CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

93 Seville 4.9L Calls for Platnum Plugs

Matt

On my 93 Seville , 4.9L does it call for Platnum plugs or can you use regular AcDelco?? They were done not to long ago but I want new ones again so "I" know what is in there.

Unfortunately I can not trust the last owner of the car. I have no idea what he has done, weather or not he has taken it to be serviced or did it himself. But It is a good idea to pull one and see if there are platnums in there. If so I'm set as you say. If there are regular plugs I will change them. THANKS.

At least I was told the truth and the receipt matches the plugs. The plugs are standard but new. I'm not happy with Autolite though. I still want platnums in there though,but no rush. These are 3 months old and look like they are burning very nice. I pulled two from front and one from firewall side.

Matt, if they're running fine as-is, I'd just go ahead and use them as you plan to do. Maybe if you get an itch later on in the summer, fire some AC-Delco dual-platinums at it. You'll never have to change them ever again!

Jason(2001 STS, White Diamond)

"When you turn your car on...does it return the favor?"

Matt,

Just be sure to buy Delco, or the new NKG plug that Cadillac is reportedly using, (I forgot where I read that).

I had a set of Bosch Platinums with 2 ground electrodes. The car developed a dead miss. Upon removal I was shocked to find that the center electrode had broken off in one of the plugs. The only thing that saved the day was that the ground electrodes kept the broken off porcelain from falling into the combustion chamber! :o I put in a new set of AC platinums and I believe that they are there for the duration. :)

Britt

Britt

Very good info guys. Thanks a lot. I will stay as is for a bit and put in platnums down the road. Now how do we get the weather to change? We had more snow last night and the roads are a mess. I just came in from cleaning her up again. I need to figure out how I'm gona get her home tonight nice and clean. It's funny, I pick my route according to road conditions in order to keep away from the mess. Later....

Very good info guys. Thanks a lot. I will stay as is for a bit and put in platnums down the road. Now how do we get the weather to change? We had more snow last night and the roads are a mess. I just came in from cleaning her up again. I need to figure out how I'm gona get her home tonight nice and clean. It's funny, I pick my route according to road conditions in order to keep away from the mess. Later....

Matt,

When you do replace them plan on 4-5 hours of cursing, swearing and crying. One of the first things I did on my 90.5 Allante was upgrade the plugs to dual platinum. Trust me, once you have done this job you will not want to do it again. The 4 in front are a challenge the four up against the firewall are nearly impossible... When I was done my hands looked I had spent the morning juggling kittens... ;)

I hope you find more room under the hood of your Seville.

Good Luck!

caddy.jpg

Easin' down the highway in a new Cadillac,

I had a fine fox in front, I had three more in the back

ZZTOP, I'm Bad I'm Nationwide

Greg

Matt,

When you do replace them plan on 4-5 hours of cursing, swearing and crying. One of the first things I did on my 90.5 Allante was upgrade the plugs to dual platinum. Trust me, once you have done this job you will not want to do it again. The 4 in front are a challenge the four up against the firewall are nearly impossible... When I was done my hands looked I had spent the morning juggling kittens... 

I hope you find more room under the hood of your Seville.

Good Luck!

:lol: Well, it took less than 2 hours, but tons of cursing and scratches...

Neighbor's kids had a lot of fun watching me in all kind of funny positions I took on the engine... kind of kamasutra. Twist the boots back and forth really good before pulling them. Rear plugs are not that bad just do not be shy lay on the engine. :D Cover the new plugs with dielectric grease, you can buy it from any parts store for $1.

The saddest thing in life is wasted talent

Matt,

Wow, Talk about a Painful memory. :o

When I went to chane the plugs on my 1988 Seville, I ended up changing three of the plugs from below, over the transmission. If the engineers at Cadillac ever turn into what I called them that day, they would have burnt a hole straight to the center of the earth! :lol:

I hope that the 93 has more room than the 88 did.

If I remember correctly the plugs that were spec for the 88 4.5 had a special coating to prevent the boots from adhearing to the insulators. I'm pretty sure that a dielectric grease such as Dow 4 would work the same.

I'll second the idea of getting the double Platinum plugs, because once you change them, you will never want to do it again! <_<

Speaking of Dow 4, Champion aircraft oil filters specify coating the filter gasket with a small amout of Dow 4 to prevent the gasket sticking to the filter base. I have had oil filters stick so badly that I tore the can off it's base tying to loosen the filter. After the filter was ripped off, I have always been able to use a large pair of channel lock pliers to remove the filter's base plate. I have never had one stick when using Dow 4. Since I have had good luck on aircraft filters with Dow 4, I now use it on all my ground vehicles as well.

Good Luck with your plug change.

Britt

Britt

Well guys I have to tell ya I am laughing now but I know your all right. I'm sure changing those plugs will not be fun, but wait till ya here this--- I plan on putting on new wires too. I wish ya all new that before hand so I could have read your comments about that. It's 9:15 PM North Jersey time and I just sat down to relax when I found all your comments. Even though they are not what I want to hear you all made me feel better knowing we all have to go through the same thing. I will be thinking of you all when I install the " Platnum Plugs". Yes, once will be enough sso platnum it will be!! I have the blankets all ready to cover the fenders and grill, I figure I will be one with the engine for a wile. LOL . I have a post to make about something that happend to the engine on my way home from work tonight. I need to figure out what some things are called before hand though so i can explain what I did to fix it. So look for a new topic from me soon. If I get some energy I will go out to the play room and pop the hood tonight still so I can make the post. Later....

Matt,

You can get ACDelco wire set at rockauto.com. for $43.79 or at gmpartsdirect.com for $34.38 rockauto.com ships faster.

The saddest thing in life is wasted talent

Suggestion: To save the palms and back of your hands take a pair of cloth gloves and cut the fingers off. This will protect your hands and still give you the flexibility you need for the fingers . . . plus saving your sanity ! !

JackH

Archived