CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

94 El Dorado

When first started up, runs fine and shifts fine until it warms up. Once it warms up, start up a slight incline or anything that puts load on the tranny and it drops down into second (I believe) and stays there. Codes I get using the climate control console are P039 and P094. Mechanic says replace transmission, I just don't buy that yet. Based on a little research it seems to me the shift solenoid (Vehicle speed sensor) is faulty. However, I really don't know exactly where that is. Any help here would be appreciated.

Don't have the codes in front of me but the symptom is solinoids, I'm sure someone will chime in with the specifics

Joe

When first started up, runs fine and shifts fine until it warms up. Once it warms up, start up a slight incline or anything that puts load on the tranny and it drops down into second (I believe) and stays there. Codes I get using the climate control console are P039 and P094. Mechanic says replace transmission, I just don't buy that yet. Based on a little research it seems to me the shift solenoid (Vehicle speed sensor) is faulty. However, I really don't know exactly where that is. Any help here would be appreciated.

039 - VCC engagement problem

Check out this recent thread:

http://caddyinfo.ipbhost.com/index.php?showtopic=4642&hl=

The saddest thing in life is wasted talent

Thanks for the info so far, the P039 code indicates a TCC problem. Still acting the same though, I can start it up and drives fine until it warms up, then as soon as I put a load on it - Boom, drops into second and stays there. Any ideas on a manual which gives the exact location of the shift solenoid?

www.helminc.com....They were having a sale on 95 & earlier manuals...lots of info on here about the shift solenoids...fairly easy job if you remember to put the plastic retainer clip in :)

A.J.

• 3 weeks later...

I have the same problem with my 94 Eldorado. I set code P094 and it downshifts into second after warm up and going up an incline. Is the speed sensor, and the shift solenoid the one and same, or different?

Ken

I don't have that imformation yet. From what I have come up with, the speed sensor is located inside the transaxle. I don't believe it is too hard to get to, and the part is around $45.00. Haven't chased it down yet because I am also working on a vette, (my wifes - so it has priority). When I do, I will post here.

Gregg

Which speed sensor? There are two. The vehicle speed sensor, mounted on the transmission case above the right output shaft, easily accessable through the right wheel well and the input speed sensor located inside the side cover, not accessable without dropping the trans.

Archived