CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

AC Help

My AC quit working yesterday. I had not heard any weird sounds before it stopped cooling.

The fan runs like it is trying to cool...the air it blows out is hot air. I tried to run codes and it did not come back with anything.

any clues on where to start?

I'm pretty sure I'm correct about this. I'll have a look-see at the service manual and post back if I'm wrong, BUT if you enter diagnostic mode and see the little "fan" icon illuminated in the Climate Control panel, that means that the PCM is commanding the AC clutch "On."

If the clutch is NOT engaged while the fan icon IS illuminated, then it's time to look at fuses, the AC clutch relay, the AC clutch and associated wiring.

If the fan icon is NOT illuminated, then the AC clutch will NEVER engage until you darn well convince the PCM you gotta have AC.

Hope this helps you get started.

Regards,

Warren

Posted Image

There is no means of avoiding the final collapse of a boom brought about by credit expansion. The alternative is only whether the crisis should come sooner as the result of a voluntary abandonment of further credit expansion, or later as a final and total catastrophe of the currency system involved. - Ludwig von Mises

• 2 weeks later...

I stopped by Autozone Friday and picked a can of freon (r134) and hose and figured I would add freon and see if that helped. Upon popping the hood and looking for where a possible leak might be occurring, I noticed that the hose right beside the fitting add the freon had become completley unscrewed.

I tighened her up, added a 17 oz. can, and was relived to her the compressor kick on. Seems to be working fine now.

Does anyone know how much freon a 95 STS should hold when full?

I stopped by Autozone Friday and picked a can of freon (r134) and hose and figured I would add freon and see if that helped. Upon popping the hood and looking for where a possible leak might be occurring, I noticed that the hose right beside the fitting add the freon had become completley unscrewed.

I tighened her up, added a 17 oz. can, and was relived to her the compressor kick on. Seems to be working fine now.

Does anyone know how much freon a 95 STS should hold when full?

You need to evacuate the system with a vacuum pump. Then charge with 2.0 lbs of R-134a. If the line was loose, you probably lost the entire charge and have air in the system. Air will reduce the cooling capacity of the system and it contains moisture which will react with the refrigerant to form an acid that will eat away at the system.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

Archived