CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

hey scotty

i think u posted the location pics of all the ground points in your car should be same as mine would u please post again

welcome back i hope u had a good time

thanks scotty i guess what im trying to do is find an easy way to follow bob&sue advice and run a ground from the engine to the frame or find the wire that does this and clean the heck out of it

There is no similar ground distribution diagram in the 96 manual. There are about 8 pages of ground diagrams. I scanned the diagram that has the PCM and engine controls in it and posted it. If you tell me what circuit you are having the problem with I will scan additional diagrams.

post-3-1120489470_thumb.jpg

i guess in trying to figure out an easy way to hook a ground wire frm engine to frame my new alternator works properly with accessories off but with all accessuries on and the engine warmed up i only show 12volts at idle someone said that when the battery is fully charged the regulator shuts off the ground maybe im worried about nothing bob n sue added aground and they said it really helped so i figure id try it cant hurt

i guess in trying to figure out an easy way to hook a ground wire frm engine to frame my new alternator works properly with accessories off but with all accessuries on and the engine warmed up i only show 12volts at idle someone said that when the battery is fully charged the regulator shuts off the ground maybe im worried about nothing bob n sue added aground and they said it really helped so i figure id try it cant hurt

Mine drops low at idle also with the accessories on, what does it put out at 1000 RPM?

You have a NS and bob n sue have a 91 4.9 am I right? That is about as apples and oranges as you can get... Matt's 4.9 also benefitted from a ground, but it was because his was missing altogether.

think i found ground problem went to store car would not start heard click then nothing checked battery cables when i put in new alternator i didnt tighten up the neg cable tight enough tightened up cable it made a big diff end of problem :unsure:

this is a small story that i thought u might like the new york times puts mailers in their newstands

they put in the wrong 800# it happened to be one of my 800#s i started getting 300 calls a day from people who wanted the nytimes making a long story short

i gave them my 800# so now their advertising is ok i dont know how many inserts they printed but i know it was in the millions as a reward they offered me some prints off their web sitewww.nytstore.com i asked for acollection of baseball prints and the one of secratariat framed of course im really beginning to like u new yorkers

think i found ground problem went to store car would not start heard click then nothing checked battery cables when i put in new alternator i didnt tighten up the neg cable tight enough tightened up cable it made a big diff end of problem :unsure:

Terrific Johnny glad you figured it out...

I actually got clicking the other day also.... My battery went bad, it had been leaking since I got the car and I needed to clean the positive cable every three months where it was leaking from. While a few here suggested last year that my battery might be leaking I didnt really see it until I pulled the battery out and saw the 2" streak of green acid that sedimented on the lower lip of the battery. I am thinking that I need to replace my positive cable because of this acid leak as it probably wicked up the cable. I can see that the cable is corroded where the lug attached to the copper. If I am not mistaken this corrosion would be impossible to stop and the resistance will continue to increase as a result. I believe this increased resistance will eventually cause my starter to fail due to increased current draw within the starter (any electrical experts out there feel free to opine on that thought). Its always something, I am hoping that ONCE I replace EVERYTHING :blink: , I will get a few years of NO REPAIRS..... Its lucky I love this car! :lol:

jack up radiator cap drive new car under cap then replace cap two yrs trouble free we hope :P

this is a small story that i thought u might like the new york times puts mailers in their newstands

they put in the wrong 800# it happened to be one of my 800#s i started getting 300 calls a day from people who wanted the nytimes making a long story short

i gave them my 800# so now their advertising is ok i dont know how many inserts they printed but i know it was in the millions as a reward they offered me some prints off their web sitewww.nytstore.com i asked for acollection of baseball prints and the one of secratariat framed of course im really beginning to like u new yorkers

You got lucky! New Yorkers are not typically so nice (other than me of course!) :lol:

. . . I believe this increased resistance will eventually cause my starter to fail due to increased current draw within the starter

Quite the opposite, increased resistance will reduce the amount of current available to the starter motor. No worries there . . . .

Regards,

Warren

Posted Image

There is no means of avoiding the final collapse of a boom brought about by credit expansion. The alternative is only whether the crisis should come sooner as the result of a voluntary abandonment of further credit expansion, or later as a final and total catastrophe of the currency system involved. - Ludwig von Mises

Mike:

This is probably not the place to do it, but it's time for you to wrap your mind around some basic electrical relationships!

The first one is current = voltage divided by resistance (I=E/R). You can develop two more relationships from that one.

It's possible to have fun with this stuff.

Jim

Drive your car.

Use your cell phone.

CHOOSE ONE !

Mike:

This is probably not the place to do it, but it's time for you to wrap your mind around some basic electrical relationships!

The first one is current = voltage divided by resistance (I=E/R). You can develop two more relationships from that one.

It's possible to have fun with this stuff.

Jim how can I get up on this stuff? Is there an illustational project or kit that can build that will show me the relationships?

Are there courses that I can take?

Thanks, Mike

Mike:

I'll bet there is a Community or Junior College in your area that offers courses that should include lab time to build and demonstrate. Stop in at the Registrar's office and pick up a course catalog.

You will be looking for course offerings that deal with basic electricity and is listed as a requirement for the basic electronics courses.

I would avoid classes that are specifically intended for automobiles, or home, or appliance repair. With a good foundational understanding of electrical principals, you will be able to "reason out" a lot of specific applications.

Jim

Drive your car.

Use your cell phone.

CHOOSE ONE !

Mike,

You just forgot some basics from high school. Pick up some textbooks and refresh your memory. That's all I believe you need.

If you are interested in more sophisticated suff I would highly recommend the book written by Paul Horowitz and Winfield Hill "The Art of Electronics". I like the book despite hate the electronics. ;)

The saddest thing in life is wasted talent

You know its funny, I have two or three text books on Basic Electronics written by my cousin when he worked at Texas Instruments, I read them 20 yrears ago but didn't understand them. Maybe I will try reading them again. They are excellent sources and I have overlooked them. Thanks.

Its not that I am a total idiot with electronics, I have done some complex things over the years that I don't think are average, such as

Rebuilt an ABIT motherboard by replacing 12 capacitors

Built a Hafler amp and pre-amp

Built a Dynaco tube amp

Fixed washers, dryers, vacuums, etc

Wired my house for electric, sound, audio, network, alarm, phone and fiber optics.

Have built over 500 computers

Its amps, impedance and capacitance that eludes me and their relationships. I will report more on the books when I find them...

Archived