CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Coolant temperature

Aloha,

I drove over the Ko'olau mountains today ( 92 Seville 4.9 ). Up the mountain, the temperature went to 225 f. Along the top it droped to about 216 f. Then after coasting most of the way down, at the bottom the temp was 235 f. The fans came on and cooled everything ok but I would have thought that coasting, the temperature would have gone down! Is it possiable that the belt can slip and slow the water pump without me hearing it squeal?

Thanks Ed

Doesn't sound logical Ed. Keep in mind that coasting, the engine is only turning 600 or 700 RPM so coolant flow is low. Just a thought.

Ed, I was in Phoenix last year and on the ride up to Sedona, there was a sign that said, "Turn AC off, 5 mile incline". I was like YEA RIGHT, this is a RENTAL CAR.... It was about 95 - 100 degrees out and I was doing 80 (speed limit was 75). Well low and behold, as I climbed, the temp guage shot up quickly. After we passed about 3 or 4 cars boiling over on the shoulder and as the temp guage shot past 1/2 I looked at my wife and we both opened the windows and shut the AC....pronto

To make a long story short, how bad was that climb up the mountain that you took? Prior to that trip last year, I was unaware that an incline put such a load on the cooling system with the AC on....

Aloha,

I drove over the Ko'olau mountains today ( 92 Seville 4.9 ). Up the mountain, the temperature went to 225 f. Along the top it droped to about 216 f. Then after coasting most of the way down, at the bottom the temp was 235 f. The fans came on and cooled everything ok but I would have thought that coasting, the temperature would have gone down! Is it possiable that the belt can slip and slow the water pump without me hearing it squeal?

Thanks Ed

No matter what is the condition of your belt the engine would cool down while coasting down since there is no load on engine and fresh air flow is pretty good. I see it al the time....

The saddest thing in life is wasted talent

Check your cap, you may have lost some coolant on the way up. Once the upward trek was over it should have cooled down. How high was the elevation? Could it be related to elevation? How is it today?

best thing to do is to use a lower gear, lower gears = higher engine RPM and therefore equals higher coolanty flow, either goignup a hill in lower gear with higher engine RPMs or going down a hill with a lower gear and higher RPMs will provide better cooling efficency. I have experienced this many times.

seems normal to me

I havn't gone out yet today, but at red lights in town yesterday it would heat to 235 f. ish and then the fans would come on and cool things off. Driving 20-40 mph the temp. wae 201-212. Comming back home, up the mountain it ran up to 220. Cooled off at the top and I got to the bottom, back to 232. ( coasting most of the way down hill) On the flat, driving (not at a stop light) the temp is fine. It seems to be when the engine is running slowly. That is why I thought about the belt slipping.

Tks Ed

Archived