CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Transmission Fluid Life Monitor

Hud

On this board, there have been many discussions about changing engine oil using the Oil Life Monitor vs. 3K mile change. Has the Transmission Fluid Life Monitor ever been discussed? My car (02 DTS) had 30K on it and the Monitor reads 99% life remaining on the fluid. At that rate, I should never have to change it. It seems it should be less than 99% having driven 30K????

The trans oil life monitor works in a similar way to the engine oil life monitor. Most cars won't need to change the trans. fluid over the life of the vehicle unless they tow trailers, etc. in extreme climates.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

I think the tranny fluid monitor looks at the same sort of things the oil life monitor does -- throttle angles (heavy load), measured or inferenced oil temperatures, etc. My' 97 with 143,000 miles still has the original transmission fluid...still dark red...but I plan to change soon. The manual indicates the tranny fluid should never need changing under normal conditions.

Jason(2001 STS, White Diamond)

"When you turn your car on...does it return the favor?"

I could be wrong but I thought the trans fluid indicator simply looked at fluid tempurature since that is the only thing that will deteriorate it.

Archived