CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Premium gas

I was just wondering, I have read in several places that the Northstars produced from 2000 and on you no longer needed to use premium gas, because of the knock sensors and the engines ability to retard and advance the ignition. How come on my 2000 the gas gauge states premium unleaded only? Not that I want to use a lower octane fuel, I have discovered in many of my vehicels that it all comes out about the same, you pay more for higher grades of fuel but you also get more miles to the gallon.But I wanted to know if you don't need premium why does the gauge state you do?

It will run on peanut oil if that's all you've got handy. :D

Simply stated, it is optimized for premium even though it's not required. This includes pre 2000 vehicles as well.

When gas prices last spiked, I switched to regular. I lost about 1.2 mpg overall. In the end I saved only pennies. With the last spike in price I opted to stick with premium and enjoy full performance.

The performance hit with regular gas was negligable (though it stopped repeatedly chirping the tires through first gear during WOT).

Interestingly, I've gained nearly 1.5 mpg now that they've stopped putting that politically motivated ethanol crap in my tank.

Regards,

Warren

Posted Image

There is no means of avoiding the final collapse of a boom brought about by credit expansion. The alternative is only whether the crisis should come sooner as the result of a voluntary abandonment of further credit expansion, or later as a final and total catastrophe of the currency system involved. - Ludwig von Mises

Which brand does not have ethanol?

Kent

ANY brand, after May 1st, or thereabouts. It's a seasonal thing.

Regards,

Warren

Posted Image

There is no means of avoiding the final collapse of a boom brought about by credit expansion. The alternative is only whether the crisis should come sooner as the result of a voluntary abandonment of further credit expansion, or later as a final and total catastrophe of the currency system involved. - Ludwig von Mises

Which brand does not have ethanol?

Kent

Kent,

I is regional. Mostly in the large metro areas like Chicago. I can't by gas without it but I think you may be able to. If it is in there, there will be a sticker on the side of the pump that says 10% ethanol.

CaddyPete,

I have been running regular for 3 years now with no noticable change in performance or milage.

CaddyPete,

I have been running regular for 3 years now with no noticable change in performance or milage.

Ranger,

Maybe you haven't been flooring it often enough? LOL

That's the only way to tell if the performance changed.

I give it an occassional WOT (strictly for preventative mantainence purposes) and I cannot tell the difference. I am sure if I put it on a 1/4 mile or a dyno there would be some but seat-of-the-pants dyno can't tell.

Archived