CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

94 Seville over heating

cobrak69

I have a 94 Seville SLS 4.6 North Star that had a blown head gasket, so it sat for a year while I tried to find someone with a lift to drop the motor at a fair price. I found someone, bought the gaskets, bought the complete time sert kit for the stripped head bolts and we went to work. Keep in mind that before I sent this toi the shop I allready replaced radiator and water pump before I realized there was a head gasket problem a year ago. Once the head was off I had it decked and inspected for cracks and pulled a vacuum on them, and all was OK. now everything back to gether the car is running between 220 and 230 which is a little on the hot side if I remember correctly it only used to run at 195. I replaced the thermostat but still no luck in getting the temp down. Any ideas? I am hoping it is just an air pocket, but I don't see a check valve to burp the system anywhere. HELP!!!!

Please drop me a line at cobrak69@comcast.net if you have any ideas.

I have a 94 Seville SLS 4.6 North Star that had a blown head gasket, so it sat for a year while I tried to find someone with a lift to drop the motor at a fair price. I found someone, bought the gaskets, bought the complete time sert kit for the stripped head bolts and we went to work. Keep in mind that before I sent this toi the shop I allready replaced radiator and water pump before I realized there was a head gasket problem a year ago. Once the head was off I had it decked and inspected for cracks and pulled a vacuum on them, and all was OK. now everything back to gether the car is running between 220 and 230 which is a little on the hot side if I remember correctly it only used to run at 195. I replaced the thermostat but still no luck in getting the temp down. Any ideas? I am hoping it is just an air pocket, but I don't see a check valve to burp the system anywhere. HELP!!!!

Please drop me a line at cobrak69@comcast.net if you have any ideas.

Sounds normal to me. I wouldn't worry about it.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

I drained and filled my coolant this past fall. My temps were a bit on the high side for about 2 weeks until all the air was out of the system. I found myself topping off the coolant twice during that 2 week period. You probably just have air in the system like you suspect. The fan usually doesn't kick on until the temp hits 228° if that gives you a reference point.

"Burns" rubber

" I've never considered myself to be all that conservative, but it seems the more liberal some people get the more conservative I become. "

I'm sure you can find the reference in the archives...

Rev the engine to 3,k to 4,K to remove trapped air. If you have

already been driving it around, I would think the air should be

gone.

my .02

I read the manual and as Jim said revving the engine 5 times to 3000 RPM is the method to clear the trapped air... However, the manual also makes reference to an AIR PURGE on the thermostat housing that I can not find, anyone familiar with the AIR PURGE? Mike

I read the manual and as Jim said revving the engine 5 times to 3000 RPM is the method to clear the trapped air... However, the manual also makes reference to an AIR PURGE on the thermostat housing that I can not find, anyone familiar with the AIR PURGE? Mike

I think it's the hose that runs from the thermostat housing to the surge tank. That is the purge line and should squirt coolant out at idle if you disconnect it.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

I read the manual and as Jim said revving the engine 5 times to 3000 RPM is the method to clear the trapped air...  However, the manual also makes reference to an AIR PURGE on the thermostat housing that I can not find, anyone familiar with the AIR PURGE?  Mike

I think it's the hose that runs from the thermostat housing to the surge tank. That is the purge line and should squirt coolant out at idle if you disconnect it.

Thanks Kevin, that is what I needed.. I will scan an post the directions from the manual after lunch.

I have to go out and look again all I saw was a 5/8" (approx) by-pass hose at about 2 o'clock, is that it, it appears to go to the rear of the engine after connecting to a pipe. I plan to replace that by-pass hose before the warm weather. I don't think that's the purge line...

Well, I would assume the '96 & '97 are identical so I would say yes. If you can't find it in the manual, follow it back from the surge tank. It should run from the bottom of the surge tank up along the right bank cam cover (under the silver beauty cover), then into the pump housing.

Well, I would assume the '96 & '97 are identical so I would say yes. If you can't find it in the manual, follow it back from the surge tank. It should run from the bottom of the surge tank up along the right bank cam cover (under the silver beauty cover), then into the pump housing.

Thanks Larry, I will look for it

Archived