CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Dashboard Sunwarped?

WarrenJ

Recently here, someone mentioned about having a part of the dashboard warped due to sun exposure. I think it was the defroster vents, though I wouldn't bet YOUR lunch money on that. :D

It made me want to go out and buy a sunscreen ubertime fast! Of course, I just couldn't stand to have one of those "Reynolds Aluminum" accordian-like cardboard things on my dashboard!

I found this shade at my local auto parts store. There were $5.99, $7.99, and then this ten dollar thing that I purchased.

It just looks so much more "Cadillac" than the others.

https://www.auto-expressions.net

Regards,

Warren

EDIT: Its aluminized on one side and black on the obverse. It is boardered by a metallic rim and cleverly twists/folds to an 11" circle with an elastic strap. That likely explains why the carwash guys put it in the garbage!

Posted Image

There is no means of avoiding the final collapse of a boom brought about by credit expansion. The alternative is only whether the crisis should come sooner as the result of a voluntary abandonment of further credit expansion, or later as a final and total catastrophe of the currency system involved. - Ludwig von Mises

Hi Warren those sun shades are a good idea. I just don't want to take the time to use ine although I should my cars sit outside all the time I just had to replace the top of the dash on the dts It was starting to curl up on the left corner on the top of the dash not sure what caused it to do that but it's fixed now you could not notice it from inside the car but you could if you were outside looking down at the vin area..All I'm going to do with the new top is add some uv sun protectant to it but I hate that stuff it adds a low gloss to the top of the dash I may look around and see if there is a product that does not add the gloss to the dash top I have been using Mcguires UV stuff but it adds a low gloss which is not bad but the dull dash top sure looks better.

Cheers

Jim

I've been using the "Sun Screens" in all the cars. My defroster grill isn't warped but ever since the dealer removed it to change a sensor, it needs to be pushed down from time to time. The dash vinyl seems to have expanded and now the tangs on the defroster grill no longer grab the dash pad. I'll cut some thin strips of 3M double sided trim tape and try that.

rek

Hi rek

I think that's what caused my dash top to have a problem The dash top was R/R a couple times Once for a cluster replacement another time for sensor So the clips probably get weak and the heat while sitting in the sun warps the dash top .

My weekend job will be putting some uv stuff on the dash top..

Cheers

Jim

I've been using the "Sun Screens" in all the cars. My defroster grill isn't warped but ever since the dealer removed it to change a sensor, it needs to be pushed down from time to time. The dash vinyl seems to have expanded and now the tangs on the defroster grill no longer grab the dash pad. I'll cut some thin strips of 3M double sided trim tape and try that.

Mine does that too. My upper dash pad is visibly warped just on this side of where the defroster vent is supposed to "clip" in. I can push it down, but it'll pop out within a day. This car has always been garaged, and sun-shaded when in the sun, so I don't think that really makes much of a difference. If they're going to warp, they'll warp.

The DARK dash on my '95 Nissan truck was still perfectly flat when I sold it to my brother (and still is). I don't know if it ever had a sunshade used by previous owners, but its treatment couldn't have been any better than what we've shown the Cadillac. Hard to justify the Cadillac's LIGHT-colored dash pad warping when a two year older DARK-colored dash pad on a $20k Nissan truck still looks perfect.

Jason(2001 STS, White Diamond)

"When you turn your car on...does it return the favor?"

just use some 303 Aerospace protectant . . . . .

More info please. What is it? Where do we get it?

Regards,

Warren :blink:

Posted Image

There is no means of avoiding the final collapse of a boom brought about by credit expansion. The alternative is only whether the crisis should come sooner as the result of a voluntary abandonment of further credit expansion, or later as a final and total catastrophe of the currency system involved. - Ludwig von Mises

http://properautocare.com/303-16.html

"Think of this as an SPF 40

sunscreen for your dash,

tonneau cover and car bra!"

Great description!! :D:D

Regards,

Warren

Posted Image

Hi Warren

I purchased the 303 Aerospace protectant small bottle 8 oz. for $6.99 at a local discount auto parts I did the dash and all the door panels and kick panels This stuff goes a long way I have almost a full botle left. It appears to be nice stuff I applied it with a lint free rag then wiped off as much as i could with a terry towel Looks good it has some gloss but not much It's a little better than the lexol Vinylex that I was using Now I'll have to wait and see how it holds up..

Cheers

Jim

Hi Warren

I purchased the 303 Aerospace protectant small bottle 8 oz. for $6.99 at a local discount auto parts I did the dash and all the door panels and kick panels This stuff goes a long way I have almost a full botle left. It appears to be nice stuff I applied it with a lint free rag then wiped off as much as i could with a terry towel Looks good it has some gloss but not much It's a little better than the lexol Vinylex that I was using Now I'll have to wait and see how it holds up..

Cheers

Jim

JIMDTS, Caddyman,

Sounds like an interesting product. It wasn't on the shelf at my local auto parts store today. I'll keep lookin' for it.

Regards,

Warren

Posted Image

Hi Warren

Nice looking eldo. you have

Inside the car temp was 107f when I got in it this afternoon I noticed the the aerspace 303 has an odor to it not bad it's an interesting smell almost like a new car smell interesting stuff

Cheers

Jim

Archived