CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Courtesy lamps. 1997 Deville

Hi All. Last year my courtesy lamps quit working on my 97 Deville. 

At first they intermittently would not work, then just quit altogether.

This includes all interior lamps, map lights, visors,  trunk light, And I believe the switches.

I thought it might be a fuse but have not found one tied to them. All I can see is that it is fed from the cluster. (ground I assume).

I would like to get them working before I start driving it again.

It bears mentioning that I swapped most of the interior bulbs for Led bulbs a few years back and although I love them a few were starting to fail(intermittently flicker) I wonder if one of them shorted but without the circuit working I have no way to know which one without taking them apart one at a time.

Thanks all

GM FAN FOREVER

Nice, clean, luxury= fine automobile

Check the rap relay connection in the engine compartment drivers side under the black box ... possible corrosion.

I found that the fuse for the lamps is under the hood top row, center fuse. Controls the Homelink as well.

I will have to check the fuse when I get back to the car

GM FAN FOREVER

Update,

I checked the Interior lamps fuse. Was not blown. No real corrosion present. I did not have my test light to verify power through it though.

I see a small orange wire that comes out of the back and looks to go toward the dash from under the hood.

I did play with the relays in the underhood center and it made no difference.

GM FAN FOREVER

• 3 weeks later...

Well today I had a few moments to look at it.

I could not find a RAP relay. Closest thing I could think was Accessory or Inadvertent power

I did find the inadvertent power relay that sits by itself corroded though. 

It is also noted that the Homelink and Cigar lighters are not working as well. So that does lead to a circuit issue rather than just the lamps.

Update. I broke out the FSM tonight and verified the circuit is Inadvertent power relay. I have my multimeter for tomorrow to hope to look at it again. I could not find one of those relays in my stash though. I think I have one elsewhere

cadillac-eldoroado-fuse-box-diagram-maxi

0417201147.jpg

GM FAN FOREVER

Yay. the relay is bad. I actually ordered it last night. was nice to see domelamps working.

Downside is that car may not be driven this year, The DMV has been closed for weeks and I  have to assume they will be crazy packed when they finally open again. At our rate maybe another month...

GM FAN FOREVER

• 3 weeks later...

Brought my car home last night. So happy to have working domelights again. I swapped out any of the bad/ flickering led bulbs.

So on a side note, I bought this car to be my DD.

I had replaced my 96 Deville with a Nissan Altima 5 speed manual. Figured I would use the Altima as a winter car and my Seville as a summer car.

Well I needed a Deville again, So that is when I rescued this one. Only problem was  I could not part with the Altima. The Altima was the best and most reliable. It has 235k miles on it and was near perfect. 

So I have been parking the Deville for the last few winters while I kept the Altima. Well now it will be the DD as I decided to entertain selling my Altima. It sold within 12 hours of being listed and to the first person that looked at it. Did I mention I am meticulous. Although I was sad to see it go I will now be driving the Deville year round and it will be kind of nice not floating 3 cars around lol.

I just have to wait for the DMV to open so I can start driving it again. 

GM FAN FOREVER