CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

RSS suspension position sensors

1994 SLS With NEW struts on all four corners. ($$$$) (& I bought them before there were passive struts avalible.) :angry:

Has anybody had any success in repairing the suspension position sensors? Both of my front sensors show show error codes. :(

The little buggers are EXPENSIVE!! :blink:

How about aftermarket? (Probably not likely)

I haven't removed them yet to look at taking them apart. I thought that I would ask if anybody had attempted this repair first.

Thanks,

Britt

Britt

I have not dealt with the strut actuators on a 94, but I have had experience with a cvrss setup. First things first, what are the error codes? Make sure that the codes are ctrually for the strut actuators. Second check the electrical connections and fuses.

If the actuators are indeed out. You may not have much luck trying to fix them in the strut. I have knowledge of one person who has had success in getting rid of the error messages by wiring a fuel injector in place of the strut actuator. My guess is that any inductive coil with adequate current carrying capibility will work.

There exist passive cadillac part numbers that should work in your front, delco 580-2 are for 94 devilles and such about $170 for a pair.

Good luck

Edited by maydog

A few years ago both my front position sensors failed. (a year apart).

S060 & S061 errors.

I took them apart and had no success in repairing them.

I developed a circuit to replace the sensors. Parts cost about $ 5.00

If you are interested, drop me an email and I'll send you the instructions.

It's been working for a few years now with no problems.

Barry

2008 STS V8
2016 Colorado Z71
1970 Corvette LT-1 Coupe

Barry,

I am interested in your circuit, I get a lot of requests from people with 93 - 95 caddies looking for ways to bypass the SRC message. I have only discussed the resistor for the CVRSS system and injectors for RSS systems.

If you have details, you can send them to me at maydog@hotmail.com and I will gladly host them at my website.

http://maydog.dyndns.org/www/struts/

Barry,

Please send me your repair information.

I too have the SO60 & 61 error codes. I'm a little frustrated as I spent big bucks on the strut replacements. As I said earlier, I bought them a while back. They have been sitting on the shelf until recently. I had a shop put them in as the car would need alignment afterwards. I can't recall if I had the SO60 & 61 error codes prior to the strut replacements or not. (I don't think that I did.) I have wondered if the mechanic hyperextedded the sensors when he replaced the struts. If so, that may have damaged them. It has been to much time since then to claim any damages, so I will have to bite the bullet on that account.

Do you recall what kind of mechanisim was inside the sensors? I imagine that there is some kind of variable resistance. I was thinking of getting some used sensors from a junk yard to see if I could repair them. But if they use some kind of load cell technology, then I would be wasting my time.

I would really like to get the RSS working as it is suppost to. I just don't want to spend $3-500 more to get the system wroking.

It seems that there would be a good aftermarket for these items.

Thanks,,

Britt

Britt

Barry,

I am interested in your circuit, I get a lot of requests from people with 93 - 95 caddies looking for ways to bypass the SRC message. I have only discussed the resistor for the CVRSS system and injectors for RSS systems.

If you have details, you can send them to me at maydog@hotmail.com and I will gladly host them at my website.

You have mail.

Thanks for hosting this information.

Barry

2008 STS V8
2016 Colorado Z71
1970 Corvette LT-1 Coupe

Barry,

Please send me your repair information.

I too have the SO60 & 61 error codes. I'm a little frustrated as I spent big bucks on the strut replacements. As I said earlier, I bought them a while back. They have been sitting on the shelf until recently. I had a shop put them in as the car would need alignment afterwards. I can't recall if I had the SO60 & 61 error codes prior to the strut replacements or not. (I don't think that I did.) I have wondered if the mechanic hyperextedded the sensors when he replaced the struts. If so, that may have damaged them. It has been to much time since then to claim any damages, so I will have to bite the bullet on that account.

Do you recall what kind of mechanisim was inside the sensors? I imagine that there is some kind of variable resistance. I was thinking of getting some used sensors from a junk yard to see if I could repair them. But if they use some kind of load cell technology, then I would be wasting my time.

I would really like to get the RSS working as it is suppost to. I just don't want to spend $3-500 more to get the system wroking.

It seems that there would be a good aftermarket for these items.

Thanks,,

Britt

Britt,

This seems to be a very common failure for Caddy's.

- You asked if the mechanic may have over extended the sensor.

The rod/actuator is not really attached to the sensor. If you disconnect the rod and remove the boot, the rod will fall out of the sensor.

That kind of answers another question.

- Is the rod attached to a variable resistor.

No, the rod just enters the sensor with no physical connection to the sensor.

Although it is sealed in this area, I believe there is a coil and that the rod actually is used to change the inductance of that coil.

I spent a fair bit of time trying to repair one of my sensors. The circuit card consists if IC's and some tiny resistors and Caps.

Since my sensor was intermittent, I could bench test it with it working as well as not working.

I simply got frustrated trying to understand the circuit.

That's when I decided to bypass the sensors completely.

I even tried contacting the company that manufactured these sensors.

That was a waste of time.

At the time they were sueing GM over some issues.

GM should be sueing them over these crappy sensors.

Anyway, we can bypass them and eliminate the S060,61 failure codes.

Barry

2008 STS V8
2016 Colorado Z71
1970 Corvette LT-1 Coupe

Hey Barry,

Since i had my 94 STS for a year, i get the codes so61 right sensor, and so62 left rear sensor, what info do you have for me to get this corrected.

Hi,

Maydog was kind enough to post the information on his site.

Here is the link.

If you have any questions, I'll try to help.

Barry

2008 STS V8
2016 Colorado Z71
1970 Corvette LT-1 Coupe

• 4 weeks later...

Barry - great info - I too have a 94 STS but my original front struts are long trashed replaced with passives & I had tried countless types of resistor sizes to "fake" it.

I'm confused though - I recall only two wires in the original harness however - is that right? From the original senor in the strut, was the ground somehow attached to the strut itself? Or is it different in the front?

Decosse,

Its been a while, I think. Were you back at the ol' gmforums?

The fix we are talking about here is regarding the position sensors, not the strut actuators. Some folks here (Goodyr) have had luck in bypassing the strut actuator errors with an inductive type load (fuel injector).

The position sensor is a 3 wire hookup and the strut actuator is a 2 wire hookup. I have some details on my website also get comfortable with the search feature as this has been discussed several times.

Thanks for remembering me Maydog - the Caddy has behaving itself lately and I was researching a new issue (unrelated) & just came across this.

Good advice re the search - shame on me, I was actually using it to research my primary issue and only did a cursory search on the sensor thing and going more from memory.

• 5 years later...

Barry could you please send me this information as I cannot locate a replacement sensor for my 1995 STS.

Thanks,

Ken Schramm

ken.schramm@yahoo.com

S060 & S061 errors.

Barry

Barry could you please send me this information as I cannot locate a replacement sensor for my 1995 STS.

Thanks,

Ken Schramm

ken.schramm@yahoo.com

S060 & S061 errors.

Barry

Hi Ken, I sent you the information. If you have any questions, please ask.

Barry

2008 STS V8
2016 Colorado Z71
1970 Corvette LT-1 Coupe

• 1 year later...

Hello, I am in the same boat with a 1995 STS. I have had the Service Ride Control message come on immediately for two years now and I am pulling a code S071 and have never been able to locate the right front accelerometer. Not on the back of the strut tower and I heard it possibly could be under the seat but I've had no luck. Car rides perfectly fine though. Can you, Barry (or anyone) send me detailed information on where this resistor needs to be placed. Also, I have zero experience with electronics, the diagram I found of yours looks like absolute Greek to me. Is there anyway I could purchase a pre-made resistor from someone? Thanks for all the help.

Barry,

It is interesting that this post poped up in 2012 (orignally posted in 2005)

If it is still available, I would also like a copy of your Circuit to replace the sensor.

I have had SO60 and SO61 codes for years

The reference maydog web site no longer works

Thank you

VinceP

Hi Vince, just happened to check in and saw your post.

Here is the text of the information. I don't see any way to attach the diagram, send me a message (IM) with your email address and I will forward the .jpg. (Can you still do an IM in this site?)

Thanks, Barry

====================================================================================

There are SEVERAL things that can cause the "Service Ride Control" message to be displayed.

You first need to be absolutely sure what component is causing the fault.

Error S060 & S061 have nothing to do with the struts. It only involves the position sensor.

These position sensors fail frequently. They are expensive to replace.

Both my front position sensors failed on my '94. I could not give GM

$500.00 each for $25.00 worth of sensors. So I "bypassed" the sensor to keep the

computer "happy"..

If you check out the wiring and also see if the actuator arm is still connected, and it still sets a code, then likely

your sensor has failed.

The following is a procedure to bypass a failed position sensor.

There are three wires to the sensor.

Each sensor has a "supply" voltage, usually 8V DC.

Each sensor has a ground wire.

Each sensor has a "signal" output back to the computer.

When the signal goes outside of it's operating range (Operating Range 0 - 5V), the computer

will report a fault with that sensor.

The front position sensors work on an output signal of 0 - 5V, where 2.5V is the "normal"

output for the sensor when you are driving normal on a flat road.

What you need to do is to provide a constant 2.5v voltage to the "signal" line of the sensor.

The computer will think you're driving on flat level road. (forever)

You do this by removing the sensor from the car and removing the clear "filler" that covers

the circuit card in the sensor. I used a sharpened popsicle stick. (Didn't want to destroy anything by using a metal object)

Expose the three wires entering the sensor.(On the front Position sensors, Purple=8V, Black=Ground, Orange=Signal back to the computer.

Cut them from the circuit card.

Attach one end of a 220 Ohm 1/4 watt resistor to the Purple=8V wire.

Attach the other end of the resistor to the Orange=Signal wire.

Also attach a Zener Diode (2.5V rating) to the Orange=Signal wire, and the other end to Black=ground.

(Resistor & Zener Diode available from a electronics store, eg. Radio Shack)

This will provide a constant 2.5V reference to the computer.

(After you have tested it.)

Seal up the sensor with lots of RTV to provide a water/weather tight area of the repair.

The computer will never complain again about the sensor.

If you are looking for an "easy" fix, then perhaps this is not it.

It is however a very inexpensive fix.

You do need a little understanding of soldering wires.

2008 STS V8
2016 Colorado Z71
1970 Corvette LT-1 Coupe

Barry,

Thank you. A very elegant solution.

The wire color code on my position sensors are different. It is easy to figure out what wire the power, signal and gound are.

Your circuit is very simple. One 2.5Volt Zener diode, One 220ohm resistor (1/4watt). Add some RTV to seal everything.

Again Thank you

Vince

• 7 years later...
On 3/2/2005 at 12:01 AM, Barry94 said:

S060 & S061 errors.

Barry

lbsofsoul@gmail.com 

1 hour ago, Terrence Mayes said:

lbsofsoul@gmail.com 

@Terrence Mayes, you would be best to drop @Barry94 a private message to get his attention.   I paged him here and that might help.

Pre-1995 - DTC codes OBD1  >>

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

1 hour ago, BodybyFisher said:

@Terrence Mayes, you would be best to drop @Barry94 a private message to get his attention.   I paged him here and that might help.

Thanks BodybyFisher for the notification.  I sent Terrence the circuit diagram.  Barry

2008 STS V8
2016 Colorado Z71
1970 Corvette LT-1 Coupe

19 minutes ago, Barry94 said:

Thanks BodybyFisher for the notification.  I sent Terrence the circuit diagram.  Barry

Fantastic @Barry94 you are the man!    Could you send it to me also?, do you need an email or can it be PM'd here.   Thanks for being there

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

36 minutes ago, BodybyFisher said:

Fantastic @Barry94 you are the man!    Could you send it to me also?, do you need an email or can it be PM'd here.   Thanks for being there

If I did it correctly,  the diagram should appear here in this post.  Crude hand drawn, however gets the job done.

RSS Sensor.jpg

2008 STS V8
2016 Colorado Z71
1970 Corvette LT-1 Coupe

Hey you did it correctly, thank you Barry, hope you are doing well, thanks again, Mike