CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Water pump part #

terrylange

I am trying to order an OEM water pump for my '97 Deville (Northstar). The part number that Rock Auto gives, (AC Delco Part #252707) is not recognized when I try to enter that number in gmpartsdirect. Does anyone have the correct number? I have had a small coolant leak for a few weeks that I have been unable to locate. This morning, I put my hand down under the lowest part of the water pump and felt the leak originating in that area. The pump was replaced once at 94K and the car now has 161K on it. I assume that replacing the pump again would be the likely solution.

Terry, see if you can look up under the car from underneath. You could then determine which seal is bad. The cover gasket would produce a drip or dampness only at the mating joint of the cover and the housing. The actual water pump o-ring seal would produce a leak near the water pump pulley bearing, and it would run down the short length of the water pump housing and collect at the bottom (where you felt the coolant). Either way, I believe I'd just replace the seal that you determine to be bad.

Jason(2001 STS, White Diamond)

"When you turn your car on...does it return the favor?"

Thanks for the advice, guys! I have had the car up on ramps 4 times over the last two weeks trying to determine the origin of the leak. The coolant is dripping onto and running down one of the wiring harness looms towards the driver's side of the motor, and then settles in the engine crossmember. I have checked all the hose connections and rad tanks, and haven't found any moisture. Earlier this week, I took the water pump belt cover off, and couldn't find any sign of a leak once the water pump was more visible to the eye. It was only this morning when I got my hand under the pump (up to my elbow), that I located some moisture. Not sure that by just blindly feeling around, I can diagnose exactly where on the pump the leak is coming from. Looking from underneath the car, I can't even see the water pump, even with all the plastic splash pans removed. I think I will go with a pump cover gasket next week and see if that works.

• 4 weeks later...

Finally got around to trying to repair the leak this past Saturday. Took the path of least resistance and replaced the water pump cover gasket. Easy job, took about an hour. As usual, the easy way out is seldom the correct fix. I noticed a small pool of coolant under the car again at work today at the end of the day. (Maybe an old pool from before the fix?) If the problem is really the water pump o-ring seal, I assume the whole pump has to be replaced. I have seen some horror stories on replacing water pumps on this web site, but not sure if they were referring to North stars. Aside from special tools, is this too big a job for a DIYS'er? I don't have a lot of patience or expertise for day long projects, but hate to throw money away if it is an easy job. I am taking an 800 mile round trip this weekend, and don't know whether continuing to top off the coolant reservoir once a week will get me through this until I have time to get a water pump, or if this is a critical situation that I should take to the dealer before I make the road trip. Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Finally got around to trying to repair the leak this past Saturday. Took the path of least resistance and replaced the water pump cover gasket. Easy job, took about an hour. As usual, the easy way out is seldom the correct fix. I noticed a small pool of coolant under the car again at work today at the end of the day. (Maybe an old pool from before the fix?) If the problem is really the water pump o-ring seal, I assume the whole pump has to be replaced. I have seen some horror stories on replacing water pumps on this web site, but not sure if they were referring to North stars. Aside from special tools, is this too big a job for a DIYS'er? I don't have a lot of patience or expertise for day long projects, but hate to throw money away if it is an easy job. I am taking an 800 mile round trip this weekend, and don't know whether continuing to top off the coolant reservoir once a week will get me through this until I have time to get a water pump, or if this is a critical situation that I should take to the dealer before I make the road trip. Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Replacing the water pump on the Northstar is a fairly easy job but you must have the waterpump removal tool. Turn clockwise to remove the pump and counterclockwise to install the new pump.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

It is definately not a day long project. An hour or two maybe. If it is just a minor leak or seepage, I would think you can easily let it go til it is convenient. Just carry some 50/50 mix coolant with you.

Removed the air filter box from the car today, allowing me to feel around under the water pump. No sign of any moisture. After laying under the car again for an hour this evening, found the coolant "drips" on the bottom of the A/C compressor, and on the aluminum lines in front of the oil filter. Both are on the opposite side of the engine from the water pump. Wiped both areas clean, and there is no sign of a continuing leak. Will leave the car up on ramps overnight and will have another look in the morning before leaving for work. Spoke with a Cadillac mechanic (not a dealership) today and booked it in for a water pump tomorrow morning, but don't want to throw money away if this is not the actual problem. He told me he wouldn't replace the pump if that was not the problem. Hate to pay someone to diagnose the source of a coolant leak when I should be able to do that myself!

Archived