CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

P1604, Loss of IPC serial data

MillDoGG

My friend, you know him as speedy. Just got his 98 sts returned to him from the shop. His N* was replaced from the same model and year. The car is running perfect, although the OBD-II code is given. The code P-1604 from what i researched is, "The loss of IPC (Inst Panel Cluster) serial data." His gauge cluster will not work ethier nor, his AC panel. he can control the AC, just no display. What could cause the gauge's to lose Power? They have checked fuses, and grounds, with no avail. Any Ideas

What's up guys. Thanks to MillDoGG for posting this for me. I was on the other end of my Nextel Two-way seeing if he could figure this out for me. Anyway..I have the car back. It's runs perfect. I feel like I have a brand new car. But this code is still being thrown. P1604, like he said. Me and the mechanic checked every fuse and ground. Are the only fuse panels in this car the one under the hood and the one under the back seat?? He scanned it with a scan tool, and it said something about an Electronic Brake Traction Control Module. I guess this was the reason for the problem?? I dunno how that's related. Any help would be appreciated. I'd like to know what temp the engine is. And how much gas I have!! I can't even read the DIC!!!

IPB Image

The EBTCM is your ABS/Traction Control module, and should not affect the guage cluster in any way. When you say the gauges don't work, do they not light up, or do the gauges themselve not move? If it doesn't light up, it's probably a power issue of some sort. If the gauges themselves aren't working either, that may be a faulty output from the PCM. Does the Message display function, or does that not work either? Also, were they working before you had the engine replaced, and if so, did they fail after the installation of the new one? If they failed after the new engine was installed, then something must have gotten screwed up, eithe in one or more wiring harness' in the engine compartment, or under the dash board. There really wouldn't be a need to mess with any wiring int he cabin, or wiring running into the intrument cluster, when replacing an engine anyway. On a side note, if you have a problem with your EBTCM, your ABS and traction Control systems may not work. I would check that module out and make sure it's working. They are quite expensive to replace. Go back, and make sure every single wiring harness and connector is properly hooked up. I would also suggest investing in a Factory Service Manual as well. Good Luck.

edit: I just took a look in my service manual, and from what they describe, this code is set when the PCM does not detect any serial data from the Intrument Control Panel, or detects invalid data for more than 11 seconds. I would check once again, and make sure that the gauge cluster is properly hooked up to the PCM. If the connector is loose or corroded or something, it could be causing your problem.

Hey, thanks for the reply. I'm definately going to get myself some manuals. The panel doesn't work at all. No gauge movement. Or lights. DIC or anything. The only this that comes on is the SES light. And, only during starting. As, it normally would for the lamp test. Then it's totally black. This was definately after the new engine was put in. I know for a fact that everything was working. the mechanic that swapped the motors said it was a really tight fit. He swaps Northstars regularly and he said this was probably the most difficult. Also, where is the PCM located on the '98 Sevilles. If I remember right it would be under the Airbox??? Thanks again for the help.

IPB Image

DTC P1604 Loss of IPC Serial Data

Circuit Description

This diagnostic test checks for the loss of or invalid Instrument Panel Cluster (IPC) serial data to the PCM. When such a condition exists for 11 seconds, DTC P1604 is set.

Conditions for Running the DTC

DTC P0322 not set.

Engine speed 500 RPM or more for 10 seconds continuously.

Conditions for Setting the DTC

Invalid or no serial data from the IPC to the PCM for 11 seconds.

Action Taken When the DTC Sets

The Malfunction Indicator Lamp (MIL) will not illuminate.

No message will be displayed.

Conditions for Clearing the DTC

A History DTC will clear after forty consecutive warm-up cycles with no failures of any non-emission related diagnostic test.

A Last Test Failed (current) DTC will clear when the diagnostic runs and does not fail.

Use a scan tool to clear DTCs.

Interrupting PCM battery voltage may or may not clear DTCs. This practice is not recommended. Refer to Clearing Diagnostic Trouble Codes in PCM Description and Operation.

There is a plastic panel just below the passenger footwell, underneath the glove box. There shoudl be two or three small screws (can't remember how many at the moment), that when removed, will allow you to drop the entire panel. Directly underneath the dash, attached to the firewall, is the PCM. It's pretty easy to get to and remove, but not very easy to reattach.When you get under there, grab a small flashlight, and check all your connections. I have a feeling that the DIC is controlled byt the Body Control Module and not the PCM, although the PCM is what provides most fo the inputs for the gauges, lamps, message center,..ect. Just check and make sure everything is connected proberly.

There is a plastic panel just below the passenger footwell, underneath the glove box. There shoudl be two or three small screws (can't remember how many at the moment), that when removed, will allow you to drop the entire panel. Directly underneath the dash, attached to the firewall, is the PCM. It's pretty easy to get to and remove, but not very easy to reattach.When you get under there, grab a small flashlight, and check all your connections. I have a feeling that the DIC is controlled byt the Body Control Module and not the PCM, although the PCM is what provides most fo the inputs for the gauges, lamps, message center,..ect. Just check and make sure everything is connected proberly.

Thanks :) I'll check it out and see what I find. I hope I'll be able to fix this. It sucks not knowing my water temp or fuel left. And, I'd really like to see my Odometer.

IPB Image

speedyman_2

Did the mechanic change the PCM along with the engine? The fact that the engine runs & there are no gage movement, etc. makes me suspect that there is something disconnected somewhere. The PCM has to be communicating to the engine, or it wouldn't run.

There is a simple fix to this problem. All you need to do is find it. Ask the mechanic to go over EVERY plug and harness that was disturbed and see if there is something not hooked up properly.

Just a thought, did they try to jump start the car & got the leads reversed, even for a split second? :(

Britt

Britt

speedyman_2

Did the mechanic change the PCM along with the engine? The fact that the engine runs & there are no gage movement, etc. makes me suspect that there is something disconnected somewhere. The PCM has to be communicating to the engine, or it wouldn't run.

There is a simple fix to this problem. All you need to do is find it. Ask the mechanic to go over EVERY plug and harness that was disturbed and see if there is something not hooked up properly.

Just a thought, did they try to jump start the car & got the leads reversed, even for a split second? :(

Britt

This I'm not sure of. But, I told him the day I brought it in that it was dead. And needed to be charged. Not jumped. Charged. I dunno if he did that. I'll have to ask. Everything runs fine. It's wonderful. Like a brand new car. This is the only code that's being thrown. Everything else if fine. So, I'm really thinking this is a connection issue.

IPB Image

• 5 years later...

I also have this problem... My whole guage cluster will not work at all. nothing in my dash turns on. also, my car will not start. i went to get gas one day and when i tried to start it when finished, my anti theft message came on and read retry in 3 minutes. before the 3 minutes were up, my dash totally shut off and the car hasnt started since. I have no idea what the deal is but would like to figure it out. any info would be lots of help, Thanks...

Archived