CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

"Service Ride Control" Message

Matt

This is someting that has been going on since I got the car. Today I received the manuals I bought from Sprucegoose, they are great. Thanks David. I began this trouble shoot by looking up the code in my small white booklet that has only the codes in it. The code I039 says" Speed Sensitive Suspension Signal Line problem". Next I went to the big service manuals,section 3G1- Speed Sensitive Suspension. In that section the only thing that sets code I039 is "UART". Now it may be to soon to figure this out, I only got the manuals this PM, But what the heck is UART? I saw a blurb that says,"See UART Data Line Cell 8A-50". So I went to section 8A-50. Yikes!! After going over all of this for a few hours I decided to stop and not push to hard. I still do not get the Data Line Problem. If any one has any experience with this maybe you can shed some light on it for me. I know these things take time, I will keep going over the manual. Sometimes after a wile things just start to click. I will tell ya these manuals are wonderfull. Even though I'm lost right now I am very happy with the help they have provided so far.(Pretty good A Scotty/Mike?) ...

The term UART has been used with serial communications in computers. UART means Universal Asynchronous Receiver-Transmitter, this component handles serial communications. Check all of your connections for corrosion. I have used electrical contact cleaner on all of the plugs under the car that are open to the elements since I drove through 2 feet of water with my 91 and got a suspension code...

I am glad you like the manuals, I read them all the time. I have been thinking about taking an electronics course. I need to understand more about electrical troubleshooting and diagnostics..

How is the car running? You just disappeared! :lol: You are so funny, we hear from you 25 times a day for 2 weeks, I speak to you multiple times, you fix it, and BAM you are gone! :lol: I know, I know you are actually driving the car and enjoying it so much that you forget about us.... :-( You have to taper off of us slowly Matt, its too much of a shock to our system.... we get MATT withdrawal... :lol: Recently a few people said, where is Matt and hows he doing? I have never seen that before, members asking where other members are and how they are doing! :lol: Hope your totally rebuilt Seville is running great...time to rebuild the suspension... :lol:

My old car....'93 SLS.

The IO39 indicates a problem with the ride control. The runninig joke is the the car should have been called the SRC for 'service ride control.'

First off, they all do it...its not 'if' but 'when'....

The diagnostics on the SLS IO39 is you now have to go to the module in the trunk and flash the codes out. Strange...but thats how it is done...

I suspect a bad strut electronics....so what? I could never feel the struts change the settings anyway. In addition....with 100k + ....you will not be able to feel the struts change...so many items are worn..bushings and ball joint will loosen over time.

I sold my '93 with the original struts with 205k miles. The car rode fine.

There is a $5 fix on how to trick the IPC cluster and turn off the 'service ride control' message. It can be found in the 'how to' section of Caddyinfo.com

I should add....UART was the older data network phrase. I think the current term is Class 2 data network..

I think this was a federal mandate.

I was hopeing today was going to be a good day but it started off just terrible. Things went down hill as soon as I got to work and read the posts. First off, I think about you guys all the time. Never have I met a bunch of people like those here, willing to help and ask nothing in return, willing to let those try to help and not make fun when they are not right. My job is such that I am sent away or on the road a few times per week, and sometimes I'm sent away for a week at a time. It's very hard on my relationship with my girlfriend, then when I am home if there is a problem with my car I spend to many hours with it instead of doing things around the house with her. That is going to do major harm one day I just know it. If I have a problem with my ride I have to hurry and try to fix things as fas as I can before time runs out and I am gone again, that's why you may hear from me 25 times a day. I log in many times but there are times when I'm here but not loged in because I do not want to get caught on the site when I'm working, someone may check up on me. There are other times when I'm here but am not smart enough or have no experience with problems someone may be having, so I can not offer any help. I know you just can not come on and think this is a general chat room. Believe me I am always lookng to see if I can offer any help, I owe so much. I have another prblem again, it's my stomach. I think the burning holes are back, It's due to work. Im here 23 years now, it's my own falt that it's been so long. I never really found a job that I wanted to do all my life. But I'm here, I do my job the best I can. I always do what I think is best for the company though they do not care about us. They tell you any chance they get" quit if you do not like it,we can replace you in a flash". I do my job good because that is how I am, not because it's the only game in town. There attitude is very upsetting. Some of you guys have the ability to work for your self and at home maybe too, that is good in ways and bad to I think . Stress is stress. I assure you all like I said before," I think about you guys all the time". My car is running great, it's clean and 10 feet away from me. I may use it for this afternoons customer calls. It's the best car I ever owned. The UART problem is no big deal, it's just one of the very few things to track down. I'v been over the wireing for the problem with the help from the manuals. The pictures are different for the ride control module in the book then what I see in the trunk so it's hard to know which is it. All the wireing in the trunk and in the drivers compartment looks new. I'm going to pull the plugs at each strut and clen them and see if that makes the code go away. I've done a master clear on the PCM but I still get the I039 Current code so it's still going on. I do not know how to "Flash" the ride control mdule yet. I'v only been in the books about 5 hours, this will take some time to understand. I better get going for now. I have to punch in. Have a great day all. Mike take care, have a good day..

Matt, sorry about all the stress you are getting at work. I was more or less saying we miss you after seeing you every day... I am lucky to work in my own business and that I have this site up all day on a second monitor so its easy. I once had a job (Citibank or Shittybank as I called it) where they said the same thing, "There is a line a replacements dying to sit in your seat". I hated that job, life is hard enough without jerks like that. Hey if you are good in your job, you have nothing to worry about, move on, they need it so that they lose that attitude... Good Luck, Mike

Glad you bought the manual

Hi Mike, thanks for the kind words. I guess with all the silly problems I have had I am good for the board. Many can learn from my misfortune. LOL Mike I can tell you stories the like you have from ****** Bank. I just can not here. When the take over happened 3 years ago and the company I was with for 20 years got bought out we had to sign contracts saying if we talk about the new company in poor taste we will be fired. It took us 2 weeks to sign all the contracts they had that will come back to bite us in our butts. I cant believe it's raining again, I wiped the car off 3 times so far this AM, now Im done. I have to run mike. Maybe Logan can tell me more info on how to flash the module in the trunk and what it looks like. My manuals show different looking modules. I have to get out to a customer or 6, I better run. I will check in later.

Hi Mike, thanks for the kind words. I guess with all the silly problems I have had I am good for the board. Many can learn from my misfortune. LOL Mike I can tell you stories the like you have from ****** Bank. I just can not here. When the take over happened 3 years ago and the company I was with for 20 years got bought out we had to sign contracts saying if we talk about the new company in poor taste we will be fired. It took us 2 weeks to sign all the contracts they had that will come back to bite us in our butts. I cant believe it's raining again, I wiped the car off 3 times so far this AM, now Im done. I have to run mike. Maybe Logan can tell me more info on how to flash the module in the trunk and what it looks like. My manuals show different looking modules. I have to get out to a customer or 6, I better run. I will check in later.

I have flashed the suspension module before its tedious but not difficult. Send me an email address and I will send you the procedure I have from the 91 maybe that will help

Nope.....

The LED flash mode only works on the CCC,SSS, ??? systems....the mild ride control systems. Cadillac has a few names for these systems...

The STS has the flown bloown technical system. Quite different then the base system

Well....that did not work!

The base cars...you have to flash the module for codes. Basic ride system. There is a way to turn off codes

The upper level cars....yes, you have to deal with it.....

I have had "service CCR" for five years. :angry: Recently found Logan's post how to disable it and did disable it in five minutes. I am not sure it will work on your car. Here it is:

Document #740707

Info -- Procedure to Disable Illumination of Service Indicator AFTER installing Passive Struts #00-03-11-001A

Applies to:

• 1989-1992 Cadillac Allante

• 1991-1993 Cadillac Eldorado, Seville

• 1991-1995 Cadillac DeVille

This bulletin is being revised to clarify when this bulletin may be used to turn the service suspension lamp off. Also, a step has been added to the 1991 Cadillac Eldorado and Seville repair. Please discard Corporate Bulletin Number 00-03-11-001 (Section 3 -- Suspension)

Some owners may bring their vehicles in for service with an illuminated service suspension light. The service suspension indicator lamp is telling the owner that the vehicle is due for strut/shock replacement, a maintenance item. The customer may elect to have passive struts installed in their vehicles due to the repair cost savings and/or parts availability. The installation of passive shock/struts will result in handling characteristics which are the equal to a like vehicle without the computer controlled ride, with all other components such as tires, tire pressure, springs, etc. being equal. The installation of (4) new passive struts will cause the continued illumination of the service suspension indicator. If desired by the customer, the service indicator may be disabled AFTER THE INSTALLATION OF THE (4) NEW PASSIVE STRUTS, using the appropriate service procedure listed below. This bulletin DOES NOT authorize this procedure unless (4) NEW PASSIVE STRUTS WERE INSTALLED ON THE VEHICLE.

The wiring harness going to each strut and or chock assembly should be cut and taped back to clean-up the appearance both under the hood and under the vehicle. In addition, each specific vehicle will require a modification as outlined below:

• 1989-1992 Allante with Speed Dependent Damping (SDD): Refer to the Service Manual page 8D-13 (1989) or 8D-14 (1990-1992). On these vehicles, adjust the BCM Override value "BS08". To do this, use the warmer/cooler button on the CCDIC to decrease the BCM override value "BS08" which is displayed when you enter the system by two(2). When the desired number is displayed on the CCDIC, it must be stored by holding the "Elapsed Time" and "Fuel Used" buttons until the new value flashes on and off. When it flashes on and off, the new value has been stored.

• 1991 Eldorado and Seville with Computer Command Ride (CCR): Refer to the Service Manual page 8D-12. Set the BCM override value BS09 to 0 by using the warmer and cooler buttons. Store this value by pressing the Econ button on the climate control panel and the Instant Econ button on the Fuel Data/Drivers Information Center for about five seconds. The new value will be stored even through the indicator does not flash. Remove the key from the ignition. Disconnect both battery cables from the battery. When both cables have been disconnected, touch the ends of the cables together and hold for five seconds. This will discharge the capacitors in the system and allow the system to perform properly when the battery cables are reconnected. Advise the customer they will have to reset all radio stations and clock.

• 1993 Eldorado and Seville with Speed Sensitive Suspension and 4.9L Engine Only: Refer to page 8A-43-6 in the 1992 Eldorado Seville Service Manual.

o Cut Circuit 1020 (PINK)

o Attach the IPC side of circuit 1020 to relay pin 87A

o Attach the module side of circuit 1020 to relay pin 86

o Run a ground wire to relay pin 30

o Run a wire from a switched ignition (hot in run) source to relay pin 85.

• 1991-1993 DeVille with Computer Command Ride (CCR): Refer to the Service Manual, page 8A-43-0. Cut Circuit 1300 (Dark Green wire) at the CCR module (Pin C15) to disable the indicator lamp. Tape the wires back into the harness to prevent shorting to other components.

• 1994-1995 DeVille with Speed Sensitive Suspension (SSS) and 4.9L Engines ONLY: Refer to the 1994 Eldorado, Seville, DeVille Service Manual, page 8A-43-14:

o Locate and cut circuit 370 (RED)

o Attach the IPC side of circuit 370 to pin 87A of the relay

o Attach the module side of circuit 370 to pin 86 of the relay

o Run a ground wire to relay pin 30

o Run a wire from a switched ignition (hot in run) source to relay pin 85.

• The following part numbers are required to make the correction on the 1993 Eldorado/Seville and the 1994-1995 DeVille:

The saddest thing in life is wasted talent

Matt,

Working for yourself is different, but you still have to deal with people. You still depend on suppliers, vendors, customers no matter what you do for a living. IT IS STRESSFUL TOO! If you feel underpaid or treated unfairly - quit! Everbody needs changes from time to time.

The saddest thing in life is wasted talent

Good Day All. I still have not had time to pull the plug from each strut and check and clean the contacts. As you have said Mike, anything out side may have been affected by the weather. I want to do that first before anything else, though I still need to figure out ware and what the module for the ride control system looks like. My manuals show trunk location but none of the pictures match. Other then that the car has been good. The only other thing is with the sun roof. There is a piece of broken plastic on the front of the driver side rail. The roof works fine but it is something else for me to look into. I will post two pictures of what I am talking about, one of the broken side and one of the good side. Maybe I can replace that to. It looks like it may have been broken from slideing the inside sun shade closed to hard. To touch on something from yesterday for a second. Stress is what you perseve it to be. One mans junk is another mans treasure. There is a man here at work, actually there are two men here that have terrible jobs. I would think there stress level should have killed them long ago. They are two of the happiest guys you want to meet. I have no idea how they do it. It maybe position and money that keeps them fine. I do understand that working for yourself is also very hard. After all you must relie on yourself to keep the flow of money coming in so you can pay the bills. Sometimes relieing on yourself is the most stressfull thing to. It's not like working for a major corp. ware you can be 98% sure of work the next day. In a large corp. it is someones elses worry or headache. Many years ago I started a small business, it was not long before I realized I will never quit my job and work for myself. I saw all the problems very fast. Now I just do side work when I can get it. I got to run guys. I will check in from time to time but I will be loged out. Later. ___ By the way, I am thinking of changing my handle here. (name) I have to see if there will be any problems doing that.

Having my own business is stressful also, but I can try to avoid stressful people and situations better than being locked into a company. But being in your own business has other stresses that's true.

Matt many have changed their name here in the past, I used to be 91_Seville on the old board. Its fine to change your name. Actually after a few of my RANTS I have wanted to change my name out of embarrisment... :lol:

• 8 years later...

Archived