CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Well 499.9 miles and ready to change the oil

JIMDTS

I went to walmart today and they had Havoline 5w30 for $6.44 for a 5 gt. jug $1.28 per qt. Cheapest oil i purchased in awhile I may change it in the morning but I may just wait until Monday It's father's day so I have to spend some time with the family I almost was thinking of trying mobil 1 at $19.99 for a 5 guart jug. not bad at 4 bucks a quart but I change the oil often so just can't bring myself to pop for mobil 1 I hate to do oil changes The hard part is getting rid of the old oil other than that it is easy. My only gripe is getting rid of the old oil. Usually I just drop in at the dealer and have them change it just so I don't have the hassle of getting rid of the old oil but on this one I want to check the oil and filter element after the tear down after this one I continue to let the dealer do it.. I also picked up a tube of bars leak gold so I have a very small job I will spend more time cleaning up the mess than the actual work involved..A few times after changing the oil in other cars I put the old oil in a container and then put it in the trunk to drop off at a recycleing center Well I forgot about the oil in the trunk when I remembered the oil it was all over the trunk leaked into the spare tire well what a mess to clean up I had to pull the drain plug in the trunk and flush it out and waste a couple hours cleaning up a big mess..

Cheers

Jim

Same thing happened to my Lincoln Mark VII. I had an oil container that leaked all over the trunk. The cheap container made for oil with flimsy caps that can’t be tightened too much. I tried to clean the trunk liner with laundry detergent, scrub brush and hose but was never able to get it completely clean as the oil soaked into the backing. What a mess!

I drain the oil from the vehicles into one of those large "sealed" catch pans, but like you guys, I don't really trust how sealed they really are. When I take it to the recycling center, I pour it into a large empty kitty litter jug. If you have a kitty and buy litter by the jug, don't throw those out. They make great used oil transporters.

Jason(2001 STS, White Diamond)

"When you turn your car on...does it return the favor?"

I use a 6 gallon gas can. Saves me the trouble of making a run every time I change oil. Never leaks. When it is full I take it to Autozone. They accept used oil.

Well the oil is a done deal I had a spare half hr. So I changed the oil and filter. Shame to change it at 525miles But I wanted to check the filter. I cut the old one open and there was some metal not much very slight in one of the valley's of the filter element it appeared to be aluminum shavings. Not much but it was in the filter the oil was real clean. So now I'm satisfied.. Man this car sucks to change the oil You have to jack it up the dts is too low to slide the drain pan under Real easy to get at the drain plug and filter Plus the drain pan I purchased is a 9.5qt. which is BS the F'ing oil was 1/4 in. from the top of the drain pan and it's open pan so when I slid it out very careful too from under the car oil everywhere Well the dealer can do the oil from now on.. I feel like tying a brick to the drain pan and return it back to the auto parts through the window. darn made in china stuff.. I knew I should have gone with the 15 qt. pan darn I only had 7.5 qts to drain into a 9.5 pan 9.5 must be at the brim overflowing the pan..

Cheers

Jim

Good tip on the soap bottles Scotty but I will just stick to changing the oil in my lawn mower from now on.Oh I retured the old oil no spills I used the 5 qt. havoline jugs I kept 2 extra qts. in a bottle i have and just sh-- canned the extra half qt..No more home oil deals for me

Archived