CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

level control

caddypete

My 2000 eldo, sits like a 70's hot rod and rides like a 50's truck. It seems somthing is wrong with my level control. the rear bumper sits about 2 1/2 ft off the ground, and from the top of the tire to fender probably 6 inches and it rides harsh. What is my problem and where do I start?When I start it i can hear the compressor come on, but my car never gets back to level. Is it a bad sensor? and where do I find it? Thanks in advance

It sounds like a misadjusted level sensor or a sensor that has popped off the mounting ball. Look at the rear suspension and there will be a sensor with a rod at each end snapped over a ball on each end fastening it to the suspension.

There may be a sensor at each corner of the suspension.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

Check all of your connections at the level controls, spray them with electrical connector spray. Make sure all the level adjustment rods are in place. On my 91, which also did the 70's thing, there was a 4 amp fuse for the exhaust mode, check to see if the fuse blew. Mine wacked out after I went through a deep puddle. Mike

I checked all the fuses, all good. I found the sensor with the connection to the sensor, there is only one that is on driver side rear. it is all connected. checked the electrical connections that I could find to the sensor. how do you adjust the sensor? And if it is out of adjustment how does that happen? that connector rod doesn't seem like it could move much and change adjustment.And how do you check the sensor to see if it operates correctly?

As a point of reference, the trim height specification for my '94 Eldo (I assume your 2000 is the same) is as follows: Measuring from the pavement to the highest point of the wheel cutout at the outside face of the fender, you should have 28.15" front and 27.91" rear. Measurement should be taken on a level surface with properly inflated tires, a full tank of gas, and no passengers or additional weight in the car.

Hope this info is useful.

photo-36.jpg

Happiness is owning a Cadillac with no codes.

I took one of the ends off the sensor and moved the arm on the sensor up while the car was running the compressor came on and stayed on until I moved the arm down, then I left it in the down position for a couple of minutes, but my car didn't lower any. Any clue what I should look for now?

I took one of the ends off the sensor and moved the arm on the sensor up while the car was running the compressor came on and stayed on until I moved the arm down, then I left it in the down position for a couple of minutes, but my car didn't lower any. Any clue what I should look for now?

The compressor exhaust valve is not functioning properly. That piece is a service part - you do not need to buy the entire compressor.

There is some fairly lengthy diagnosis procedures in the shop manual as well as specific procedures on installing the new head. Remove the hose at the compressor and the car should lower. That would isolate it to the exhaust solenoid.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

I took the hose off the compressor and it didn't do anything, there is another hose that goes to the bottom of the trunk, no idea what that is pulled that and nothing happened. So I pulled the lines off the shocks and the air escaped, started it back up, the compressor cycled, and my car is at normal height. drove it out of the garage and pulled it back to it's parking place and it was still sittting level. We will see what happens tomorrow when I drive it. Today it's the Harleys turn to take me around it's a nice day

I took the hose off the compressor and it didn't do anything, there is another hose that goes to the bottom of the trunk, no idea what that is pulled that and nothing happened. So I pulled the lines off the shocks and the air escaped, started it back up, the compressor cycled, and my car is at normal height. drove it out of the garage and pulled it back to it's parking place and it was still sittting level. We will see what happens tomorrow when I drive it. Today it's the Harleys turn to take me around it's a nice day

That is strange but glad you got it fixed.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

Archived