CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Brake Pads

I put the Bendix Titanium on my '99 STS....fronts only. I like them a lot so far. Very little dirt (brake dust) no squeeking or squeeling, excellent stopping power. smooth stops. The kit came with all the parts for the brake sensors, which you WILL need if your car is so equipped. It was a very easy job. Did NOT have the rotors turned (60,000 miles right now). DID break them in according to the most recent posted info. I think the process is technically called burnishing. This is the first time I ever burnished a set of pads, the only info I had prior to this was to use them gently for the first 500 miles.......WRONG. Did the "trickle down" brake fluid change too; that is, I let gravity do the work.

Never underestimate the amount of a persons greed.

I can fully recommend Raybestos Quiet Stop cermic pads, and their Brute Stop Drilled and Slotted rotors. Both are perfect for street use. The pads are very low dusting, to keep your wheels looking good.

As for break-in Cadillac, recommends to come to 20 near stops from about 30 MPH. Those are not slamming on the brakes as hard as you can stops, but firmly.

After using these on three vehicles, my advice is just to break them in by normal driving; commute driving might just be perfect for break-in.

Hard aggressive break-in will do a poor job and likely cause early warp problems. The ABS can really put a strain on them.

-George

Drive'em like you own 'em. - ....................04 DTS............................

DTS_Signature.jpg

I can fully recommend Raybestos Quiet Stop cermic pads, and their Brute Stop Drilled and Slotted rotors. Both are perfect for street use. ...As for break-in Cadillac, recommends to come to 20 near stops from about 30 MPH. Those are not slamming on the brakes as hard as you can stops, but firmly.

...my advice is just to break them in by normal driving; commute driving might just be perfect for break-in.

Hard aggressive break-in will do a poor job and likely cause early warp problems. The ABS can really put a strain on them.

-George

Does everyone agree?

I have Bendix HD pads on the front of my Cadillac. While I'm overall satisfied with the performance of them, I plan to put on Raybestos Quiet Stop pads next time. My Bendix pads seem to be a hard pad...meaning they don't quite stop as well as the pads that were on there. But on the other hand, they've been on for 60,000 miles now, with plenty of material left. Pick your compromise!

I'm going with Raybestos next.

Jason(2001 STS, White Diamond)

"When you turn your car on...does it return the favor?"

I am surprised that no one has used AC Delco pads to this point. I have been told that using AC Delco pads is the only way to ensure that you don't have squeeling, etc... Do you all think that the OEM pads give off too much dust?

I am surprised that no one has used AC Delco pads to this point.  I have been told that using AC Delco pads is the only way to ensure that you don't have squeeling, etc...  Do you all think that the OEM pads give off too much dust?

Here is a user of OEM pads and I am happy with the compromise.

The braking effort is sufficient to initiate ABS on dry pavement.

They might be dustier than some aftermarket pads, but I can keep the wheels clean easily enough.

And speaking of dusty pads, anyone else noticing the nasty dirty front wheels on newer FOMOCO truck based SUVs? Now THERE is a dusty OEM pad material (or lazy owners)!

Jim

Drive your car.

Use your cell phone.

CHOOSE ONE !

I've been happy with AC-Delco pads in the past. And in fact, AC-Delco DOES offer a ceramic pad for our cars. I think the price is comparable, if you go through someone like gmpartsdirect.com. I'm sure they'd work as well as the Raybestos, and I may just end up with them whenever I do mine.

I don't think I'd use OE pads on our Grand Caravan whenever it needs brakes next. Those things are the heaviest dusting pads I've come across. I guess the compromise there is the braking performance is incredible. It just has a simple front disc/rear drum braking system, but it stops RIGHT NOW. I've never even engaged the ABS, except for on ice this winter. I have a bad taste in my mouth about the Diamler pads because the original owner left the brake dust to cake in the corners of the front hubcaps. But I wash my vehicles at least once a week, so after JimD pointed out that it's easy enough to keep the wheels clean, excessive brake dust might not be such a bad thing, if you get RIGHT NOW stopping in return.

Jason(2001 STS, White Diamond)

"When you turn your car on...does it return the favor?"

Archived