CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Tires - yet again...

bc6t

Not to start another lengthy debate re: French tires, but I need some advice on the Michelin Pilots. I have currently ordered 4 - Pilot XGT-H4 tires for my '98 STS (235/60/16 - ZR). Does anyone have any experience with these specific Pilots? My preference was for the Pilot A/S, but they do not come in the right size.

Also, my car has the ZR option - will I lose significant performance running on HR tires?

By the way - I have been motivated to change my Goodyear LS (ZR) tires a bit early because of unacceptable pancaking of the tires - I actually cracked the rim going over a moderate sized pothole...

Thanks for feedback in advance...

Tom R.

1998 Cadillac STS with 102K Miles

I have two on my car. Two of my original Goodyears were still serviceable, so I only put on two. I changed the others because I was chasing the dreaded "out of balance" problem so common on my model ('99 STS). The Michelins are very high quality tires. Both balanced well, even using the road force balance system. One did not require ANY wheelweights! I was able to get the road force under 5 pounds on both of them, which is exceptional. Using these two tires I was able to get my balance issue to tolerable. I say tolerable, because I doubt that it will ever go away completely.

I'm not much for high performance driving, but so far I judge them to be somewhat more capable than the Goodyears...really hard to tell when changing only two.

In contrast, during my search for "round" tires, I had the opportunity to put 4 Toyo Proxys on the STS. These tires made a very noticeable improvement in the smoothness and quietness in the entire car. Only problem was that I couldn't get them to balance. They were worse than the Goodyears in that department with the road force machine rejecting 3 out of 6 on it's own.....I rejected the rest. So, although I suspect there are better tires out there, possibly the Hydroedge, you won't go wrong with the tires you bought.

Never underestimate the amount of a persons greed.

I had two sets of those Pilot XGT H-4's on my '92 STS..Great tires. You won't regret having bought them. Ac far as the 'Z' to 'H' rating..you'll be fine. Just try to keep it below 150 ;) Actually, and ocasional run up to there is ok too. The speed rating is designed using sustained speeds over time and temperature. An excursion or two beyond the rating, and you'll still be here to type about it.. :huh:

'93 STS.. opened, dropped, wide...fast.

user posted image

Not to start another lengthy debate re: French tires, but I need some advice on the Michelin Pilots. I have currently ordered 4 - Pilot XGT-H4 tires for my '98 STS (235/60/16 - ZR). Also, my car has the ZR option - will I lose significant performance running on HR tires?

Yeah, I've got the same exact tires that you ordered (Pilot XGT H4, in 225/60/16 size). The H-rated tires are rated to sustained speeds of 130 mph. I think they define "sustained" as 5 minutes or more. Not sure. I will assume that you never drive much above 130 mph anyway, so what you will "lose" is really moot. What you'll gain is a softer ride and much longer treadlife. The H4s are rated over 500 treadwear I think. The A/Ses are somewhere south of 300 I believe.

I'm on my second set of the Pilot H4s. Love 'em to death. I'll buy 'em again if they're still making them when I need tires again, 30k miles from now. If not, I really like the new HydroEdges. They come with the Durablack sidewalls (which really work great) and a 760 treadwear rating!

Good luck with your new Michelins. You won't regret the purchase.

Jason(2001 STS, White Diamond)

"When you turn your car on...does it return the favor?"

Jason...Just love them "a lot".... ;)

I'll take 'em to the guillotine!

Jason, my wife has this saying, which I hear from time to time:...

"Be careful what you wish for"... <_<

user posted image

I am looking at the Pilot A/S Their UTOG rating is 400 AAA. So thet are a little better than the 300 referred to above. Haven't looked at the XGT H4 yet but will ASAP. I need the A/S living here up in Canada.

2001 STS Mettalic Otter Grey, Black Leather, 213,000 kilometers - miles - ? Still running strong!

Thanks for the feedback.

The H4 are all season as well and quite a bit more affordable than the Pilot Sport A/S. Also, the PILOT Sport A/S and XGT V4/Z4 do not come in 235/60/16 sizing....

Tom R.

I am looking at the Pilot A/S Their UTOG rating is 400 AAA. So thet are a little better than the 300 referred to above. Haven't looked at the XGT H4 yet but will ASAP. I need the A/S living here up in Canada.

Rickster, thanks for the correction. I must have confused them with something else. Maybe the XGT Z or V series. Dunno. :lol:

Someone on this board purchased a set of Hydroedge Michelins about a month or so ago. Did we ever get the final evaluation on them? The Hydroedge tread design is very similar to the Toyo Proxys. If they would make the same amount of difference in smoothness and quietness that the Proxys did on my car,....and be round...they would be a great tire I think.

Never underestimate the amount of a persons greed.

T is 118, which is still 30 mph faster than I'll ever drive around here. :)

Those Hydroedge tires look really nice. I saw one in person at Sears the other day. Very "fast" looking tread pattern, a 760AB rating, and Durablack sidewalls. And only $127 apiece at Sam's, mounted and balanced with lifetime roadhazard and rotation. I would expect to see some complaints of a harsh ride with that long tread wear rating, but so far, on the reviews at Tirerack, I haven't seen many negatives on that tire.

Jason. No problem. Were here to help each other out. And to correct each other.LOL. I have looked at the Hydoedge and they don't make the 235/55/17 yet. At least there are not available in Canada yet. But it is a nice looking tire. Also just looked at the XGT X4. Same thing. Can't find 17's. I think I'm sold on the Pilots A/S. Just looking for the best price. Best I've found so far is $1500 installed including tax and levy. That's Canuck bucks by the way.

Rick

2001 STS Mettalic Otter Grey, Black Leather, 213,000 kilometers - miles - ? Still running strong!

Rickster,

Check out Volco Tires in your area (Vancouver, Canada). They should be able to shave $200-300 CDN off of that price for the Pilot A/S.

Tom R.

Thanks Tom. I will check it out today.

Rick

Easy $200 plus savings. Thanks again Tom. I owe you a beer.

Rick

"An excursion or two beyond the rating, and you'll still be here to type about it.." :D Back in the "Polyglass" days we never gave a hoot about "Speed Rating". You weren't driving fast unless you buried the needle past the numbers. :D

rek

"An excursion or two beyond the rating, and you'll still be here to type about it.." :D Back in the "Polyglass" days we never gave a hoot about "Speed Rating". You weren't driving fast unless you buried the needle past the numbers. :D

...Like I said, "We'll still be here to type about it" ;) ...

user posted image

Ordered the Pilots A/S today. Beleive it or not, from the dealer. Took in the quote from Volco Tires (Thanks Tom) and asked if they could match it. Not only match it, they beat it. Saved over $250 from their original quote from a month ago. I will send some of the savings to "The Bruce Man" for providing this site for us to learn from each other. Thanks all. I will give some feed back on the tires next week after install.

Rick

New skin day tomorow. Can't wait. Feel like a little kid on Christmas eve. I will post comments tomorrow.

Archived