CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Just a thought?>

JIMDTS

Since some of the northstars carbon up and doing some WOT and driving it hard seems to burn of and blow out the carbon.I have been using regular gas,One some of the gas brands(mobil)is supposed to have more degergents in the goasoline in there premium grade gas.I wonder would running premium help clean up some of the carbon over the regular gas. Just a thought. I have been thinking of using premium for a couple tanks and seeing if this helps along with some WOT's..Any thoughts on this??

Cheers

Jim

Well, FWIW I used to burn premium as recommended and still had an "occasional" cold carbon rap. Now at the time I rarely gave it any WOT. Now I burn regular with an occasional WOT. So far so good.

Detergents in fuel are ok but too much of a good thing, while it might clean your carbon out, might also foul your plugs. Too many additives in fuel is responsible for plugs getting easily fouled.

It's a tight rope walk.

If you really want to make people safe drivers again then simply remove all the safety features from cars. No more seat belts, ABS brakes, traction control, air bags or stability control. No more anything. You'll see how quickly people will slow down and once again learn to drive like "normal" humans.

Chevron tends to put more additive in their gasoline where I work. They inject nearly double the required minimum amount mandated by the government. Their additive is Techron. I blend 4 different kinds of gasoline where I work. BP/Amoco, Chevron, Exxon/Mobil, and Marathon/Speedway are all made from the same "base gasoline". Marathon/Speedway has recently returned to the Techron additive system for ALL of their gasoline...clear up into Michigan.

The "purpose" of detergent gasoline is to reduce Intake Valve Deposits. The government mandates a certain minimum amount, and I have to sign an IVD report each month attesting to the fact that the correct amount of detergent was injected into the gas stream.

The amounts are rather small, amounting to only several cc's per gallon, but the "real" stuff is very concentrated. You cannot buy the real additives off the shelf. The additive you buy at a car parts store usually contain large amounts of solvent to make sure you don't go overboard on the actual additive. It's the solvent that can be most harmful in large amounts.

I suppose that the detergents may have some effect on combustion chamber deposits, but that is not their prime function. And Marika is correct to say that too much may be harmful. The material is hydrocarbon based and since it is highly concentrated, is about like motor oil in consistancy. When it "drys out" on a rag or something, it gets very sticky.

It is definitely a tightrope. Now to the point, premium gas does normally contain more additive than regular. ALL marketers have two or more rates that depend on the grade of gas being distributed. You SHOULD buy the grade of gasoline recommended for your engine by the manufacturer. That grade will give you the best performance, fuel efficiency, and economy for that engine. Fact is, the WOT manuever will more than likely have more effect on carbon buildup problem than the octane rating will.

Never underestimate the amount of a persons greed.

Johnny G - Is Marathon and Speedway the same grade of gasoline. My 93 Eldo get very good gas mileage on the 87 octane Marathon, 25-27 highway. I stayed away from Speedway thinking that it was a cheaper brand of gas.

The base gasolines are identical. The base gasolines are responsible for the Octane levels, Cleanliness, Driveability Index, Corrosivity Index, BTU content/gal., Sulfur content, distillation end point, etc. These, and other properties are determined at the refinery. The differences come in afterwards, the additive packages, the handling, and the care used in delivery and the care of the storage tanks at the individual stations. I can assure you that Marathon and Speedway are both highly commited to deliver the highest quality of gasoline to the public. All companies are commited to quality, but I can attest to the fact that these two retailers take many EXTRA steps to deliver the best gas and other fuels (like diesel) possible.

Never underestimate the amount of a persons greed.

Archived