CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

R + R 'd my driver window regulator a few weeks ago and put it all back together as best as I could. Window regulator works fine. (Napa, approx. $80) 

Now, occasionally, when I open my door, (even the passenger door) my car alarm goes off, won't cancel with my pendant red button, but will go off when I put key in ignition. A message"theft attempted" shows up on my display. It doesn't seem to do it when I use the remote to open the door locks.

I'm hoping that there is a "reset" somewhere to stop this, and will not require me to open up the panel again. Is there some  connection I missed on the door?

Gurus...do your stuff!

signed...Hopeful

Does it only go off when unlocking the door(s)?

With the key and the fob or one and not the other?

Did you disconnect the battery when you removed the door panel?

I ask this because you may want to try this. When you remove the door panel it can mess with that doors door module

Did you have any issues removing and reinstalling the door panel?

they can be easily damaged if not done properly

Also the plug that is secured to the door panel is meant to snap back into place when reinstalled 

GM FAN FOREVER

Nice, clean, luxury= fine automobile

Since it has been weeks since the window regulator install, I doubt if the two are related.

You stated the alarm sounds when you are unlocking the door with the key, does your passenger door have a key slot? My '99 Deville didn't. I'm guessing you must be using the central unlocking.

13 hours ago, Nohilow said:

Now, occasionally, when I open my door, (even the passenger door) my car alarm goes off

Since the system operates normally when locking and unlocking with the remote, I would suspect the door module and or the door lock actuator because the security system is not seeing the door unlock.

Check this...( don't open the doors, observe the door locks and see if they respond correctly )

Your vehicle has a central door unlocking mode. When unlocking the driver’s door, you can unlock the other doors by holding the key in the turned position for a few seconds or by quickly turning the door key twice in the lock cylinder. Try this unlocking and locking the doors

If this fails to unlock/lock the doors watch the security light and see what it is doing, is it flashing?

A couple of FYI's, the red button is a panic button to sound the alarm if you or someone near you is feeling threatened. Using the unlock button on the remote cancels the alarm.

won't cancel with my pendant red button

Also,

but will go off when I put key in ignition.

This cancels the alarm because you have told the module that the correct key is present.

Remember, the theft-deterrent system won’t arm if you lock the doors with a key or use the manual door lock. It activates only if you use a power door lock with the door open or the remote keyless entry transmitter. The vehicle should be locked with the door key or the manual door lock after the doors are closed if you don’t want to arm the theft-deterrent system. Always unlock a door with a key or use the remote keyless entry transmitter. Pressing the unlock button on the remote keyless entry transmitter disables the theft-deterrent system. Unlocking a door any other way will activate the alarm when a door or the trunk is opened. 

Testing the Alarm

1. From inside the vehicle, roll down the window, then get out of the vehicle, keeping the door open.

2. From outside of the vehicle, with the door open, lock the vehicle using the power door lock or the remote keyless entry system and close the door. Wait 30 seconds until the SECURITY lamp goes off.

3. Reach in and unlock the door using the manual lock and open the door. The horn will sound and the hazard lights will flash. You can turn off the alarm by unlocking the driver’s door with your key, using the unlock button on the remote keyless entry transmitter or by starting the car with a valid key.

THERE IS ALWAYS ENOUGH TIME TO DO THE JOB RIGHT - THERE IS NEVER ENOUGH TIME TO DO THE JOB AGAIN !!!

• 1 month later...

Archived