CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

BATTERY NO CHARGE

jamesg

I went to work last night at 2000 and got off this morning at 0900. I started the 93 STS up and drove down the road and I saw the Volts at 11.7. Then the NO BATTERY CHARGE read out appeared on the display. So I turned off the AC and I may have kept the Radio on I don't remember after working 13 hours over night. Anyways I made it home without draining the battery. I got up several times during the day to check the start up and voltage it went up to 12.7 however the NO BATTERY CHARGE msg was still on the display after driving around the block several times. I had to get back up at 1400 and be back at work here at 1500, so I checked the battery cables for tightness, but could not get to the belts and see what type of tension they have. When I get off in the morning I will go to a small shop and get the ALTERNATOR tested accurately. Last night was the first time the car sit for 13 hours with no driving. That is a new die hard battery in the vehicle and I don't want to ruin it. I had to grab the olde MAZDA pick-up and drive it to work this afternoon. The car would start, but I didn't want to take a chance and the new batery drain and put me down side the road. The Alternator is only $257.00 at the local dealer. Well I stated if it was the alternator I would know in a few days.

I just replaced the alternator in my Deville from Autozone...It is a delco remy and it was only $144.00, after the core. I will always run with a rebuilt, I find them more reliable than a new one! When these are sent in for rebuild, they go over them with a fine comb, and replace everything inside(I know I did it as a teenager) and they make sure they are 110%, cause if it comes back too many times they will loose the contract.

It's worth looking into!

Big Jay

Life is too short to grow up!

I will always run with a rebuilt, I find them more reliable than a new one!

Ah, youth is wonderful! Too bad it's wasted on the young. :P:P:P

Regards,

Warren

Posted Image

There is no means of avoiding the final collapse of a boom brought about by credit expansion. The alternative is only whether the crisis should come sooner as the result of a voluntary abandonment of further credit expansion, or later as a final and total catastrophe of the currency system involved. - Ludwig von Mises

don't know if this helps but I ran mine down and had to jump it, it was charging well but the message didnt go away till it sat on a charger for a couple of hours. Never got the message again. go figure!

Joe

I just replaced the alternator in my Deville from Autozone...It is a delco remy and it was only $144.00, after the core. I will always run with a rebuilt, I find them more reliable than a new one! When these are sent in for rebuild, they go over them with a fine comb, and replace everything inside(I know I did it as a teenager) and they make sure they are 110%, cause if it comes back too many times they will loose the contract.

It's worth looking into!

Big Jay

I ONLY understand this if you know your source of rebuilder, if its a quality rebuild, I agree with your opinion. Hell you could rebuild it yourself and do a good job. The only sticking point are the slip rings that can wear clean through and wear unevenly and the front bearing that is difficult to replace with out special tools.

HOWEVER, if you do not know the source of your rebuilder or you are going to use a PepBoys rebuild, buy new!

Rebuilt alternators are ok as long as you get a good rebuilder. There is a shop near my house if you take them your bad one they will rebuild it while you wait on the plus side ther is bar across the street you can go have a couple beers to pass the time. I have rebuilt a few alternators but finding the rebuild kits is pretty hard most auto parts don't stock them.. Last one I rebuilt was on a 89 fleetwood that I owned I had to rebuild it at the time I could not find an alternator the dealer was out of stock and so was the suppliers and the aftermarket ones didn't fit the cradle that held the alternator the bolt pattern to hold the alt, didn't match up. It was late in the day and I went to the rebuild shop they were ready to close I would have had to wait until the following day but the guy sold me the parts to rebuild mine. I was up and running in a couple hours..Not like the old days of going to a good auto parts and picking up a rebuild kit..I still have special tools and instruments laying around my garage to rebuild alternators to check the armature and stuff like that.. They don't get much use but in a pinch they come in handy..one of these days I'll clean out my garage..

Cheers

Jim

Regards,

Warren

Warren.

I have been running rebuilds for 20 years without EVER having a problem.

I was once told by an OLD wise mechanic(before I worked in the shop) how MOST rebuilds are built to last.

I don't know about PEPBOYS but I know up here I have never run into a problem, and most are warranty for life....Autozone is 5 years.

Big Jay

Life is too short to grow up!

Regards,

Warren

Warren.

I have been running rebuilds for 20 years without EVER having a problem.

I was once told by an OLD wise mechanic(before I worked in the shop) how MOST rebuilds are built to last.

I don't know about PEPBOYS but I know up here I have never run into a problem, and most are warranty for life....Autozone is 5 years.

Big Jay

I think I understand Warren's comment. Correct me if I'm wrong Jay but are you saying that a rebuilt delco alternator is better than a brand new delco alternator? That's the way I read your statement but perhaps you didn't exactly mean it that way. I would find that a bit hard to believe. I could, however, accept that the quality could be close at best.

It would only make sense to buy a quality rebuild on a 10+ year old vehicle purely to save money. After all how much longer do you expect a 10+ year old car to last? Also keep in mind that the brand new originals got this far. I doubt that most rebuilds ever get tested on longevity like their original counterparts do. The rest of the car most likely farts out long before the rebuilt alternator does. Given that far more cars needing a new alternator are either trashed or sold rather than held onto, it would only be a minor loss to warranty rebuilds for "life" or even better for 5 years. It's just good business.

Now if I knew I was going to keep the caddy for another 5-10 years, meaning I had the financial resources and desire, then I would definitely purchase a brand new alternator. Because at this point their is very little book value on the car if any but the desire to keep the car running another 5-10 yrs sort of dictates that you install the best quality parts. Doesn't it?

"Burns" rubber

" I've never considered myself to be all that conservative, but it seems the more liberal some people get the more conservative I become. "

> but the desire to keep the car running another 5-10 yrs sort of dictates that you install the best quality parts. Doesn't it?<

Absolutely, in my book. I have a number of cars that are 10-50+ years old, and when the need arises they get OEM, new parts.....Maybe that's why they run and run and run with next to zero trouble? ;)

'93 STS.. opened, dropped, wide...fast.

user posted image

Archived