CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Caddy Aluminum Wheels

AtlantaMc

Hey All,

My 97 Deville wheels are peeling :( . Can anything be done to stop this, or fix it? :huh: Thanks in advance for any help. :rolleyes:

Mark McDermott

79 Deville 84,000

97 Deville 279,000 :yupi3ti:

I have the same problem with my aluminum rims. My tire guy told me that the rims are chromed on the front only and they a prone to this. He says he sees it quite often on Cadillac rims like this. A good cleaning and a clear coat may keep them from peeling any farther. I figure the only way to fix it would be to have them rechromed.

The service manual does have a proceedure to fix the problem. Basicaly it is to refinish the wheel. I would think a fine sanding and a clear coat finish should help unless you want to take them in and have them professionally done.

Do you mean the chrome itself is peeling?

On my chrome STS wheels, the inside of the spokes are painted to look like a rough finish and that can peel, but underneath it is chrome, so I stripped all the paint off and have ALL chrome wheels. Don't know it the Deville wheels are the same.

MARK 99STS

TURBOCHARGED

My wheels are aluminum. The clear coat on top, I guess, is what is peeling off. Also, the center caps were the first to change appearance; as they have a crackle/sparkle look which is different from the main wheel.

Mark McDermott

79 Deville 84,000

97 Deville 279,000 :yupi3ti:

Yes, it's the clearcoat that is peeling on your wheels, AtlantaMc. You can have them refinished probably. I'm not sure what to tell you to do in order to stop the peeling.

Jason(2001 STS, White Diamond)

"When you turn your car on...does it return the favor?"

Archived