CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Hey guys,

I was wondering if any of you have successfully programmed a new fob without a dealer/scantool.  I found a set of instructions on the web but it's not correct, it tells you to enter diagnostic mode with the climate control, which isn't how it is. It says holding the "OFF" and "WARM" buttons, of which there is really neither on my 98... wondering if there is a way to enter another diagnostics mode other than the one to clear codes?  If you have any idea how to get to the settings, especially for the RFC, please let me know!! Thinking it just isn't possible with a 98, despite what some forums are saying....

Yes, Right side of Speedo cluster, press and hold info up AND on button for approx 3 seconds

release when the WOW display appears (you'll know it when you see it)

Once the wow display stops the info up button is used to scroll through the modules. info button is exit or back, scroll up or down until you get to RFA or RKE can't remember which it's called. The on- off button become the yes - no respectfully (on=yes  -  off=no) press yes when you see the display RKE? or RFA? scroll through until you get to FOB Programming, follow the on screen instructions.

If you have trouble let me know and I can do a run through on mr car and write it down. It is easier to do than it is to explain, believe ME !

IPSw.jpeg

THERE IS ALWAYS ENOUGH TIME TO DO THE JOB RIGHT - THERE IS NEVER ENOUGH TIME TO DO THE JOB AGAIN !!!

14 hours ago, OldCadTech said:

Yes, Right side of Speedo cluster, press and hold info up AND on button for approx 3 seconds

release when the WOW display appears (you'll know it when you see it)

Once the wow display stops the info up button is used to scroll through the modules. info button is exit or back, scroll up or down until you get to RFA or RKE can't remember which it's called. The on- off button become the yes - no respectfully (on=yes  -  off=no) press yes when you see the display RKE? or RFA? scroll through until you get to FOB Programming, follow the on screen instructions.

If you have trouble let me know and I can do a run through on mr car and write it down. It is easier to do than it is to explain, believe ME !

thanks, i will try it tonight but i thought that was only to clear the codes?

Hmmm.... You could be right, I may be mixing apples and oranges here. 

Let me get a chance to go through it. I checked the SM and it states enter through OBSD and that is the route I sent you on. It may be under feature programming though. I'll have to double check now :blush:

THERE IS ALWAYS ENOUGH TIME TO DO THE JOB RIGHT - THERE IS NEVER ENOUGH TIME TO DO THE JOB AGAIN !!!

13 hours ago, OldCadTech said:

Hmmm.... You could be right, I may be mixing apples and oranges here.

Let me get a chance to go through it. I checked the SM and it states enter through OBSD and that is the route I sent you on. It may be under feature programming though. I'll have to double check now :blush:

ok, i did try the way you said but i swear it's only to check and clear codes, you can scroll through each system, but then it only gives you options to read or clear the codes, and show the PROM ID... i'm thinking the dealer has to do this (or someone with a certain scantool)

I found this in the 98 Seville owners manual

Screenshot_2016-08-05-08-32-57_zpsnwowig

Pre-1995 - DTC codes OBD1  >>

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

I didn't get a chance to do the search through the dash, real life business issues took too much time.

I'll get back to it asap.

@BodybyFisher may be correct, 98 may be the start of the RKE transmitter only being programmable by a Tech2. BUT the owners manual would say take it to the dealer anyway, even if the kids' diapers were soiled!

I have the actual car you have so give me some time...

@OldCadTech  :yupi3ti:

When the ash tray gets full, schedule an appointment....

Pre-1995 - DTC codes OBD1  >>

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

Yeah, I programmed my 1997 fob a couple of times.  Once when I got it back from the dealer it did not respond to the fob at all, and I programmed it from scratch.  The procedure is in the 1997 FSM.  It's pretty much like OldCadTech says in his post from Thursday.

Personalization, turning on and off some dealer options (and a few factory options), etc. are done from the diagnostic mode, not just fob programming.  I turned off the irritating "Press brake to start engine" message on mine through the car's diagnostic mode, for example.  Other options are what the fob unlocks; if you live in the Bronx, you can have it just unlock the driver's door, for example.

Much of the personalization is available through the car's computer in my 2011.  I would hope that it is available in the 1998-200x.  I'm truly surprised that fob programming isn't there for 1998, and would want to see the FSM for myself.  I can check the 2002 FSM, which mostly applies to the 1998-2002 Sevilles and Devilles, if that will satisfy anyone's curiosity.

CTS-V_LateralGs_6-2018_tiny.jpg
-- Click Here for CaddyInfo page on "How To" Read Your OBD Codes
-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data
-- See my CaddyInfo car blogs: 2011 CTS-V, 1997 ETC
Yes, I was Jims_97_ETC before I changed cars.

Archived