CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Hey everyone, new here and a question....

Night Wolf

Hey everyone, I just registered here, although have been checking the site out for about a year.... alot of great info, adn I remember when the message boards were the old style... anyway, I am also on CadillacForums.com, I belong to a few online message boards.

My question is, I have a 1993 CDV.... it is a rare car in that it is Slate Bronze Metallic color, which was only out for 1993, and '93 was the last year for the CDV (119 of my cars were made)

I noticed that a few people here have done exhaust work.... this question is to people with the 4.9, I currently have a K&N drop in panel filter. Once I get the car back on the road (away for the winter, winter car= 1989 Oldsmobile 88, 3800 V6) Anyway I know the stock piping is 2.5" and in '92 the exhaust system was revied for better flow.... I want to get a (Flow Master?) muffler, and get a dual exhaust setup... side pipes actually, a single chrome tip behind each rear wheel.... should I replaced the pipding form the cat-back with 2.75 or 3" pipding or keep the pipding and just get the muffler... I mostly want the sound and looks of the dual exhaust (as the V8 is too quiet right now) but would also like a performance gain....

....What muffler would you guys recomend? I don't want something that is really loud or anything, but something that gives a nice burbble at idle and just a general nice pushrod V8 sound.... I was thinking Flow Master.... what series woudl be good? and what about pipding? are high-flow cats worth the money?

If you would like to take a look at my car, check it out here:

http://www.cardomain.com/id/night_wolf

I used an Edelbrock RPM series muffler on my 92 STS, and it had a nice deep sound. Based on my research it appears to provide the highest flow of similar mufflers. It was farily loud however.

The dynomax super turbo is apparently fairly quiet but provides good flow.

Bruce

2023 Cadillac CT4-V Blackwing

Follow me on: Twitter Instagram Youtube

Nice classic looking Caddy. My freind back in high school had a 63 CDV convertible. Big boat that held all the girls.

2001 STS Mettalic Otter Grey, Black Leather, 213,000 kilometers - miles - ? Still running strong!

I would second Bruce's recommendation for Edelbrock mufflers. I've had one before and they're very high quality and will easily out-flow a Flowmaster. In fact, I understand that Flowmaster mufflers are one of the worst flowing performance mufflers out there. They're probably still better than factory, but you can do better with other brands. I've had experience with Edelbrock, Dynomax Super Turbo, and Borla mufflers, and would recommend both the Edelbrock and Borla brands without hesitation. If the original mufflers on my '97 ever need replacing, I'll be putting on a pair of Edelbrocks probably.

Jason(2001 STS, White Diamond)

"When you turn your car on...does it return the favor?"

So exactly what muffler would you recomend for my '93 CDV with the 4.9? I ant something that sounds really nice, but not loud at crusing speed, but on WOT to sound aggressive..... do you think that I will get any performance gains with the aftermarket muffler, but stock cat and (2.5") piping?

Is the Edlebrck avaible at Jeggs or something similar? (website)

In my experience, the Edelbrock muffler isn't going to be the loudest, but it will flow very well. Same deal with the Dynomax Super Turbo. The Edelbock is a very high quality muffler that will last longer than your car will. Borla also makes a very high quality muffler, a bit more expensive than Edelbrock, and it'll sound a little louder still. Money no object, I'd recommend the Borla.

We had a Grand Cherokee with a pushrod V8 engine...similar in size to your 4.9L. We had a K&N Fuel Injection Performance Kit (FIPK), coupled with a cat-back Borla exhaust system. Together, that combination felt like it added 30 horsepower to the truck. You could REALLY feel the difference. And you couldn't hear it at idle...but it opened up with more throttle. Very nice sound to it.

hey, you might have already heard me talking about mine on cadillacforums.com, but i had dynomax super turbos on my 4-9 seville w/ no cat. they were too loud imo. also, a week ago (i've had them on for about 4 months) something inside the muffler came loose, and made everything rattle and resonate badly. I went to the exhaust shop and he slapped on a Magnaflow and a resonator where the cat used to be. the super turbos w/ no cat and the magnaflow w/ resonator sound identical, but the magnaflow w/ resonator is quieter, both outside and inside(because of resonator). don't get me wrong though... it's intimidating (sp?) at both idle and acceleration! very throaty, mellow sounds. I have 2.5 all the way through, and (seat of the pants tells me) I think that it gave it some more, much needed balls, higher in the rpms) , plus about 2 mpg better. the muffler is tucked nicely, and the pipes were bent up, then turned back down to just peek out behind the rear bumper. can't decide whether to put some chrome tips on them?? both have lifetime warranties.

Night Wolf, measure your current muffler and note these dimensions:

* overall length

* overall width

* inlet size and position (centered or offset)

* outlet size and position (centered or offset)

Then visit Edelbrock's site and try to find one with the closest dimensions to yours.

Any good muffler shop can mate a replacement muffler in place on your caddy regarless of the size of inlet, outlet, centering, or offsetting of the inlet and outlet. The inlet on your car is likely offset, and the outlet is centered and the diameters are 2". The case is probably about 19" long, but most all cheapo aftermarket mufflers will be significantly smaller, so there will be no problem for installation. I wouldn't recommend anything expensive, I would go with a summit racing supply generic baffled mufflers, available for about $15 apiece, or some dynomax turbos for about $35 apiece.

Its funny that I'm writing these recommendations, because in a few weeks, I'm going to be putting mufflers on both of my caddy's ('93, '97 sevilles). Hum, I wonder what I'm going to get? I'll bet you that I don't buy something over $65, I'm not a big fan of too many "popular" mufflers, in fact, I dislike Flowmasters a great deal, (I hope I never sink to that level and put some on one of my cars).

Get something that is cheap, not too loud, and don't worry a great deal about fitment, if you stay with the general parameters that I gave you, a good shop can do it for you, and for next to nothin!

--Flyer

'99 'Vert 'Vette 45k

'97 SLS 55k

Deceased: <'68 Mustang 200+k>, <'86 GMC S-10 180+k>, <'86 VW GTI 180+k>, <'86 Seville 195+k>, <'93 Seville 175+k>

user posted image

Archived