CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Homelink Garage Door Transmitter

Phillip

I have a 96 STS without the garage door transmitter. The slot is there in the overhead console and I would like to install a factory transmitter. Is the wiring complete in all cars? Can I just buy a controller off ebay and plug it into my car? Also, does this transmitter work with the old Stanley secure code system?

Thanks,

Phillip

The wiring is present in all of the cars - you can buy a used one off ebay and plug it in. There are four styles of transmitter:

1) The original transmitter that was introduced in approximately 1982 - it has a single button with a three position selector switch and a red LED in the center. This style transmitter requires a receiver to be wired into your existing garage door opener.

2) A cheapened version of #1 - no chrome and no LED.

3) Three button programmable with a red LED - this style copies the frequency from your existing door opener transmitter but may not work with rolling code openers.

4) Three button programmable model with an amber LED - this style is the same as #3 but is compatable with most rolling code openers. I would recommend this version.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

I have a 96 SLS , and i have the red light overhead door transmitter. KHE , is right if you have a fixed code , you will need the red light unit, amber if it is a rolling code . YOU need to know what your unit is first before you buy. I know the red will not work on a rolling code unit. , but i am not sure if a amber unit will work on a fixed code . I do not believe it will, i would but the proper unit for it to match up with your garage opener. GOOD LUCK.

I have a 96 SLS , and i have the red light overhead door transmitter. KHE , is right if you have a fixed code , you will need the red light unit, amber if it is a rolling code . YOU need to know what your unit is first before you buy. I know the red will not work on a rolling code unit. , but i am not sure if a amber unit will work on a fixed code . I do not believe it will, i would but the proper unit for it to match up with your garage opener. GOOD LUCK.

The transmitter with the amber LED will work with all garage doors - rolling or fixed codes. I have an amber one in my '96 SLS and the original style (#1) in my Fleetwood.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

Archived