CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Rotors/Brakes

jtcaddy

Hello,

I was wondering what tools I need when changing the rotors and brakes on a 1999 cadillac seville sts. When i changed the brake pads only the rear ones gave me trouble and had to go to the dealer. In the rear i could not get it compressed again that is the caliper piston and dealer said it takes a special tool. So any help would be greatly appreciated again what tools do i need to change rotors and brake pads on a 1999 cadillac seville sts.

Thanks JAE THOMPSON :D

The special tool for the rear brakes is called a "brake cube" It is a cube with spanner pins on the faces. It attaches to a 3/8" extension bar. You screw in the rear pistons.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

Most people try to compress the plunger with a "C" clamp. This is WRONG.

As previously noted the plunger rotates on a threaded shaft. You will need to rotate the plunger several turns to get it to compress far enough so that there will be enough clearance for the new pads. The box cube is available at Auto zone for around $8. A pair of needle nose pliers should also work. As a last resort use a pair of channel lock pliers but be careful not to damage the plunger or the rubber boot.

Most people try to compress the plunger with a "C" clamp.  This is WRONG.

I don't know if this applies to a '99, but on the older design rear disc calipers, a C-clamp will work fine after unfastening the parking brake lever. This is the recommended service procedure for the first generation rear disc brake caliper.

Most people try to compress the plunger with a "C" clamp.  This is WRONG.

I don' know if this applies to a '99, but on the older design rear disc calipers, a C-clamp will work fine after unfastening the parking brake lever. This is the recommended service procedure for the first generation rear disc brake caliper.

When I changed the rear pads on my '96 SLS, I had to use a brake cube to screw in ther piston. That was after removing the cable bracket.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

I understand the rear discs which also act as the parking brake will have this threaded piston. However, I've heard that those rear disc braking systems that also have a small drum brake for the parking brake will have conventional caliper pistons. Any truth to that? Our rear discs act as service and parking brakes, so we have the threaded pistons.

Jason(2001 STS, White Diamond)

"When you turn your car on...does it return the favor?"

The older Corvettes had the miniature drum brakes inside the rear rotors for the parking brake. The pistons for the caliper had conventional pistons.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

I understand the rear discs which also act as the parking brake will have this threaded piston. However, I've heard that those rear disc braking systems that also have a small drum brake for the parking brake will have conventional caliper pistons. Any truth to that? Our rear discs act as service and parking brakes, so we have the threaded pistons.

My Impala SS has the small brake drum with small shoes in the center of the rear rotor.

Now I have question about the rear brakes on our cars. If the parking brake is used to push the piston out for parking brake application. If you don't use the parking brake will the pads and piston get to a point where they are ineffective during braking if the parking brake is not used? :unsure:

From what I am understanding here you need to screw the piston back into the caliper when you replace the pads with thicker pads, correct? Well if the piston doesn't screw out because you aren't using the parking brake it would seem logical to me that in time they would become useless, or less effective would be a better term as I know that the proportional valve is suppose to help in situation of imbalance between the front and back.

:blink:

Dennis

Dennis

Is the screwing in the rear piston unique to the caddy only or do other cars have that design?

Thanks

No it is not unique to Caddy or GM for that matter. The first time I encountered this was on my daughters '98 "snorus' as she calls it (Taurus). I tried the C clamp bit til I darn near broke something. Finally gave up, broke down and called a local dealer fully expecting him to tell me "bring it in". He didn't. He explained it and the light bulb went off immediatly and I felt like a darn fool. :rolleyes:

Archived