CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Code P0404

Stan S

On my 99 Concours I've been getting a Service Engine Soon light along with a Code P0404 History. Service manual says P0404 is EGR Open Position Performance. I removed the EGR and cleaned it as per Guru's instructions using carb cleaner. However after cleaning the pintle still seems to stick in the "closed" position. I reinstalled the EGR valve but the light comes back on after 20-30 mi. I don't understand why the code always comes up "history" instead of "current". I've checked the codes with the engine stopped as well as running. Thanks, Stan

Not sure why the code is history instead of current bit the pintle should operate freely. It should not stick at all. I suspect it may come back as current after a while. I'd clean it again til it does not stick.

Cleaning can help and you should try that first. However, if it doesnt work then you have to replace the EGR valve.

About 20-25% do not respond to cleaning, something else is wrong.

I'm not sure why the code appears as HISTORY either. I would get this code every now and then, driving down the highway. The SES light would come up, and I'd immediately go into the OBD system to see if it was indeed P0404, as it usually is (was). Sure enough, it's P0404 HISTORY. If I cleared the PCM codes, it would usually not reappear for the rest of the trip. For some reason, mine would only appear after stopping on a highway trip (maybe the added heat would "glue" the EGR valve closed), and for some reason, I haven't received the code in at least 6 months probably. Cleaning my EGR valve seemed to help a little, but not much. It's just a nuisance really.

Jason(2001 STS, White Diamond)

"When you turn your car on...does it return the favor?"

Thanks for the replies. I've pulled the codes while driving down the highway with the SES light on and it always comes up history (P0404) instead of current. Jason, I can clear the code but it will come back after driving about 10-20 mi. I'm going to clean the EGR again to see if I can get it to stop sticking closed. If that don't work I'll probably drive it awhile to see what happens before shelling out the $140 for a new EGR valve. Like you said the light is only a nuisance, but it freaks out my wife. She thinks the car is going to blow up anytime the SES light comes on! I still have about 4 months before my NC emissions inspection is due. Thanks again, Stan

I got the same code. When I played with the pindle, it would stick closed. Cleaning the outside of the EGR did not help. I used a 22 caliber rifle cleaning round steel brush and went in through the hole while the pindle was pressed in with the correct size T-wrench while turning the pindle against the brush, I did not use solvent, and cleaned the crap of out it for about 45 minutes, tapped out the dust and dirt and when I was done the pindle no longer stuck, it was smooth... I also put the brush in along side of the pindle and cleaning the 'frame' seat. Try finding a small brush and really get at it, a small piece of carbon can hang it up... Mike

post-3-1110727981_thumb.jpg

Archived