CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

'94 deville brake noise, pulsate, under 5mph

stevel2

This problem is on and off, not sure if warming/driving the car awhile will start it as it did today. Sometimes you drive the car and nothing is wrong. I brake to slow the vehicle at a red light for talk, the pedal is fine until 5MPH and below, this is where the pedal makes a clunk/buzzing noise(like a rrrrrr noise) and pushes the pedal up and down a little (feels like something is literally grabbing the brake pedal and moving it) and the brake actually feels more solid after it does this routine, if that matters.(compared to when it doesn't do it) I think you can hear the NOISE outside the vehicle as I've had people look at me and stare at crosswalks.

Brake observation:

-pads thick in front all 4 sides

-pads in back seem uneven, thick on passenger rear, and slim on driver rear and the outer seems thicker than the inner pad on that side too. Cylinder full, no leaks, booster checks okay, no lights or codes thrown.

side note: I jackstand the entire back, spun the rotors by hand(smoothed a little with emery cloth too) and had a helper push the pedal, both sides stopped immediatly and looked like all pads were pressing correctly except for the emergency brake, this only stopped the passenger wheel not the drivers side, as the wheel still moves when turned by hand(with emerg. brake engaged), is that normal?(no right)

I did notice the driver back rotor was hard to turn by hand when part of it reach the pads, the passenger side turned smoothly, is disc runout my problem 100%?

I had nothing done to any of this system since i bought the car march 1, 05, and it just started this routine a week ago. The car appeared like it was sitting or something before purchasing(before the dealer got it), the trans fluid was nasty too.(replaced)

Your discription kind of sounds like the ABS activating. The pulsation in the pedal is what make me think that (if I am understanding your dsicription correctly). If my assumption is correct, then I would look for a bad sensor.

On your brake observation, thinner inner pads usually indicate a caliper hanging up. The unevenness of left to right rear might indicate a parking brake cable hanging up causing a draging brake.

Steve,

The first thing that I would check would be the lubrication on the caliper slides. I had a similar situation, good pads, smooth rotors, & a pulsating pedal. (No noise though). I decided to surface the rotors & replaced the pads, removed, cleaned lubricated & reinstalled the brake caliper pins & bushings. Problem solved. (The bushings WERE STUCK! :o

On your rear brakes. Uneven wear from one side to the other is not good. You need to find out what is going on. Possibly a binding caliper, pinched brake line. Stuck piston. Etc. The noise that you and pedestrians are hearing is probably one or more calipers vibrating.

Good Luck,

Britt

Britt

I would take off the rear driver side caliper and inspect it. The caliper pins ( as perhaps the piston itself) and bushings seem to be bad and your ABS acts because of that particular brake mulfunction.

The saddest thing in life is wasted talent

Archived