error until you get it just right, then put the cover back on the motor, unplug it and put electrical tape over the plug to keep it from blowing fuses, and your done. No need to buy a new motor unless you want the pull down feature.

Paul T - Thank you for this info....I am trying what you said...here is where it stands....

I removed the black plastic switch and the motor.

I cranked the latch down with my finger so the trunk closes as tight as possible (I srewed on the silver metal cover to hold it down).

Questions:

Do I need to put the motor and switch back in ?? Seems like the latch might move if I don't, or will it be in the way ??

Then I just cover the wires and plug with electrical tape...there's like 4 wires all connected to cover and the place where they plug in, if I put the switch back in Right ??

Thanks again, I will be very happy if this works.

OK it took me all morning but I did it :D

I put the motor back together and fixed the brushes/springs (who comes up with this stuff??) and put it back in with the switch, adjusted the latch with the crank, got the metal cover back on (3 tries), and it closes pretty tight !!! I can't believe it. Hopefully it won't leak....gonna wash it now with the hose to test the seal.

Thanks Paul, great instructions !!!

Glad to help. I am having the same problem with my 92 Deville and I am just passing on info that I got from the old board. I have come to the conclusion that my upper switch is bad and I plan on replacing it soon. I am working on replacing the blower control module at the moment, after just replacing the fuel pressure regulator, after fixing a short in the air compressor wiring. I have had my Deville for 10 no problem years then BOOM one thing after another. Oh well keeps me talking on this board to a lot of nice people who go out of their way to help. Thanks goes to Bruce for giving us the opportunity to do this.

post-3-1078339878.jpg

Archived