CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

3 Devilles side-by-side

Cad1

Blow it up to 200% and dig the 5th wheel on the far right caddy. To bad you don't see more of that now a days. I remember the eldos with them. Maybe they can stick one on the STS?

post-3-1116936033_thumb.jpg

92 Deville w/210k miles

Yes it is! They call it a 56, the 56 looked like the 55, unless the eldo was different... you are right it looks like a 58.... remember the 58 caddy look with only one light in the back, very unusual..

Whoops, I typed 58 by accident. I really like the old caddys but I don't know too many of them by name or year. I like the early 60s rag tops, I think it is the deville body with the chiseled tail lights that sit high on the fender.

I believe my first encounter with a caddy was with a 55. I have a picture of me sitting on the fender in Herb Tarlic (sp) pants, too young to recall that though.

92 Deville w/210k miles

Whoops, I typed 58 by accident. I really like the old caddys but I don't know too many of them by name or year. I like the early 60s rag tops, I think it is the deville body with the chiseled tail lights that sit high on the fender.

I believe my first encounter with a caddy was with a 55. I have a picture of me sitting on the fender in Herb Tarlic (sp) pants, too young to recall that though.

The first caddy I was in was a 55, my parents had a 55 Fleetwood, and we went across country with it.....

I was taking my kids home to their Mother last night after a weekend with me. We had a long weekend up here this past one...

We were driving up the regional road here, heading for the highway and over the hill coming toward us was something old. My son called all our attention to it as it approached and sure enough... it was a Caddy. Well he was blown away and it was a beauty. A sedan for sure and '50s vintage... "internet Explorer blue" with what looked like 5" wide whitewalls... she was really moving too so all I could do was glance and smile.

Love them old girls.

Mike P

What's inside those spare tire covers, anyway? Anything besides rust and black widow spiders?

photo-36.jpg

Happiness is owning a Cadillac with no codes.

When I was a kid my parents had this 54 Packard Carabbean, the spare tire was in there wire wheels and all! This was very close to a Cadillac! By the way, we had to get rid of it because the HEAD cracked! Everything including the conv top, windows, brakes were hydraulic and when the pump when out, NOTHING worked! Mike

post-3-1116957862_thumb.jpg

Thank You, I was very sad the day Packard went out of business, and I was a kid....they were very innovative. I can still picture the leather seats, cracks and all, lol... The gas cap was under one of the lights, if I recall..

I see those "Continental Kits" here in South Florida every single day, without fail. Haven't seen any on Cadillacs newer than 2000 though, but plenty of the ones from the late 80's and 90's are riding around. FYI - when in nice shape those sell for upwards of $400.00 on eBay.

cheers,

~Doc

post-3-1117113479_thumb.jpg

For sure Doc, South Florida is the place for them... up here, we get a lot of snow and crud and I can see it jammed between and possibly making it tough to use the trunk...

Do you sell these things too? If you did, you could be the #1 5th wheel seller on eBay too! :D

I would love to buy some wheels from you but the shipping would kill me...

Mike P

I had some rims sent up to me from Doc, and the savings on the wheel price helped to offset any shipping expenses ... I beleive the weight was 66lbs for 4 wheels, and probably costs around 90USD .... border fees were about $35 CDN.

Here's a link to the rims Doc sold me ... I'm very satisfied.

http://caddyinfo.ipbhost.com/index.php?showtopic=5883&hl=

1989 FWD Fleetwood, Silver

1995 STS Crimson Pearl on Black leather

1997 STS Diamond White

1999 STS Crimson Pearl

2001 STS Silver

2003 STS, Crimson Pearl

Cad 1...

It's actually a "spare tire" kit... I am not sure if you could actually put a spare in it or whether it even opens in some cases but it is generally fiberglass with a fancy looking hupcap attached and has a bumper attachment as well, combined with the bumper extension with (in the case of the pic from Doc); backup lights. This one blocks the backup lights of the car it is designed to be added to so they add them to the kit bumper.

The whole idea (I think) stems from the old (pre '50s) where they would have the spare outside the trunk somewhere... sometimes on the front fenders between the front wheel and the door. Just a custom add-on.

Also known as a "Continental Kit"...

Mike P

Blow it up to 200% and dig the 5th wheel on the far right caddy. 

When this thread first started I was thinking that some jerk had installed a "fifth wheel" on a Caddy to pull a gooseneck trailer! :blink:

After I read the post, I saw that it was referring to a Continental Kit.

Anyway, a "fifth wheel" usually refers to the hitch that OTR trucks use to hook up to trailers. Some goose neck travel trailers and utility trailers use a smaller version of the "fifth wheel" hitch mounted in a pickup bed.

I was all keyed up to say how dumb it was to butcher a Caddy like that. <_<

I felt a little silly :blink: about what I had been thinking. Then I had to laugh at myself for jumping to conclusions before getting all the information. :P

However, I do think that the one on that Eldo is overkill. It screws up the lines of the car.

Britt

Britt

:P Look at this one with the 5th wheel

Those look like the kind of wheels that appear to keep spinning after the car has stopped. Also note the Buick style port holes on the front fender.

What can I say? :(

photo-36.jpg

Happiness is owning a Cadillac with no codes.

:blink:

I heard about a lady that had stopped at a stop light. When it was her turn to go, she started out & then slammed on the brakes, The guy behind her wasn't expecting that & rearranged her bumper and his grille. The reason? She looked at the car on her left & thought that it was moving. It wasn't, but it had a set of "spinners" & looked like it was moving when she glanced at it. Of course it was the poor saps fault that he whacked her in the rear. :(

I hope that is another fad, like continental kits.

Britt

Britt

:blink:

I heard about a lady that had stopped at a 4 way stop. When it was her turn to go, she started out & then slammed on the brakes, The guy behind her wasn't expecting that & rearranged her bumper and his grille. The reason? She looked at the car on her left & thought that it was moving. It wasn't, but it had a set of "spinners" & looked like it was moving when she glanced at it. Of course it was the poor saps fault that he whacked her in the rear.  :( 

I hope that is another fad, like continental kits.

Britt

That is a really good point, I could see that happening especially if you had never seen those wheels before! WOW!

Ted - thanks for the plug.

Poopdeville - shipping to Canada isn't so bad. FYI - I ship very quickly.

I've had/sold those Continental kits a few times - they always bring big $. First time I was surprised - started the auction at .01¢ with no reserve and figured about $100. When it brought four times that - well, drinks were on me that night.

I need to stop interjecting my personal taste with what sells. I swear, the older I get the dumber I think I am.

have a nice (and safe) holiday weekend everybody,

~Doc

Doc,

Don't let your personal tastes interfere with your sales. Wasn't it the British who said:

"As long as there are cannibals, we will sell them the pots." (to cook with) :o

Britt

Britt

Archived