CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

96 DeVille turns over but won't start

kklinger

My cadillac was running fine until Monday morning when it wouldn't start. Turns over and lights, radio, etc. work. Checked fuses, cleaned cables, and fuel pump kicks on. No new codes. Had the plugs and wires replaced by local mechanic about 6 weeks ago.

Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.

My cadillac was running fine until Monday morning when it wouldn't start. Turns over and lights, radio, etc. work. Checked fuses, cleaned cables, and fuel pump kicks on. No new codes. Had the plugs and wires replaced by local mechanic about 6 weeks ago.

Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.

Have you determined if you are getting spark and fuel? I would connect a fuel pressure gauge and check for fuel pressure. Your fuel pump could be running but not producing pressure. And check for spark at each coil. Do not pull the wire out of the coil and let the sparks fly around you can damage sensitive sensors and electronics with a well placed zap.. See if you can find an Ignition Spark Tool, like one of these that will do the job.. Mike

http://www.mytoolstore.com/toolaid/diagn03.html

Check the fuel pressure regulator(FPR), pull the vacuum hose off, if it has one, and have someone turn the key on to pressurize the fuel system. If gas come out the vacuum nipple then change your FPR.

I will pick up a fuel pressure guage and fuel filter tomorrow. Is the fuel filter on a 96 Deville between the driver's door and back tire? Thanks.

I think its between the front door and the front wheel inside the frame rail, but I will look at my 96 manual and post a photo of its location. Its outside in the garage right now, Mike

Checked the FPR, it doesn't leak. Put a fuel pressure guage on and NO fuel pressure. I'm not sure if the fuel pump is kicking on when I turn the key, I thought it was but now I'm not sure. It does click. Funny thing happened when it was trying to turn over, one time the hood popped open and another time the gas door popped open. Any thought????

If you have zero fuel pressure, the pump is not running. Have someone turn the key ON while you have an ear to the open fuel filler pipe. It should run for 2-3 seconds and you should be able to hear it IF it is running.

Archived