CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

DIC went Crazy on '99 STS

JohnnyG

Today was one of those "January thaw" days here in southwestern PA...hit 65 on my temp display. I was on one of my bi-weekly jaunts to Pittsburgh, about 150 miles each way. Got to the local mall in Pgh. and did a little shopping. When I came back out, it was too hot in the car so as soon as I hit the key, started the engine, I reached down to hit the A/C ON button. My DIC went nuts! First it said "Service Airbag" then "Service Security System" then "Service Suspension System". I FREAKED, I'm supposed to be leaving on a 1200 mile journey to Orlando on Tuesday! What could have happened? I shut her down and waited a few seconds, started her up again, and, after a suspensful pause, things seemed to return to normal. I drove about 6 mile from there before I had a chance to get my codes. About 24 codes popped up....at least one in EVERY system....all but one HISTORY. (the non-history is the B1900, headrest position...been there forever code). Reset codes....drove about another 20 miles before checking codes again...All Normal, no codes. Just the one current code remains B1900. What could have happened?

Never underestimate the amount of a persons greed.

Probably a "timing" hiccup on the communications link. I've seen similar displays(but nothing like 24 DTCs). Clear the codes and monitor. And maybe pause a second between ON and START.

Do a few extra "starts" to ease your mind before you hit the interstate to FL. Enjoy Orlando.

Jim

Drive your car.

Use your cell phone.

CHOOSE ONE !

Thanks Jim, yeah, been doin' the pause thing since this happened. Drove back from Pgh and all seemed normal. Didn't pull the codes yet, prob. do that in the morning. I think Larry is correct too. Last winter, the "winter gremlins" brought out the "Speed Limited to 90" :angry: message, this time it was a bunch of other warnings, had to be summer gremlins. :)

"Strange things happened to my DIC today"...yep, all of us notice strange things happening to our DICs sooner or later. I was 3 years old when I noticed it for the first time. :lol::lol::lol::lol:

Sorry, could not stand!

The saddest thing in life is wasted talent

Yeah, I think I would have picked a better acronym. This must be GM's way of giving the techs something to laugh about.

Archived