CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Warning when cleaning your engine

JLAWS

The spray on foam stuff works well, so well that if you spray some on the Northstar engine cover, it will actually break down the paint!!! Guys beware. I ruined my cover doing that. Id suggest using something alot less harsh like dish soap and water.

I ended up buying a new one for $60

Some years ago the work got around that oven cleaner made an "excellent" underhood cleaner and degreaser. Much less expensive that engine cleaner and worked much better. Trouble is, it will take the insulation off some of the wiring !!! Hard lesson to learn. Harsh cleaners are tough on some substances and need to be used carefully.... kind of like the stuff made to pour in to fuel systems to clean them.

Steam cleaning is probably the safest method to clean an engine but it should be limited JUST to the engine. Anything that's attached to the engine should be carefully covered and protected from the steam. Nothing should be added to the water.

If you really want to make people safe drivers again then simply remove all the safety features from cars. No more seat belts, ABS brakes, traction control, air bags or stability control. No more anything. You'll see how quickly people will slow down and once again learn to drive like "normal" humans.

Hello

Where did you buy your engine cover at??

Thanks Jae Thompson

1999 cadillac seville sts

Hi Jae, I work at auto parts store part time so that my price from the dealer. The reqular price is only about $78. You'd need to buy the black emblem which is about $10. You can get it for less at www.cadillac-parts-dealer.com, but then you have to deal with shipping so you end up paying dealer price.

Years ago I always used "Gunk" before I would touch a really greasy engine (not mine, they never got that dirty). Worked well. On my own cars I just use high pressure water. Maybe a little dish detergent if, but rarely needed.

Archived