CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

strut replacement

LACLUV

I was wondering if anyone out there has replace there electronic front struts with regular non electronic struts on a 95 sedan deville and if so where can i find them or whats the part number and who makes them. My problems is that i can find non electronic struts for the front but non of them come with the stabilizer bar link bracket located between the spindle mount and spring mount..... I f someone could give me some insight i would be very thankful..........

I used "Boston Suspension", they sell on the Internet and there are others. Did you search on "passive struts"?

Their passive struts are Gabriel or Monroe's etc that have been modified to fit Caddy. They also supply solder-in "shunts" to suppress any error messages once the orig electronic struts are removed.

One member noted some Caddy struts part number 580-??? that fit quite a few models and were a relative bargain. I can't recall if they were active or passive though.

There should be lots to search on this topic.

Good Luck :)

Add power to leave problems behind. Most braking is just - poor planning.

I believe 580-2 are listed for several early years of cadillacs. You can check ACdelco.com and Rockauto.com. Look at devilles for 95 since they have a passive suspension.

Also look at the suspension section at cadillacforums.com. I beleve there are some folks that have used boston suspension, arnott, and other makes of strut on these years. I personally have some issues with folks involved with the boston strut, but several folks seem to be happy with them.

• 2 weeks later...

i used arnott on my 97 concourse no problems no ears to cut off just install and plug in the wires no problems work great no issues and no codes

• 1 month later...

I just bought the whole Boston set and I advise against it all the way around, Poor customer relations, rude, missing parts, Parts dameaged in shipment, had to hack the car to get it to fit (Cut out Shock Tower) They say it takes 4 hours, I have a full shop, air torches etc, and in my 10th hour, i still have Codes out the ying yang! Plus, Arnott you just plug in Boston had cut wires and solder some disc in that does not work, or I would not be getting code, I had NO codes prior to start, just a leaking shock.

Mike

I just bought the whole Boston set and I advise against it all the way around, Poor customer relations, rude, missing parts, Parts dameaged in shipment, had to hack the car to get it to fit (Cut out Shock Tower) They say it takes 4 hours, I have a full shop, air torches etc, and in my 10th hour, i still have Codes out the ying yang! Plus, Arnott you just plug in Boston had cut wires and solder some disc in that does not work, or I would not be getting code, I had NO codes prior to start, just a leaking shock.

Mike

Are you sure they sent you the correct part for your car? I would not cut away part of the strut tower as I would be concerned about compromising the structural integrity of the car....

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

Even up here in Canada I have heard good thing about the ARNOTT suspension.

I have not heard of BOSTON.

I too am battling with my suspension.

Life is too short to grow up!

This is afterthought people and I wish I had known.

The Boston Shocks (Gabriel) Rear, do not fit the top of the shock tower, you are putting about a 3/8th stud into a 1.5 inch hole (Oval shaped) BOSTON makes up for the difference with a set of washers. I wish the factory hardware was used. Mine was in perfect shape.

*Will this hold up to trailer towing? It looks like it might punch through should the washer corrode or bend from a load. It's just so risky with a car you might take several states away.

At the bottom they (Boston) Use a spacer towards the rear. Who knows what affect this will have on handling, but I know it does not handle like it did. Maybe it's just the change to passive, but no more 60MPH exit ramps, it gets loose!.

Then you have to find a suitable place to mount the "Conductor" they send you. And solder the wires that you hacked from your old shocks to this conductor.

In my case it did not fool the computer, I still get the ride codes. He is cheerfuly sending me new ones. The problem may be thta I wired both wires to one Conductor, bu he got feedback that siad that was ok to do.

Had I went with Arnott, as you may see by the pictures at their web site, it's plug and play, when someone looks under your car they will not be able to tell it's ever been changed, they fit, look, just as the factory shocks. No Chopping into the car for clearence, no chopping air lines, wires, soldering, or putting 3/8th inch studs into 1.5 inch holes, no cheap hardware that is obviously not Cadillac. Unbolt old shock, unplug, install new shocks in same holes, connect same plugs and whala!

It looks like factory install!

And, since you did not hack up your old good shock (One of mine was fine) you can sell that puppy to a used car dealer or put it on another car you were about to trade in, as I had planned to do.

I have not even got to the front yet, Man I hope that goes better!

The front looks better, but no name on the strut. China?

I really do plan on taking the Boston off the rear and going Arnott. The hole at the top makes me nervous to tow anything and sometimes I tow a boat when 4 of us are going out.

Mike

Archived