CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Fuel guage problems

carl425

Okay, I ,haven't been around this board a whole lot since the style changed and what not, but I used to frequent Bruce's original board pretty frequently back when I first purchased my Caddy. Some of you hard core forumers (is that a word??) may remember the glory days of that engineer from GM named Al that was a WEALTH of great info on that board until a bonehead named Dieter ran him off...

Anyway, the problem we're having now is the gas/fuel guage shows full most of the time and will jump around erratically at no certain time. It has never been fueled while running but we did have to replace all the O2 sensors at about 35k (now at 96k) because of some Entech "Gold" or "Super Preimum" gas that GM found to have WAY too much silicone in it. All repaired under warranty but I'm getting off track. Thought it might be pertinent to current problem though...

I took it to a guy down the road who knows his Caddy's but set my respect level back today when I picked it up because he told me it was the IPC (Instrument Panel Cluster) that was bad. He had to order one through GM and give them all of our current data so they could send a refurbished one to him with all our info in it already. So $650 (just for that part!!) later my guage still doesn't work properly. I told him when I dropped it off I thought it was the sending unit but he said it probably wasn't. I'm thinking there has to be a way to trouble shoot this problem prior to buying expensive parts.

Anyone?? I'd like to be able to go back and tell this guy to eat the price of the part (especially since he told me $350 to begin with...) and I'll pay to have a new sending unit put in.

Why didn't he suspect the sending unit in the tank? That's the part that comes in contact with the "high silicone gas". By the way, that's the most creative explanation I've heard yet for high sulfur gas which didn't pass the silver strip test.

By the way also, do you remember the Lexus TV commercial that showed the gold plated wire somewhere near the gas tank? Did you ever wonder why that would be important?

Unfortunately, I think the sending unit is part of the fuel pump assembly and sold as one part for about $800.00. Please check this out before believing what I'm telling you, I could be wrong on all counts, and usually am. What type of car was this problem on again?

Never underestimate the amount of a persons greed.

FWIW, the last time I replaced a GM fuel pump it was on an S10 Blazer. I suspect they are all the same. The pump and sending unit were seperate units that just pluged together as I recall.

Okay, I ,haven't been around this board a whole lot since the style changed and what not, but I used to frequent Bruce's original board pretty frequently back when I first purchased my Caddy. Some of you hard core forumers (is that a word??) may remember the glory days of that engineer from GM named Al that was a WEALTH of great info on that board until a bonehead named Dieter ran him off...

Our resident Caddy Engineer is Bbobynsky now. He is pretty good friends with "Al". LOL

What about a bad ground?

• 3 months later...

For anyone still following this topic, I am happy to report that the problem was, in fact, the IPC. The reason it still didin't work after he installed it was because a pin was bent where one of the hanresses plugs into it.

What a pain, but we're back to knowing how much gas is on hand....

:lol:

Ranger , sometime after the turn of the century , GM , in keeping with its component mentality, went to a fuel pump sending unit component, it was only sold one way, together. not seperate. I know for a fact that chevrolet had the combined unit in a lot of their cars, when the pumps started to go bad and the owners were told that to replace the pump , the part was going to be 450, to 700 dollars just for the assembly , not including labor , the owners went ballistic , as they should have. Now , it is my understanding from the service manager i know that they have now gone back to seperate units, due to customer pressure. I do not know about Cad , being on this train, but i feel sure that they were not left at the station on this combining of the sending unit and the fuel pump. AS the 2000 and later car fuel pumps start to go bad , i am sure we will hear from fellow board members on this subject.

Archived