CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Dex-Cool Coolant and fuel filter questions

Okay, everybody, I’ve got a couple of questions in here but I’ll give you some background first. ANY help or advice is GREATLY appreciated!

I took my 2000 Eldorado ESC in the other day for an oil change and the shop recommended that the next time I come in I have the fuel filter changed (for approximately $90) and I have the Dex-Cool coolant replaced with the green stuff (for approximately $140, which includes a flush). According to the technician, Dex-Cool is nothing but trouble and because of all the problems the formula of Dex-Cool was changed in 2002 or 2003 as almost an admission of guilt.

Being a faithful reader of this board, I was always under the impression that Dex-Cool is still okay and as long as you change it every 5 years/150,000 miles you’ll be okay. Is this still good advice? Also, I thought coolant flushes were not recommended as you can introduce more impurities into the cooling system than you remove depending upon which other cars have recently been hooked up to the machine. Have thoughts changed on either of these?

I bought this car used about 3 years ago and it’s right at the 5-year mark, so I know the coolant should be changed. I don’t want to mess around doing it myself. The shop that my car was in was not a Goodwrench or dealer shop. Would I be better off just taking it to a dealer and having them do the coolant change? I’m also worried that the shop I had it at wouldn’t use the Bars or GM pellets in the proper radiator hose (the technician said the green stuff is so mild that you probably wouldn’t need the pellets, but he’d leave it up to the guy actually doing the work on the car to make that call). Can I be quite sure that a Caddy dealer would use those pellets? Or do I have to specifically tell them to use the pellets and give them a GM part number? Also, will a dealer NOT do a radiator flush if I tell them not to or am I going to have to fight with them over that?

Finally, how do you know for sure when you need a new fuel filter? The shop I had the car at seemed to think that 5 years/51,000 miles seemed long enough to go on this filter. It might be the original filter for all I know. But I don’t want to flush $90 on a new filter before I need it.

As I said above, I’m a total amateur (even after learning a lot from everyone on this board), so I GREATLY APPRECIATE ANY thoughts/opinions/advice.

Thanks in advance!

ON WISCONSIN

DO NOT install green coolant in your 2000 Eldorado!!! Just drain and refill with Fresh DexCool mixed 50/50 with Distilled water. While the system is empty, add the pellets to the lower radiator hose - not the surge tank. If you install green coolant, it will plate the internals of the cooling system passages with silicates and you will then need to change coolant every 2 years. Also, once the system is plated with silicates, you will not be able to switch back to DexCool - the silicates will negate the long life change interval of the DexCool. Hopefully Bbobynski will offer more detail but I don't recall the DexCool formula changing.....

Forget about changing the fuel filter.....especially for $90..... I'd change them all day long if I could get $90 <_< As long as you are not expierencing any drivability issues, I would pass on the fuel filter.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

One of the reasons coolant flushes are not recommended is because if you flush with water, pure water is now in the block and it becomes difficult to get a 50/50 mix. But as you mentioned the reverse flush routine that some shops perform can contaminate the system with debris and GREEN coolant.. I would just drain and refill with 50/50 Dexcool and distilled water from the supermarket.

Was this a Cadillac dealer you took your car to?

What is this shop you took it to, and when does his "Dexcool expert knowledge certification" expire? Dexcool coolant (as you know) is perfectly fine and runs great in these cars (and most others). Don't let them install the green coolant. They're just trying to get your money to make the switch. Oh, and convenient to them, after you put the green in, you'll have to come back to them every 2 years to have it changed again. ;)

Forget the fuel filter. Mine's still original (yes, after 150,000 miles almost) and it runs perfect.

Jason(2001 STS, White Diamond)

"When you turn your car on...does it return the favor?"

I have to agree with everyone who has responded to your inquiry. I drained and replaced my coolant on my 99 STS - its not that bad of a job. I also replaced the original fuel filter ($~16.00), it took me 10 minutes. My car has 75K on it.

THANK YOU for all of your earlier responses! I feel a lot more comfortable now that I told the guy in the shop I had the car in that I'd get back to him.

In response to your questions, it was NOT a Cadillac dealer or a GM Goodwrench service center. But it was a AAA-approved service facility. I had been giving them the benefit of the doubt because when the car was still under warranty I had a problem that the Caddy dealer back in WI didn't fix properly/completely and it flared up on my way out from WI to AZ (they merely replaced a switch on the A/C unit when what it needed was a new diode that acts like a surge suppressor on the compressor). The shop out here that recommended green coolant and a new fuel filter was the place that actually fixed it properly (although it took a couple of tries).

So that's why I come across as concerned about taking it back to a Caddy dealership for service. It's a long ride down to the dealership here, I need my car, and I don't want to have to take it in more than once for a coolant drain and refill (i.e., I want it done right). So I'm paranoid about it (but not to the point of wanting to do it myself! haha!).

Any other thoughts? Thanks again!!

ON WISCONSIN

I'd just ask them to drain and refill. Provide them the coolant, and provide them the sealing tabs (or Bars Leak Golden Seal). The sealing tabs (Bars Leak is the same thing) are installed from the factory for good measure, and most of us put another dose in whenever we drain and refill the coolant. Give them a few jugs of new Dexcool (buy premixed if it makes you feel any better) and the Bars Leak and they can't screw it up unless they intentionally disregard your instructions.

Jason(2001 STS, White Diamond)

"When you turn your car on...does it return the favor?"

We have 3 Cadillac dealers in our area. I went to each one and spoke to the service manager and in two cases mechanics that I know. None use the pellets. They are unfortunately WRONG! I ran a copy of the page from the shop manual for our 1999 sls and bought it with me to the dealer I felt most comfortable with.

I insisted on staying with the mechanic and watched him crush 3 tablets and place in the lower hose. 50 50 mix of Dex Cool.

The mechanic and service manager earned a tip and we were all happy and now they were correctly informed!

Just wonder how much damage these Cadillac dealers are causing to customers cars ?

My two cents

Charlie

GM stopped adding the sealant from the factory in 2000 or so. It does not hurt to continue to use it as it will seal any nusiance leaks.

The sealant is mandatory in the 4.1, 4.5, and 4.9 engines.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

• 2 weeks later...

All,

I have a 1997 STS and I was thinking of taking it in for a Dexcool change. I have never heard of the pellets for the lower hose. Does this hold true on my 97? I just turned 90,000 miles.

Thanks Woody

Woody: It's true on your 97. I just don't know what year GM started to use Dexcool. I thought it was later.

DoubleBadger: That shop doesn't look good after recomendation of changing fuel filter. From other side, you gotta exspect all this crap when you go to the mechanics, and you will "I'm paranoid about it (but not to the point of wanting to do it myself! haha!)."

I got impression, that more owner goes to mechanics - he has more trouble with a car, he pays more, his opinion about the car gets worse. So, prepare yourself. Try take everything that mechanics say with a grain of salt. You already did first step in right direction: forum. :D

All,

I have a 1997 STS and I was thinking of taking it in for a Dexcool change. I have never heard of the pellets for the lower hose. Does this hold true on my 97? I just turned 90,000 miles.

Thanks Woody

Yes - add the pellets to the lower hose. If your coolant has not been changed, it's past due.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

Woody: It's true on your 97. I just don't know what year GM started to use Dexcool. I thought it was later.

I think they started using Dex in '96 if I am not mistaken.

I think they started using Dex in '96 if I am not mistaken.

You are correct - '96 was the first model year for Dexcool.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

Archived