CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

2004 deville transmission problems

So long story short 2 months ago my caddy started shifting hard while driving. It would go a day or two without a hitch but then act up at a red light or stop sign. I would pull over shut it off and start it and go on my way with no more problems shifting again for days. My wife and I moved a month ago and the caddy finally poped the dreded p0741 code and would not shift anymore at all. We got settled in to our new house and I  got to work on the car. Did my homework and found that the center plate, tcc and most cases torque converter are to blame. Dropped Tran and replaced all three plus new epc sol. Got it back together erased all codes and drove it. I was very impressed with the new found torque and smooth shifting. Drove it for 4 plus hours. Come home parked it and wife took it the next morning and before she got to the end of our street it fell on it's face again. P0973 p0976 p2764 is all I got for codes and I reset the pcm four times and they keep coming back in a matter of seconds of shifting into drive.

First, check the trans fluid and make sure the TConverter fluid isn't mixed with the trans fluid.

Second, I would check the main transmission harness & connector for pulled connectors or pinched wiring.

THERE IS ALWAYS ENOUGH TIME TO DO THE JOB RIGHT - THERE IS NEVER ENOUGH TIME TO DO THE JOB AGAIN !!!

Transmission codes....

P0973....

The 1-2 shift solenoid (SS) valve controls transmission fluid pressure acting on the 1-2 and 3-4 shift valves to position the valves for the appropriate gear. The 1-2 SS valve is a normally open exhaust valve located on the lower control valve body. Ignition 1 voltage is supplied to the solenoid. The powertrain control module (PCM) commands the 1-2 SS solenoid ON or OFF by providing a ground path. When the 1-2 SS valve is commanded ON, the PCM senses low voltage. When the 1-2 SS valve is commanded OFF, the PCM senses high voltage.

If the PCM detects a continuous open or short to ground in the 1-2 SS valve circuit, then DTC P0973 sets. DTC P0973 is a type B DTC.

P0976....

The 2-3 shift solenoid (SS) valve controls the transmission fluid pressure acting on the 1-2 and 2-3 shift valves to position the valves for the appropriate gear. The 2-3 SS valve is a normally open exhaust valve located on the lower control valve body. Ignition 1 voltage is supplied to the solenoid. The powertrain control module (PCM) commands the solenoid ON or OFF by providing a ground path. When the 2-3 SS valve is commanded ON, the PCM senses low voltage. When the 2-3 SS valve is commanded OFF, the PCM senses high voltage.

If the PCM detects a continuous open or short to ground in the 2-3 SS valve circuit, then DTC P0976 sets. DTC P0976 is a type A DTC.

P2764....

The ignition 1 voltage is supplied to the torque converter clutch pulse width modulated (TCC PWM) solenoid valve. The powertrain control module (PCM) controls the ON and OFF time of the TCC PWM solenoid by controlling the ground side of the TCC solenoid valve control circuit. The PCM uses a PWM duty cycle, in order to control application and release of the TCC. When the solenoid is commanded OFF, the PCM senses high voltage. When the solenoid is commanded ON, the PCM senses low voltage.

When the PCM detects a continuous open or short to ground in the TCC Solenoid valve control circuit, then DTC P2764 sets. DTC P2764 is a type B DTC.

So I have the actual factory transmission manual coming because I need the wiring diagram for it so I can rule out a short in the wires. I just can't believe all three went bad at once. I know the older devilles had a TCM module which I would belive to be culprit  but I think 04 and up they changed it. I Did not pay that close attention when I put new shift solenoids in. I basically rebuilt it minus steel and clutches drove it for about 4 hours and parked it. I appreciate the feedback and yes the transmission fluid was very clean with just a dab of grey material on the magnet in the pan on my taredown but everyone said replace torque converter and all solenoids. I don't want to drop the pan until I can rule out the harness to the transmission first but it's probably internal or the plug itself from what you guys are saying.

• 2 weeks later...

Check grounds to make sure all went back.

Pre-1995 - DTC codes OBD1  >>

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

Archived