CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Shift Solenoids

barberben

Perhaps you need to wait and watch. Sooner or later some codes will show up and make it easier to diagnose the problem.

The saddest thing in life is wasted talent

barberben,

My 94 manual for the 4T60E transaxle says that you can check the resistance for the solenoids as follows:

Disconnect the wiring harness at the transaxle, Using a good quality volt/ohm meter check the resistance at the transaxle connector.

Cavities A-E ("A" shift solenoid) 20 to 50 ohms resistance

Cavities B-E ("B" shift solenoid) 20 to 50 ohms resistance

Cavities C-E [NOT 4CMW] (TCC PWM solenoid) 10 to 15 ohms resistance

Cavities D-E [NOT 4CMW] (TCC APPLY solenoid) 20 to 50 ohms resistance

Cavities C-D [4CMW] (TCC APPLY solenoid) 20 to 50 ohms resistance

Cavities F-G (Temp. Sensor (some models)) resistance varies with temperature

Cavity Description:

Cavity A = Ground (PCM) - "A" Shift Solenoid

Cavity B = Ground (PCM) - "B" Shift Solenoid

Cavity C [NOT 4CMW] = Ground (PCM) - TCC PWM Solenoid

Cavity C [4CMW] BATTERY (FROM BRAKE SWITCH) - TCC APPLY Solenoid

Cavity D = Ground (PCM) - TCC APPLY Solenoid

Cavity E = BATTERY (IGNITION ON) - ALL SOLENOIDS [4CMW - "A" & "B" ONLY ]Cavity F = 5 VOLTS (IGNITION ON) - TEMPERATURE SENSOR (SOME MODELS)

Cavity G = SIGNAL - TEMPERATURE SENSOR (SOME MODELS)

Remember, the above is out of a 1994 manual. Your vehicle may or may not be the same. The word "cavity" refers to the individual connection points inside the connector.

Additionally, I don't believe that the solenoids in the 4T60-E are as prone to failure as the ones in the 4T80-E transaxles are. The main reason that the solenoids in the 4T80-E transaxels failed was due to the fact that they were used to secure a screen assembly in the channel plate. The new solenoid kit supplies a bracket to perform the function of holding the screen assembly in place.

I may be mistaken, but I believe that the shift solenoids in the 4T60-E are under the transaxle side cover, not in the lower pan as in the 4T80-E. So replacing them would be a serious undertaking.

Good Luck,

Britt

Britt

Does anyone have any info on 4t60E solenoids?

navion provided you with lots of info... did you go through the procedure to determine the condition of your solenoids?

The saddest thing in life is wasted talent

Archived