CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Sry, my CTS is afk

Was listening to one of the cds that came with the CTS to explain different features this morning (rtfm). Turns out the car has its own cell number, and was willing to tell me what it was if I asked. Go figure.

I had already played with the phone and learned how to do the voice dialing, store a number, etc. But now the family can call me if I forget my pocket phone, which happens. Comes with 30min of prepaid minutes. Toys are fun to play with.

I had tried to check local calling on my 2004 but it said "that service not available" or similar. So this seems to be an improved approach.

For the car phone, I press a button on the steering wheel, and the cd/radio mutes. A voice says 'Onstar ready'. I say "dial", then the number, or say a pre-recorded nametag, like "Home". The phone sound comes over the car speakers. Automatic speaker phone, like it or not I guess, but hands free at least.

Came with 30min of talk time; wonder how much more minutes is, but can use the phone to order them lol.

Bruce

2023 Cadillac CT4-V Blackwing

Follow me on: Twitter Instagram Youtube

You know Bruce, for traveling business execs like my wife that spend a lot of time behind the wheel and on the phone for meetings and such, that would be a real handy setup. We’re shopping around for the next business lease vehicle for her, so I cut and pasted your post and sent it to her, (She’s on the road as I type). If she isn’t already familiar with those features, I’m sure she’d like to be.

Thanks for the tips. ;)

'93 STS.. opened, dropped, wide...fast.

user posted image

My mother's SUX, I mean SRX, (family name for the car having nothing to do with how the car has performed) has the same setup. She loves burning up her cell minutes so much, my father had to order more minutes in the first week they had the car.

The only trouble we have had with it so far is the phone system not recognizing commands from different peoples voices. My father had voice programmed the whole system and it recognized his commands fine, but when my mother tried it, the system wouldn't recognize some commands. Specifically, when she tried to voice dial a number instead of a command.

Example: When she says "Call" and then it asks for the nametag "Home" works fine. But when she says "Dial" and then it asks for the number, the system wouldn't recognize the number "2". There are just some little things like that that occur with the system. Overall it has worked very well.

But I would suggest for the future if possible that GM refine the system to avoid these discrepancies. If it is technologically possible at this point.

Brad

----------------------------

1999 Deville Concours [sOLD]

Blk/Blk w/gold package

Would make sense if Cadillac made a car that recognized the driver by the key. So two drivers could use the system... of course both drivers would need to setup the voice recognition.

Would make sense if Cadillac made a car that recognized the driver by the key. So two drivers could use the system... of course both drivers would need to setup the voice recognition.

Took the words right outta my mouth! :P

Crystal Red Tintcoat Exterior | Shale/Brownstone Interior | 32k

I had a problem at first when I said DIAL, it waited for the number, and I said 9 then paused. It said error or words to that effect. The problem was it was waiting for the whole number, (xxx)xxx-xxxx, all 10 or 11 digits. When I said the whole string WITHOUT pauses it repeats back the number perfectly, then dials it.

A nice feature I noticed when playing with it more is that it also will "mute" the A/C sound (cut the fan speed).

Features I would like to see:

1) incoming cell phone SMS messages that could appear on the info center

2) the ability to show missed calls on the info center after you return to the car

3) caller ID on the info center when you receive calls. Right now, when the car rings it shows "Phone" on the info center.

Bruce

2023 Cadillac CT4-V Blackwing

Follow me on: Twitter Instagram Youtube

I just have to mention the fact of how amazingly far the evolution of car manufacturing has come. Every car I grew up in or around had bench seats and roll down windows, not to mention the strangle hold shoulder belts that were mounted to the ceiling that nobody used! LOL

Now we not only have power everything, we can watch DVD's and TV, talk on phones, etc...etc.....

I can remember when just having a tape player was sooooooooo cool and I am sure that the older members here can attest that they never thought they would see a TV screen in a car or even seat belts in some cases!

Truly amazing what is possible these days. Any episode of Pimp My Ride or Overhaulin' illustrates that.

And I love it!

Brad

----------------------------

1999 Deville Concours [sOLD]

Blk/Blk w/gold package

Bruce, (et all) just got an e-mail back from her after cut and pasting your experiences...A quote:

>"We should really check out the CTS as a possible lease for a couple of years!!"<

Hmmm... ;)

'93 STS.. opened, dropped, wide...fast.

user posted image

You know Bruce, for traveling business execs like my wife that spend a lot of time behind the wheel and on the phone for meetings and such, that would be a real handy setup. We’re shopping around for the next business lease vehicle for her, so I cut and pasted your post and sent it to her, (She’s on the road as I type). If she isn’t already familiar with those features, I’m sure she’d like to be.

Thanks for the tips. ;)

Ohhhh I like that! Could this be.... a SELF SERVING tip? :lol:

Very true, I mean, you really don't want the car to recognize everyone's voice. I think that it will be improved by allowing additional drivers program the system, its probably just a memory issue, I am almost positive it can be done. Given the cost of memory, providing the capability for additional drivers could increase the cost day one. But it would be smart if they allowed the system to be upgraded with addtional memory if you wanted additional drivers to be recogized.

A great alternative for cars not equipped with a phone or On-Star is Motorola's pro-install hands free system. In my STS, I mounted the system's speaker inside the ash tray and placed the microphone in a carefully drilled hole in the removeable panel above the RDS radio. I do not have any problems hearing or being understood during phone calls and the look of the install is professional. The system can be wired in a manner so that it will auto-mute the radio just like the factory car phone units. It can also be used with any Motorola phone regardless of wireless carrier. The wiring and junction boxes installed in my car are from three cell phones ago - the only part that requires changing is a phone specific cradle that plugs into both the data/charger port and the antenna port. I get in the car, place my phone in its cradle mounted next to the radio, and voila - hands free. Same phone bill, same phone number, safe driving.

The newer Motorola phones feature the ObeyMeMoto voice command system - I have the Motorola v265, which I am extremely happy with coming from the t720 and a Sanyo 8100. I can dial contacts, new numbers, and even take digital pictures on voice command. The phone requires no training and the voice command features work perfectly out of the box. When the phone is plugged into its cradle I can issue commands at the touch of a button without even flipping the phone open. Even if I skip the voice commands, this phone can be set to say the names of your contacts as you scroll through your phonebook and say the numbers as you dial. If I press 5, when this feature is turned on I will hear "Five" from the speaker - keeping my eyes on the road and using my hearing and touch to dial.

I agree that the automatic sound muting, voice out the speakers and mic pickup are nice touchs.

The major problem with a phone wired to a given car is the non-potability.

Therefore, I would prefer if auto makers simply adopted the "Bluetoooth" standard that a number of phones are now equipped. The car and phone would auto-link when near each other and each equipment's resources can be shared to the greatest advantages.

For examples:

My BlackBerry 7100t's database would synch with the car and be used to show addresses and driving direction on the car's nav screen.

The cars fuel used etc and other expenses would synch up and go into my expense database.

The satellite radio should also be capable of being switched to another provider. Additionally, the sat radios should be able to transfer subscriptions to another device, and still only allow one to be on line.

IMHO

Add power to leave problems behind. Most braking is just - poor planning.

TDK, as more and more phones come equipped with bluetooth technology more of this will be possible. It's coming soon and it's pretty exciting. The only problem is that such a system could only be available in a new vehicle. It makes more sense to spend a couple hundred dollars on a phone and the necessary equipment for a hands-free integration.

I'm sure it would be possible and even relatively inexpensive to install a bluetooth kit that allows for hands-free operation of the phone only, but to have the system so tightly integrated into the vehicle just isn't going to happen unless it's from the manufacturer. The effect would be exactly the same as the hands-free kit I described - the only extra convenience offered is not having the place the phone anywhere besides your pocket.

It's a great idea, but I think it is something that will take some time to catch on with auto manufacturers in the creativity department.

Regarding cellphone integration:

Perhaps the best way to accomplish the overall objective is to come up with a universal consumer-interface to a cars electronic buss. I'm certain that vehicles can protect their proprietary critical systems, but let the rest of it get opened up.

After all, its your car right? Or are we just licensing the product until it hits the junkyard?

Waiting and expecting GM, Ford, Chrysler etc to agree on such an interface is probably 180-degrees opposed - to how they want to market their own gimmicks.

How about some hot-shot Senator crank up that law in Congress and then see how many car makers lobby against it. And against who - the rest of us and the entertainment, telecommunications and computer industries combined ? ;)

Then, let the free-market determine the various devices that consumers will tie onto their vehicles. :rolleyes:

Keep in mind that we keep cars much longer than other consumer electronics and whatever is developed by car makers - is almost obsolete by the time it is sold.

Again IMHO :)

Add power to leave problems behind. Most braking is just - poor planning.

Archived