CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

96 DeVille Steering Wheel Controls

Hey folks, so I tried this question on another forum and didn't really get any help so let me try here. So the steering wheel controls on my 96 DeVille don't work anymore. Plus, the radio volume will go up and down on it's own and it also changes stations on it's own. The A/C, the temps will go up and down on it's own as will the fan speed. This all pretty much happened when the controls stopped working. I wanted to try and remove the horn pad/airbag and just unplug them but I don't want to mess with the old airbag. I'm pretty sure there's gotta be a plug at the bottom of the steering column so I wanted to ask if there is and is it a certain color? How do I identify the correct plug? Sorry for the stupid question but I'm a stupid guy so I gotta ask.. I need all the help I can get.. LOL.. Thanks!    

1355177301_Caddy2.thumb.jpg.40dfc05e0861db8b3e74deec4f75cc76.jpg

I do recall you had issues with these switches. Does the horn work properly? Try it at multiple steering positions. Just to see if the clockspring itself may have failed.

The steering wheel controls plug into the clockspring. Somewhere I have those switches, a spare column (console shift though) that part would not matter. I will try and have a look at my column and snap some pics to send you. You have a resistance problem somewhere that is causing the controls to act weird. 

It will likely take a few days for me to look at my column but I will post once I do.

Every time I see your 96 it makes me miss mine. Still my favorite year

GM FAN FOREVER

Nice, clean, luxury= fine automobile

18 hours ago, rockfangd said:

I do recall you had issues with these switches. Does the horn work properly? Try it at multiple steering positions. Just to see if the clockspring itself may have failed.

The steering wheel controls plug into the clockspring. Somewhere I have those switches, a spare column (console shift though) that part would not matter. I will try and have a look at my column and snap some pics to send you. You have a resistance problem somewhere that is causing the controls to act weird. 

It will likely take a few days for me to look at my column but I will post once I do.

Every time I see your 96 it makes me miss mine. Still my favorite year

Thanks! Yes, the horn works fine. I've tried the controls while turning the wheel and get nothing. Unfortunately this car has a lot of issues and I believe now a head gasket is going. I gotta add antifreeze every month and I can smell it. Just don't see where it's coming from so I'm assuming a head gasket. But the car is still limping along. I believe it'll be in a scrap yard in another year or so. I'm kinda chicken to take the horn pad off because of the airbag. With my luck the airbag will blow on me. LOL.. If it wasn't for that I'd just take the wheel off and unplug them.  Yes, this is my favorite year too. Love the car and the looks. 

Edited by jndnaps

2 hours ago, Göran W said:

OT  Are you sure it´s not a leak from the heater?

Nope! Not sure where it's from. I always smell it, but never see any leaks anywhere. It has about 150K miles on it now.

I looked at the column I have tonight and unfortunately I stole the clockspring for something else. I have the stuff, Wheel, clockspring, If I could find the time to look for it I would gladly send pics. The back of the wheel shows right where the SWRC controls plug into the wheel and to the clockspring

Disconnect the battery. 4 torx bolts hold the airbag onto the wheel from behind. Technically you can work behind the airbag by just carefully setting it down, but I prefer to unplug it and set it aside so it does not pull on wires.

You will see the black plug at the bottom of the wheel in the opening. It plugs in there and goes to each side SWRC

If you want to proceed farther to the clockspring there is some tidbits below.

Also here is a video that should help greatly. 

Once the airbag is free there is one or 2 plugs depending on the year. (yellow connector)

Unplug the horn plug by pushing in slightly and turning counter clockwise. Use caution as the clip is commonly broken, and does break rather easily. (if it breaks horn will not work). Remove the black wire from the threaded hole (press the clip and slide out

Once airbag is out of the way it gets a little easier. 

Center the steering wheel. You will see a little groove in the top of the shaft to show shaft is on center. I always mark wheel and shaft anyway

Remove the nut that holds the steering wheel onto the shaft. 21mm I believe.

Use a wheel puller to pull the wheel off the shaft. You will s

GM FAN FOREVER

On 9/12/2023 at 9:18 PM, rockfangd said:

I looked at the column I have tonight and unfortunately I stole the clockspring for something else. I have the stuff, Wheel, clockspring, If I could find the time to look for it I would gladly send pics. The back of the wheel shows right where the SWRC controls plug into the wheel and to the clockspring

Disconnect the battery. 4 torx bolts hold the airbag onto the wheel from behind. Technically you can work behind the airbag by just carefully setting it down, but I prefer to unplug it and set it aside so it does not pull on wires.

You will see the black plug at the bottom of the wheel in the opening. It plugs in there and goes to each side SWRC

If you want to proceed farther to the clockspring there is some tidbits below.

Also here is a video that should help greatly. 

Once the airbag is free there is one or 2 plugs depending on the year. (yellow connector)

Unplug the horn plug by pushing in slightly and turning counter clockwise. Use caution as the clip is commonly broken, and does break rather easily. (if it breaks horn will not work). Remove the black wire from the threaded hole (press the clip and slide out

Once airbag is out of the way it gets a little easier. 

Center the steering wheel. You will see a little groove in the top of the shaft to show shaft is on center. I always mark wheel and shaft anyway

Remove the nut that holds the steering wheel onto the shaft. 21mm I believe.

Use a wheel puller to pull the wheel off the shaft. You will s

Thanks for the info and all but I really just wanted to know if there is a plug at the bottom of the steering column or under the dash that I can just unplug? That's more than I want to go through. I think I may just pull the radio and see if I can't just cut the wires that go from the steering wheel switch to the radio in the harness. This car is gonna probably see the junkyard within a year or so so I'm not too concerned about how I go about it. Just like the A/C blower motor. I got an after market one and I'm probably gonna just cut the metal plenum box or what ever it's called and pull it up out of the way and easily install the new one and bend the metal back down and caulk it. 

I will find out which wires they are at the base of the column. Pretty sure it goes to the large plug. I do not believe the wires go to the radio. Likely to the IPC. I will post them as soon as I find them. There may be a common ground to all of them that you can cut. 

GM FAN FOREVER

• 3 weeks later...

Can you try something for me. Under the dash right below the column is a fuseholder with 2 2 amp fuses (iirc) in it. Can you remove the fuses.

Once removed verify if the horn still works and the airbag light is normal. I do believe the fuses are specifically for the steering wheel controls. 

You can't miss  the fuses. They hang down just below the steering column. Not hidden by anything other than the hush panel

GM FAN FOREVER

On 10/8/2023 at 12:38 PM, rockfangd said:

Can you try something for me. Under the dash right below the column is a fuseholder with 2 2 amp fuses (iirc) in it. Can you remove the fuses.

Once removed verify if the horn still works and the airbag light is normal. I do believe the fuses are specifically for the steering wheel controls. 

You can't miss  the fuses. They hang down just below the steering column. Not hidden by anything other than the hush panel

Thanks for the info. So I tried to look today and screwed up my neck trying so I'm gonna have to try again another day.. LOL..